Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 Wanting to Cut Out on Startup in Mornings

Views : 1968

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2018, 13:35   #11
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Starting

Just to be sure: are you starting without touching the accelerator pedal? If not, the idle speed controller cannot set the idle speed and the engine speed will fall back to the basic setting of approx. 500 rpm, which is too low to keep it running when cold.
I would certainly have the throttle position sensor (TPS) checked as it "tells" the computer when to control the engine speed.
Rversteeg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 14:46   #12
albertsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From what you've just said there Tracey, it sounds suspiciously like you need a new distributor cap and rotor arm, possibly also the non-return T-valve on the underside of the bonnet that supplies the washer jets.

As a general thing, Volvos don't usually suffer from damp unless something is wrong somewhere. When warm the idle speed should be about 700rpm, when cold between about 1000-1500rpm, the colder it is, the higher the revs will be until it warms up.

I'd hang fire on the sensor until you get the garage to investigate the dizzy cap and rotor arm, something is being effected by damp from what you've said, the sensor responds to temperature change within the engine.
Hi thanks for the advice, car is now booked in with garage, only they only deal with it mechanically not electrics, so the knocking will be sorted on the left wheel, but George Reid does the electrics, but hes busy so just need to source a distributor and order the temp sensor at same time.
Hubby has checked later today if there is leakage from the t-junction at water jets, nothing leaking so must be the distributor as the orange cap reveals a crack of some sort he said.
albertsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 14:49   #13
albertsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
Just to be sure: are you starting without touching the accelerator pedal? If not, the idle speed controller cannot set the idle speed and the engine speed will fall back to the basic setting of approx. 500 rpm, which is too low to keep it running when cold.
I would certainly have the throttle position sensor (TPS) checked as it "tells" the computer when to control the engine speed.
the car has had this problem since we bought it, last owner couldnt find the problem either. No the accelerator isnt pressed before turning the key, but now with it being cold in the mornings, turning the key then holding down the pedal to keep it going.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 14:51   #14
albertsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
Best thing to do is give it a good high Rev to around 3000-5000rpm just quickly not for a prolonged period. This will clear anything out that might stop the idle control valve working. Mine idles well after that which shows it is the idle control valve being blocked up with oil. I don't recommend doing it all the time due to oil needing time to heat up and get around the engine but it will help diagnose what it might be.
I have to do that whenever I need to use the car for work. I dont set off until im sure its warmed up, because its and automatic I wont reverse it off the drive until I know its not going to stall in the middle of the road.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 16:49   #15
albertsmith

Update, husband started it again at lunchtime at work, the car was lumpy as buggery. Hes just been out to it again five minutes ago and ran like a dream. Hes hoping it will be fine when he finishes at 4.30pm.

Weird???
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 00:45   #16
Jimsiss

It’s sounding like the idle control valve then, it’s under the inlet manifold in a rubber grommeted bracket with 2 jubilee clips holding it to the pipes and 1 electrical connector. Take it out and clean it and it should idle better but the crankcase vent is probably mostly blocked so it’ll blow oil into it again. It’s free to clean as long as you have carb cleaner or something similar to break the oil down.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 08:01   #17
albertsmith

Again yesterday and today bit lumpy again starting but the car runs like a dream as soon as it goes.

So idle control valve, well ill ask him to give it a clean this weekend before spending any more money on parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 09:28   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsmith View Post
Hi thanks for the advice, car is now booked in with garage, only they only deal with it mechanically not electrics, so the knocking will be sorted on the left wheel, but George Reid does the electrics, but hes busy so just need to source a distributor and order the temp sensor at same time.
Hubby has checked later today if there is leakage from the t-junction at water jets, nothing leaking so must be the distributor as the orange cap reveals a crack of some sort he said.
If the dizzy cap is cracked, that will almost certainly be your problem. Worth replacing the rotor arm at the same time to be on the safe side.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:28   #19
albertsmith

Right now hes cleaned the idle control valve with carb cleaner its now lumpy and burning black smoke fromengine so the cleaner has made it worse. You can smell the carb cleaner. It was black inside, its now shiny.

How long should we leave it before starting car again?
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:47   #20
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Black smoke .... from the engine? Where is the smoke ?????

A damaged dizzy cap is a definite problem. Init.

After cleaning a control valve? I guess, providing it has been done okies, not within my experience yet, then .... perhaps give the car a good drive ... it is still in recovery? And the electronics might need to sense and adjust to the situation.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote