Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first diesel...additives and fuel brand.

Views : 1400

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2016, 20:56   #1
RM955I
Premier Member

Default My first diesel...additives and fuel brand.

I'll be picking up my new (to me) V70, 205bhp at the weekend with 112k on it (it's high mileage for the year but nothing astronomical and the price reflects this).

It'll need cambelt, tensioner, idlers etc and aux belts, tensioners, idlers etc doing and a service as per the guidelines.

Now, to the subject of diesel.

Are injector cleaners a good idea or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? If it is worth doing, is tank additive OK or one of the ones you add directly (Liquid Moly type).

On the subject of fuel, I generally use Tesco as it's handy (and cheap) and I've never had any problems. I'm assuming that someone will tell me only to use BP, Shell or similar?
Old Jan 20th, 2016, 21:05   #2
iain cooper

I would recommend using Shell V Power and no additives.

good for your fuel system, good for your engine, good for your performance, good for your economy.

Iain
Old Jan 20th, 2016, 21:06   #3
I-S
Premier Member

Diesel injectors do not suffer build-ups in the same way as petrol injectors and the benefits of such additives are questionable.

No doubt someone will come along and tell you that terraclean is the way to go, and yet distinctly fail to deliver any sort of objective quantifiable data to show the amazing effects they claim.

Quality fuel... I mostly run ours on shell. In the past with petrols I've found shell seemed better (although not necessarily reflected in my fuel data). I've only done a few tanks of non-shell in the V70, and there's no statistical significance to the data. Some people will say supermarket fuel will kill your car, but realistically... it won't.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2016, 21:33   #4
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post
I would recommend using Shell V Power and no additives.

good for your fuel system, good for your engine, good for your performance, good for your economy.

Iain
+1

(IAM member since 1986)
Cantankerous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 15:59   #5
green van man
Premier Member

I run 2T oil in the diesel, 5ml per litre in the hope it keeps the DPF cleaner. I also dose the tank with Lucas fuel addative occasionally, usually before a long run just in case. I would use shell if there was a garage near me but usually use branded, nearest supermarket is 17 miles away.

The Lucas addative has no noticeable effect on the Volvo but on the daughters polo that runs tesco regular diesel it is very noticeable when I dose it up.

The land rover likes the 2T, makes it a lot smoother.

Truly, just put in what you want to, the difference if any is very small and Volvo say no addatives should be used, of course they would they want to sell you replacement injectors and DPFs. In short I use them, I see very little improvement and no harm and it makes me feel better so just please yourself.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 17:58   #6
donutdobermann

Used BG244 on my MK11 S80 2.4 D5 Geartronic shortly after I purchased the car last February and has now covered 62500 miles. The reason I use BG244 is because it has a good write up and I used it every 12000-15000 miles on my 2003 BMW E39 530d, which I owned for over 5 years and sold it at 156,000 miles and never had any problems. Worth checking out?.
donutdobermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 18:54   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

Plus one for two stroke oil or 2T. 200:1 mix .As said it prevents DPF from clogging, lubes injectors and pumps . It also makes engine smoother and quieter with better pick up. Some say it improves mpg but to be honest the improvement is hardly noticeable. Oil MUST be mineral based ,low ash self mix. Whatever you do don't use synthetic 2T. I regularly use it with supermarket fuel . My last P2 had 180k and ran brilliantly current P3 has 116k and is still runs fáultlessly.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 20:00   #8
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I run 2T oil in the diesel, 5ml per litre in the hope it keeps the DPF cleaner. I also dose the tank with Lucas fuel addative occasionally, usually before a long run just in case. I would use shell if there was a garage near me but usually use branded, nearest supermarket is 17 miles away.

The Lucas addative has no noticeable effect on the Volvo but on the daughters polo that runs tesco regular diesel it is very noticeable when I dose it up.

The land rover likes the 2T, makes it a lot smoother.

Truly, just put in what you want to, the difference if any is very small and Volvo say no addatives should be used, of course they would they want to sell you replacement injectors and DPFs. In short I use them, I see very little improvement and no harm and it makes me feel better so just please yourself.

Paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Plus one for two stroke oil or 2T. 200:1 mix .As said it prevents DPF from clogging, lubes injectors and pumps . It also makes engine smoother and quieter with better pick up. Some say it improves mpg but to be honest the improvement is hardly noticeable. Oil MUST be mineral based ,low ash self mix. Whatever you do don't use synthetic 2T. I regularly use it with supermarket fuel . My last P2 had 180k and ran brilliantly current P3 has 116k and is still runs fáultlessly.
+1 on what GVM and Model flyer said, I have been using it for 2 years now without any problems, engine is smoother, quieter etc etc - but don't just take our word for it read down through what other people have been saying for the last 6 years in this link; http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60918
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 18:04   #9
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Shell V-Power and nothing else. I find the increase in cost pays itself in the slight MPG increase over a full tank. From my tracking app and checking on my own calculator the car does about 36 MPG as an average working out currently at around 13.5p per mile. I can live with that

As for smoothness etc, it's hard to say a D5 is in any way smooth or refined but it definitely goes well for an 8 year old 152k mile car!

Last edited by Sasha94; Jan 24th, 2016 at 18:08.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 18:58   #10
RM955I
Premier Member

I picked up my 2009 (2010) D5 today...gotta say I am very pleased with it. It's my first diesel and definitely needs a service plus cambelts etc but wow! ....What a massive improvement over my asthmatic P2 170 petrol. I can't comment on whether it's smooth or not but it has massive grunt and doesn't seem particularly gruff. In fairness I drove it very gently, not wanting to stress the overdue belt for fear of the obvious.

I did chuck 30 quid of Morrisons' finest in it but will give the branded stuff a try...or a shot of mineral 2 stroke.