Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.8 petrol engine, owner's opinions please!

Views : 46702

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 19:41   #11
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
How wrong and humbled I am. I bow to your superior knowledge, but were all the pictures really necessary?
They were basically just to show the difference: Duratec-Zetec
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 14:24   #12
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachio View Post
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Re-assuring to hear 2 owners very happy with the engine. A bit less so all the issues suffered by mjcourtney with the car in general. We'd probably go for a 2007/8 model, so perhaps some of the issues were sorted by then?
Mine was one of the first in the country, Sep 2004, and was one of the first of the 2004.5 (or 2005) models. I think build faults and design problems are to be expected on most early run production cars. It's probably not best to base the overall reliability of these cars on my input for this reason (although the list of failed bits is impressively long...) The new engine is from the 2007 Focus 1.8, and has been no problem at all for the past 30k miles and 4 years.

I've learnt my lesson, won't be buying any car that was made in the first 12 months of a new model release!
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 15:43   #13
eustachio

Sorry to hear about your woes with the car, mind you our current car, a Honda, was a new model, first sold 6 months into the model's life, and it has been trouble free. Perhaps the Volvo/Ford partnership had teething issues?
eustachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 19:37   #14
frankie

I've got a 1.8 petrol, S40.

My previous car was a Rover 420 GSi, which I bought when it was one year old, and kept for eleven years.

I find the 1.8 Volvo a tad slugish, compared to my Rover, and now wish I had gone for the 2 litre. I've only had one problem with the S40 (reduced engine performance) which was easily fixed under gaurantee, while I waited. On the whole, I'm quite pleased with it, although I'm still trying to understand what use the compass in the mirror serves.
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 20:46   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=eustachio;949674]

I was aware it's effectively a Ford Focus dressed in Volvo clothes, but we rented one on holiday last year and really liked the car, in spite of that. My other half fell in love with the comfort level, I liked the looks and handling. Our other possible option would be more of a true Volvo, the V70, but I'm wary of the crippling fuel consumption on the 2.0T.

QUOTE]

No its not a focus , Only the floor and suspension and some engines are focus related , The construction is VOLVO with more robust bodyshell and fittings ... and feels nothing like a focus to drive , more refined ..
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:52   #16
Daim
Brit in Germany

[QUOTE=Clan;951937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachio View Post

I was aware it's effectively a Ford Focus dressed in Volvo clothes, but we rented one on holiday last year and really liked the car, in spite of that. My other half fell in love with the comfort level, I liked the looks and handling. Our other possible option would be more of a true Volvo, the V70, but I'm wary of the crippling fuel consumption on the 2.0T.

QUOTE]

No its not a focus , Only the floor and suspension and some engines are focus related , The construction is VOLVO with more robust bodyshell and fittings ... and feels nothing like a focus to drive , more refined ..
Yep... Just look at the quality or the plastic. A Focus feels inside like a cheap Chinese car... And the rustproblems (yes, rustproblems) within a year on a Focus (MK II, pre Facelift) is dreadful!
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 20:27   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=Daim;952197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

Yep... Just look at the quality or the plastic. A Focus feels inside like a cheap Chinese car... And the rustproblems (yes, rustproblems) within a year on a Focus (MK II, pre Facelift) is dreadful!
when i drive a focus it feels to me like you are driving a cardboard box , feels light , feels bumps and seems to have no Mass . It isnt just the Focus a lot of mass market cars are like this now ..
regarding rust , a LOT of KA's are failing MOT's now from around 2000-2002 , sills rusted through , valences , wings even the roof ! one would assume fords quality is the same throughout the range ... even a Citroen Saxo is galvanised and some old 1995 Peugeots .
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 21:57   #18
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Mines 7 years old and no rust whatsoever, it looks in mint condition.

They use different crash structures and higher grade steel in the S40.

It's a lot better put together than a Focus too.

The good bits in the chassis are common, which keeps running costs down as you can use ford parts.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 21:59   #19
Daim
Brit in Germany

Absolutly... I'm currently on car search for my little brother (is supposed to pass his driving test in the next few weeks) and have looked at a few Fords. The youngest being a 2005 Ford Fusion... That car had more rust, than a 10 year old Lada! Ford has bern dropped - Fiats are now on the list...
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 03:19   #20
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Can't say I've noticed a problem with rust on fords, my old V reg Fiesta is rust free, my dads 53 plat Fusion (horrible car) is rust free and his missus Ka 51 plate ish is rust free.

The Focus drives much better then the S40, I went for the Focus because it feels better built and primarily, the interior looked much better than the Focus of a similar age. The latest Focus is a class above the current S40, which is probably to be expected as the current volvo range is starting to get a little tired, however now Ford have sold off their premium brands, their own cars are showing a much higher quality and thus Volvo need to raise the game.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote