Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brakes how bad are they

Views : 2007

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 08:21   #21
Underdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Indeed no one here has explained ABS properly ... it's sole purpose is:
TO BE ABLE TO STEER whilst using full brake pressure rather than the wheels locking and going in a straight line where ever you steer ...
I would disagree about it's SOLE purpose. It's certainly one of the benefits of ABS, panic/emergency braking where ABS usually comes into play will more often than not happen in a straight line.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 08:38   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
I would disagree about it's SOLE purpose. It's certainly one of the benefits of ABS, panic/emergency braking where ABS usually comes into play will more often than not happen in a straight line.
I would have to agree with that and rephrase it as "the primary purpose of ABS is to allow the driver to maintain control during emergency braking where a skid might otherwise have occurred due to a slippery road surface".

It isn't infallible though, an ex girlfriend many moons ago thought she could drive how she liked in cy conditions because she had ABS - result, one 4-wheel skid and a neat pirouette up the embankment!

Later (in warm, dry weather) same girlfriend shoved her mascara brush up her left nostril while applying mascara at 90mph on a bumpy road!

Draw your own conclusions about her driving but if a car doesn't have good tyres and suspension, even ABS won't prevent a skid in slippery conditions - it's a driver aid, no more, no less. In other words, drive like a numpty, involuntarily explore the scenery!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 10:50   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
in the many 10's of 1000's of miles i have driven in volvos since ABS was introduced in 1982 , ABS has never engaged with me . it will help in accident scenarios but it cant defy the laws of physics ie mass vesus speed verus tyre grip ... Its greatest benefit is being able to STEER whilst panic braking..

braking and steering will be an automatic reaction anyway ...
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 11:03   #24
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I would have to agree with that and rephrase it as "the primary purpose of ABS is to allow the driver to maintain control during emergency braking where a skid might otherwise have occurred due to a slippery road surface".

It isn't infallible though, an ex girlfriend many moons ago thought she could drive how she liked in cy conditions because she had ABS - result, one 4-wheel skid and a neat pirouette up the embankment!

Later (in warm, dry weather) same girlfriend shoved her mascara brush up her left nostril while applying mascara at 90mph on a bumpy road!

Draw your own conclusions about her driving but if a car doesn't have good tyres and suspension, even ABS won't prevent a skid in slippery conditions - it's a driver aid, no more, no less. In other words, drive like a numpty, involuntarily explore the scenery!
That sounds suspiciously like one of those "I have a friend with a problem" stories!

#####

As you say if there is to friction where the tyres meet whatever surface they are in contact with then nothing - not even a clever computer can do much about undesirable momentum...

...I've noticed (mainly on Top Gear) that cars now flash lights and indicators to draw attention to numpty activity behind the steering wheel / loss of stability / traction.

I guess these systems are going to have to get more and more advanced when cars really start to drive themselves. I assume they are going to have cameras that can sense speed in all driving conditions as well as sensors that detect changes in speed and acceleration of parts of the vehicle as well as the vehicle as a whole. GPS certainly isn't going to help - particularly at lower vehicle speeds.

If you were actually allowed to be an automotive engineer (rather than a yes man on a commitee) I think now would be a very interesting period of automotive development.

The introduction of newer thinking from some electric vehicler producers is essentially anarchy in the staid and lazy conventional automotive industry...

[Note I'm avoiding the use of the term "legacy car makers" as for some reason it reminds me of crappy computer software - can't imagine why]
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 11:07   #25
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
in the many 10's of 1000's of miles i have driven in volvos since ABS was introduced in 1982 , ABS has never engaged with me . it will help in accident scenarios but it cant defy the laws of physics ie mass vesus speed verus tyre grip ... Its greatest benefit is being able to STEER whilst panic braking..

I've had to brake hard in my Mercedes W201 and have been startled by the pumping action feeling I got through the brake pedal - I really had to "think" [Imagine that! My freedom was disrupted by an undesirable emotion!] about not lifting my foot from the brake pedal to allow the ABS to do its job...

...I have no idea what it would be like to lock up wheels on a more modern car - especially something with fly by wire controls...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 11:22   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I've had the ABS engage on slippery surfaces under normal braking and only three times during emergency braking - i also used cadence braking some 20 years ago to prevent a multiple pile up on the M3 but someone behind me didn't know how to use cadence braking and didn't have ABS despite being in a new vehicle.

As i said when i rephrased the comment above, ABS is designed to help maiantain control which not only covers steering but also traction for braking and stability of the vehicle as well. Ideally you shouldn't be braking while steering but in an emergency situation those rules aren't always possible to apply.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: