Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oh 'eck 'Tank' is not at all well.......

Views : 10941

Replies : 150

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 21:36   #21
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Right, I don't even know what a half shaft is...............yet! Tomorrow is gonna see me learning!

andy_d no no egg sucking at all, all advice is welcome. I did drain & refil the diff with Texaco API GL5-SAE90, but erm...... checking my history file that was in July 07 at 175,752 miles! It's now on 195,500 & some & I've not checked it since

So if this 1/2 shaft seal thing is letting by, does that mean the diff has drained?
It won't have drained, but the oil held in the centre banjo can travel right through the axle so it'll have lost some.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 21:56   #22
940_Turbo

I did a how to on replacing the half shaft seal on a 120 which is similar but by no means the same! It'll teach you what a halfshaft is though. The principal difference is that disk brake cars have an inner and outer oil seal. The outer one can't be replaced without removing the bearing, which is the tricky bit!
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 23:12   #23
volvo always
Premier Member

Hi Paul,

Hope you can repair tank or get tank repaired as pain free as possible. Sounds a daunting job with removing the bearing. No doubt I will have these sort of jobs to look forward too with my 1989 240 It's sods law it's always winter! Its been very, very, cold here in the republic of Ireland and the roads are very icy. I have been driving very slowly!

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:18   #24
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Don't discount the possibility that there is a long term small leak of some kind of fluid, only brought to light by the more dramatic fault of the sudden noise.

You really need to identify the fluid, which should be obvious from its smell or consistency, confirmed by tracing its source. Brake fluid leakage can only come from a pipe, union, or caliper piston seal. Those are all external, and on the inboard face of the backing plate.
Axle oil would be leaking from the outward side of the plate, inside the brake drum.

One possibility could simply be a worn out disintegrating brake pad fouling a seized up piston. Or an anti rattle spring or a pin come loose. I once had a pin lose its R-clip and slide outwards, scraping the road wheel. When you get it jacked up and the wheel off you can rotate it by hand and check or eliminate all external possibilities before further dismantling.
Clifford Pope is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:05   #25
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Thanks Clifford, I replaced the pads in Jan 10 & probably around 5k max ago. It also went straight through the Contrôle Technique on 19/10/10, so I'd assume that this is recent-ish.............. you never know though.

Thanks, will be taking a look soon & will take some better pics

Right off to read 940_turbo's how-to
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:35   #26
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Right, we're up on a stand, jack still in situ & spare wheel under!

I've removed the calliper & disc. Calliper looks nice & dry. Black sludge on inner 'drum' part of the disc appears to be oil. Cannot smell any cats pee mind!

The brake fluid was changed in March 10 when I did the rear brake hoses & so is still quite clean & fresh looking, so again this points to the sludge being oil. Even so, as yet I cannot see an obvious point of leak..... More investigation I guess.........

Some pics as it is not cleaned up at all: Clicky Pics:

Last edited by Paul240480; Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:37. Reason: put one pic up twice!
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:15   #27
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Now you have the drum off there does appear to be very little oil, at least as visible in the photos. Is the noise still apparent when you turn the shaft?
You could even try starting up and running it cautiously in gear to see if it still does it.
Clifford Pope is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 13:52   #28
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Okay, I've come to a halt for now, despite my 2 pairs of jeans, 2 jumpers big old fleece & woolly hat I'm still shiveringly cold! Brrr . Not easy to concentrate like that.

I've had a read through an old thread by chesters6 when he did his wheel bearing & I'm quite confident that replacing the bearing is beyond me.

Clifford, it does make a noise, sort of a knocking if I spin the hub, although that sounds more from the drive shaft that spins along with the hub. can't notice any play in the bearing though. As for starting it, not sure if it's wise whilst on the stand, or am I being over-cautious?

So the other option, which has already been suggested to me is to grab a half an axle from a yard & do a straight swap. Using the yard car as a learning excercise before attempting to remove my current suspect one (I still have not identified the exact point of leak). Looks like I need to undo/dis-connect the rear trailing arm, anti-roll bar, reaction rod & maybe the lower shock bolt to remove the off-side part of the axle.

What about where it goes into the diff? Is it just pushed in or is there some sort of bolt that end?
Also I'll need to dis-connect the handbrake cable somehow. Still re-searching that one. If the yard is open I think Friday maybe hunting day!
In the meantime I'll keep searching for more info'
Thanks for all the info & support so far, it's greatly appreciated

James, you are dead right, it's always winter when these things happen! When I had to replace the front strut it was in January 09! Humph!

Last edited by Paul240480; Dec 22nd, 2010 at 13:59.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 14:01   #29
Mike1967
Premier Member

Well done Paul ... sounds like your making progress buddy . There allways Mike on the end of a phone mind if you get stuck , but you know that allready dont u lol lol .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 14:07   #30
andy_d
Premier Member

at the dif end, it is a "just" push it in,
the dif end of the 1/2 shaft has a load of splines on it, so the "just push it in" is a push in ,rotate a little at a time to get the splines to align with the socket, push ,,feel it slip in and seat , there usually 2-3inches long so you can see easily that its not engaged, as its sticking out 2-3inches.

Usually when working on the back end i jack up, axel stand, other side Up , axel stand , side im working on gets the wheel off + under other side gets the wheel left on. ive started the engine fine like that, but Not sitting/being under the car @ the back,,

as your parked butt on frozen / cold ground if you have something like a bit of old carpet/ thickish largeish cardboard, pop that on the ground , anything to try and insulate your seat from the deck is a good move.
Really honestly Dont nab that rug from the hall/kitchen and use that , murphys law states it Will get oil/grease / other on it and the better half will then go into orbit......
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: