Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 factory Bi-fuel mis-fire Cyl 1&5

Views : 1336

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:46   #1
volvolvo

Default 2003 V70 factory Bi-fuel mis-fire Cyl 1&5

I bought this Bi-Fuel V70 several years ago from Crew and after a lot of LPG hassles worked out I needed a new stepper motor about £340 in 2016. I have fitted it and had pretty good running. However I have been getting yellow engine warning lately which with my brilliant commercial Autel tool (MaxiDAS DS708 £500 second hand) it brings up error code 3502 on the Engine ECM misfire on cylinders 1 and 5. When I run the live diagnostics you can see the misfire count climb running under LPG but switching over to petrol there are very few if any misfires.
The problem is exacerabted by this cold weather and when the engine is warm the misfires tend to settle down but on idle in cold weather it can often throw up the Yellow engine fault and subsequent Misfire diagnostic which will clear on erasing the code. The engine can be days or weeks without a misfire then all of a sudden as this morning took a while to reset clear and reset. So my thoughts are that it might be
1 plug coils on cyl 1 and 5 but have swapped with no effect
2 possible air leak on hoses but have checked and they look ok
3 LPG filter has passed dirt to the Stepper piston that has very critical clearence with the body since when warm the misfires as the slightly lumpy running dissappears and misfires much reduced or absent but have changed filter
4 in the warmer summer weather dont seem to have these problems
5 One peculiar point is when I park the car on grass say at a steam rally it became very sluggish on LPG as if fuel starvation but on switching to petrol all was ok so is this a condensation problem in the stepper motor due to contaminated LPG
6 Sadly Shell have stopped selling LPG so obtaining it from a good source is more difficult. ASDA still sell it at Queensferry but they think they might stop so with fewe people using LPG (or even know what it is ie a valuable intermediate fuel till we all go to Hydrogen!.... LOL)
7 so will fill up from a different source near Chester and see if it helps as I filled up from Morrisons in Wrexam and had loads of misfire problems from their LPG so suspec the tanks are not regularly cleaned out?
8 Anyone with a similar problem let me know and how you cured it.
9 I am also after a new set of the 5 rubber hoses that go from the stepper body to the cylinder head anyone got any for sale?
10 someone mentioned turning the delivery pressure up presumably via the pressure vapouriser and on my factory fitted one it has the single hex bolt in the middle but seems to make little difference but only turning slightly and marking it so it can be returned to original setting. Anyone know how to set this easily with a guage?

TTFN

Kevin
volvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 12:05   #2
ele288

Your misfire is caused by dirty distributor, disconnect the filter hose and pour some injector cleaner, leave for few hrs or overnight and this should sort the issue or strip down the distributor and clean or rebuild. Don't play with adjustment of the pressure, there is to hex bolts, one on the bottom and other on top. You need manometer to adjust the pressure and car has to have over half a tank of lpg, normal operating temp and ideal around 21C outside. Volvo has a special tool to check the pressure but manometer can be used as well
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 14:11   #3
Russki

The best you can do is to replace the Evaporator with a different unit. I did with mine and it went fine for 2y.
There is not too much special about that Volvo system. You can adjust the pressure with this manual attached. Use google translate if you don't know Russian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf koltec.pdf (948.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: zip Manual.zip (29.8 KB, 5 views)
Russki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyl 1and 5, misfire, volvo bi-fuel 2003