Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric Vehicle conversion for 700/900 ?

Views : 7164

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2022, 17:07   #51
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Well that kind of puts the final nail in the LPG coffin for me - and I'm livid, believe me!

I work in Sheffield, and they recently changed their 'green parking' initiative to be electric and hybrid vehicles only - it used to include LPG. Morrisons is the only LPG supplier that can be relied upon around my commuting run, so if THEY are removing LPG from their forecourts, then it makes it utterly unviable as an alternative clean fuel.

I've run an LPG car before (a V70R), and it was superb. No drop in power (despite the neigh sayers), yes a slight drop in economy but the cheaper fuel cost more than made up for that - and the clean burn of the fuel could be readily seen in how clean the oil stayed.

I was going to put LPG into my daily driver, but now that is obviously a non starter, so it'll stay on petrol. No doubt our older 'polluting' (grrrrr!) cars will be taxed off the road in the years to come - in preference to 'clean' electric vehicles that are made by raping the planet for rare earth elements, and produce tonnes of pollution during manufacture. And then there is the issue of electricity generation... where we cannot support the demand we already have, let alone all these extra electric cars that we are being encouraged/forced to buy. I said I was livid
One of the big things when i bought my Jag recently was the fact it had LPG and is one of the few cars i've known to reverse the trend of lower economy on LPG compared to petrol, the fuel computer says 20mpg and i've actually had 22mpg, that was mainly short runs though. Longer runs is 24-25mpg and really long runs are 31-32mpg, all by the fuel computer so add on 10% then factor in 80-100p/L instead of ~180p/L for super unleaded - cheap motoring!

Going back a few years (4 or 5 i think) the govt said LPG would continue to be available for at least 10 years - that still means the 10 years expires before 2030 annoyingly!

Why do govts do this???? A clean (by comparison) fuel and they don't encourage people to use it, instead forcing people to buy new cars (we can't all afford brand new cars) that are electric that will be just another passing fad like diseasel was, noww the health problems are coming into the public domain.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 17:46   #52
capt jack
VOC Member

My LPG'd V70 was the best car I ever owned. It did over 250,000 miles for me on LPG, and because I used it for work and could claim at 45p per mile, over the 9 years I owned the car it actually made me a profit - even taking into account the purchase price!

I had thought about getting my current 1997 S90 converted, but couldn't find anyone to do it. Apparently more modern cars are too risky to convert because the quality of the cylinder head castings isn't up to the hammering from LPG, the complexities of modern computer-driven cars is a problem, and converters are reluctant to take a risk on the subsequent claims.

Even though from a technical perspective my car would happily run on LPG the installers I approached advised against it as being unviable. The £3000 cost would have been way more than the car is worth, and would have taken too long for me to recoup.

This means that LPG is dying, which is daft because it's greener and cleaner, and could definitely extend the service life of older petrol cars that are otherwise perfectly usable, just a bit polluting. And as has been said, upgrading an old petrol car is actually way better for the planet than buying a new electric car, but no-one seems to listen to common sense any more!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 20:21   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
My LPG'd V70 was the best car I ever owned. It did over 250,000 miles for me on LPG, and because I used it for work and could claim at 45p per mile, over the 9 years I owned the car it actually made me a profit - even taking into account the purchase price!

I had thought about getting my current 1997 S90 converted, but couldn't find anyone to do it. Apparently more modern cars are too risky to convert because the quality of the cylinder head castings isn't up to the hammering from LPG, the complexities of modern computer-driven cars is a problem, and converters are reluctant to take a risk on the subsequent claims.

Even though from a technical perspective my car would happily run on LPG the installers I approached advised against it as being unviable. The £3000 cost would have been way more than the car is worth, and would have taken too long for me to recoup.

This means that LPG is dying, which is daft because it's greener and cleaner, and could definitely extend the service life of older petrol cars that are otherwise perfectly usable, just a bit polluting. And as has been said, upgrading an old petrol car is actually way better for the planet than buying a new electric car, but no-one seems to listen to common sense any more!

Jack
My 1999 Jag S Type 3.0 was converted before i bought it, it sounds as if the people you've approached don't want the job!
It seems Morrisons will be discontinuing LPG from their forecourts (currently ~80p/L across most of the country) but my nearest LPG supplier is ~100p/L and only 12 miles away instead of 30+miles for the nearest Morrisons.

I totally agree it's the next best thing to zero emissions at point of use and as a by-product of petrol and diseasel production, is saving more "waste" gases being disposed off however they see fit.

Perhaps consider a secondhand kit, install yourself and get a local reputable LPG installer to set it up/certificate it and enter the car on the DVLA/LPG Register?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 20:28   #54
lynns hubby
Master Member

" but no-one seems to listen to common sense any more!"

Agreed. What's worse is the fact that the "Electric" car saga, seems now to be a Dictatorship with the government not interested in listening to anybody or anything, however well researched it is, that does not conform to their pre conceived ways.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:

Tags
conversion, electric vehicle