Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic gearbox problem

Views : 937

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2024, 22:19   #11
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

This is a 2005 .
Should look like this when you get it off .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s60 auto knob.jpg (33.5 KB, 16 views)
VOLVOBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 13:30   #12
seventeenapg

Ok guys, update.
I got the shifter off today. Still the metal rod will not move out of park unless I use brute force. Once I get it out it will move ok. There seems to be a relationship between the keys and this unit cause sometimes when in park I can't remove the keys but can move the shifter into other positions. At other times in park I can then remove the keys but it's stuck in park.

Will I do any harm when I'm forcing it to move out of park??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20240226_132506.jpg (272.2 KB, 16 views)
seventeenapg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 14:35   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

There is a relationship with the keys yes - there is a solenoid somewhere that locks it in position

You can't take the keys out unless in park. And you can't take it out of park without the keys in and your foot on the brake

If that is not how it's operating then somethings gone wrong with that solenoid or the electrical connections etc

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 14:45   #14
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default Hi.

OK . Just check that when you squeeze the button that the white square on the end of the cable is lifting . All good ? So it`s not the button.
Next thing is to put your ear near to the shifter in "Park" and with ign. on press the brake pedal . You should hear the release solenoid operate . Hear nothing ? Then it could be the solenoid is faulty or the release cable from the Ign switch to the shifter mechanism is out of adjustment .
Search "Interlock" in the search box > There is more detailed info on what to look for/at .
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 20:36   #15
seventeenapg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
OK . Just check that when you squeeze the button that the white square on the end of the cable is lifting . All good ? So it`s not the button.
Next thing is to put your ear near to the shifter in "Park" and with ign. on press the brake pedal . You should hear the release solenoid operate . Hear nothing ? Then it could be the solenoid is faulty or the release cable from the Ign switch to the shifter mechanism is out of adjustment .
Search "Interlock" in the search box > There is more detailed info on what to look for/at .
Thank you. You're on the money here. The solenoid is working. I can hear the click when I hit the brake pedal. The issue is the cable from the ign switch. I can see it move (just a very little bit) when I turn and off ign. So with ign on I put my hand down and push the yellow plastic ring towards the rear of the car and I can easily move out of park. When back in park I can't take the keys out until I push the ring forwards.
I accidentally lifted the end of the black cable out of its retainer and now all works as it should . I know it's not ideal so either I need to adjust the cable or renew it.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 21:04   #16
seventeenapg

**Update**
Ok so the issue is with the interlock cable from ign switch to gear selector assembly. The cable is sticking. I've sprayed with three in one lubricant and temporarily taken the cable out of its clip holder. So all is working fine for now. I just need to remember to be careful with the selector as the safety mechanism is disabled.
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 16:43   #17
Nick6262

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventeenapg View Post
**Update**
Ok so the issue is with the interlock cable from ign switch to gear selector assembly. The cable is sticking. I've sprayed with three in one lubricant and temporarily taken the cable out of its clip holder. So all is working fine for now. I just need to remember to be careful with the selector as the safety mechanism is disabled.
Thanks for leaving an update once you fixed the problem. :-)

It's always super helpful for other users.

Did you manage not to hit yourself in the face whilst pulling the end of the gear selector off? I had to take mine out once as the plastic within the button snapped which mean there was no interlock whilst driving.
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 22:25   #18
seventeenapg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6262 View Post
Thanks for leaving an update once you fixed the problem. :-)

It's always super helpful for other users.

Did you manage not to hit yourself in the face whilst pulling the end of the gear selector off? I had to take mine out once as the plastic within the button snapped which mean there was no interlock whilst driving.
I really appreciate the help here and I think its therefore important to let the people who reach to help know how it all ended up.

And, yes, I nearly hit my face. It released with such a force !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to seventeenapg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 15:16   #19
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

This is an interesting thread as the button in my 2007 V70 is cracked and has begun to stick. You can feel a chunk of the plastic is missing from the button.

So far, just a little wiggling is needed to free things up but I should replace mine.

This knob removal procedure sounds interesting. Off to You tube I go.

BTW: Can anyone with VIDA parts look-up provide the number of the replacement button and shaft part, please? It's a non-turbo, FWD model.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 17:11   #20
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default G&k

These buttons are usually aftermarket as Volvo want you to buy the whole assembly and charge you to boot.
It could be either button fitted . You wont know `til you remove it .
These are the Ref. Nos.
8675628 , 9463564 , 9463563 , 8698157 , 83430000 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83431002.jpg (26.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 83430000.jpg (32.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg pinless.jpg (7.7 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post: