Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater blowing cold

Views : 19183

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 23:10   #1
davos

Default Heater blowing cold

Hi, the interior blower / heater in my XC90 D5 (55 plate) is acting up. Just woundered if anyone had, had the same fault or if their had been any previous threads about this issue. The problem is when using the heater from cold, it takes for ever to blow constantly hot, probably around 25 - 30 minutes after starting. The fan speed varies slightly and blows fairly warm for maybe 2-3 seconds then cold for a second or two, hence the cabin not warming through quickly enough.
I`ve had this simular fault in other cars, where the speed and heat has a mind of it`s own, and is usualy just a quick fix, a replacement resistor pack. But on the volvo it`s only a minor speed difference, but a constant hot / cold /hot /cold, then 30 mins later it behaves and blows just fine. This does not usualy happen on other makes, when faulty it`s constantly faulty.
Any ideas / fixes, and has anyone had the same prob.
Thank god for the best heated seats ever, -10+
davos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 08:50   #2
wolfie308

Try here....may be same issue

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108816
wolfie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 10:29   #3
davos

Cheers for that, hope it`s just something as easy as this, as anything involving me and the volvo usualy ends up costing and a lenghty repair.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 10:15   #4
davos

NO still have a heater with a mind of it`s own, very cold and no real heating in a 12K car, wish it was summer. Tried cleaning the little fan at the back of the heater controls, not realy that badly soiled and has made no difference.
So rang the dealer for so free advice, they told me to try the following:-
Run heater on cold for 10 minutes then gradually build up the temp setting and this would reset the heater computers????? over complicated electrics spring to mind, wot`s wrong with a good oldfasioned cable to open a flap!!

PLEASE HELP
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 19:49   #5
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davos View Post
NO still have a heater with a mind of it`s own, very cold and no real heating in a 12K car, wish it was summer. Tried cleaning the little fan at the back of the heater controls, not realy that badly soiled and has made no difference.
So rang the dealer for so free advice, they told me to try the following:-
Run heater on cold for 10 minutes then gradually build up the temp setting and this would reset the heater computers????? over complicated electrics spring to mind, wot`s wrong with a good oldfasioned cable to open a flap!!

PLEASE HELP

Not sure if this will help but i used too have an S80 (my 2000) that had a heater fault.the heater would blow hot for a couple of seconds and then cold and than back too hot and so on.Took the car back too volvo under warranty and it required a computer update on the heating system !!!.

peter.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 13:22   #6
davos

Yes sounds like i will have to go back to Harratts, for them to sink the heating system back in!!!, the usual £85 + VAT for the diagnosis. More top notch free coffee for an hour or two, while they plug in their lap top.
Took the side panels off the lower center console, the carpeted bits and could see the half dozen or so motors controling the heater flaps. They were just revolving in a circle from hot to cold settings, without me actually touching the controls!!!! so hot then cold and so on. So for the time been to stop the wife`s bottom lip shaking i have unplugged the motors on hot setting, and all is well Forgot just how good the heater was, will have to replug for the summer. Unless anyone out their has a better fix???
Cheers Davos, Happy new year.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 14:45   #7
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I assume you have cleaned the temp sensor as in the other thread?

The heater seems to be linked to the outside temperature sensor in the driver side mirror. Is the outside temperature reading correct? This could cause issues if not...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 00:44   #8
springbokrugby

Smile Heater blowing cold and cold - P2 Volvo

This is linked to a faulty Air Quality Sensor. Very expensive (and tiny) part which sits in the cold air intake underneath the wiper covers. Change that and your problem will more than likely be sorted.

Time to DIY fix, about 20 minutes (allowing for a lot of fiddling if you've not changed this part before.

Cost of part. Over £300 from Volvo. I was lucky and picked a a new (other) part on eBay. Been bought by someone and never fitted. Cost £120 and took 10 minutes to fix. Problem of hot/cold/hot/cold sorted.
springbokrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 12:20   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

As a cheap no-cost option, you can simply disconnect the Air Quality Sensor

This will of course disable the Air Quality function
But some people prefer working heat and do not car about working air quality system.

And it is a simple and no-cost action for you to try. It will at least clearly identify if the AQS is to blame....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 12:26   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbokrugby View Post
This is linked to a faulty Air Quality Sensor. Very expensive (and tiny) part which sits in the cold air intake underneath the wiper covers. Change that and your problem will more than likely be sorted.

Time to DIY fix, about 20 minutes (allowing for a lot of fiddling if you've not changed this part before.

Cost of part. Over £300 from Volvo. I was lucky and picked a a new (other) part on eBay. Been bought by someone and never fitted. Cost £120 and took 10 minutes to fix. Problem of hot/cold/hot/cold sorted.
I don't think an AQS fault would cause this? The AQS system controls whether fresh air is drawn into the cabin or recirculated air is used - it does not control temperature.

On my 2003 XC90 it's been recording AQS sensor failure for 5 years and the heater works just fine.

I don't fully understand the entire system so I may stand to be corrected but I don't think it's likely to be the OP's issue.

As with most XC90 issues, sensor readings and fault code diagnosis from VIDA is always a good place to start...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote