Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought a Breaker...

Views : 9956

Replies : 125

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 21:23   #11
KruJoe

Smile For sale until this Sunday...?

Right, let me put this out there.
The car is worth more to me as a breaker, and I think it is as valuable to me as anyone. It is worth £650 to me right now. If anyone wants to come and buy it off me before this Sunday, I will let it go if it means it lives on in the hands of an enthusiast, no messing for £700, including tax until the end of January.
There it is.
But as you know, you could probably find a much smarter, lower mileage one for £700, so after the weekend I'll cash in the tax and start breaking it. Yes, it's sad, but that's the way the market is these days. You've seen the link to the auction, it reached £313rnm. That's the value the market gave it on that day. His reserve was £600. I bought it for less than that, quite a lot less, but it cost me money not to work that day, buy a second hand A-frame, and fuel it home.

I have been on the lookout all year, since February, for an 850 auto saloon with cream filling to buy to break. I needed at least some T+T to avoid taking the pith getting it home. I was prepared to travel half the length of the country to get it, and to pay a fair price for a 15yo luxobarge. I haven't been spoilt for choice, but I have missed out on a few, not by much.

Please don't get me wrong, I really AM a sentimental old fool when it comes to cars. I love them, and I hate to see anything of any use thrown away. Look at my sig: three of those were saved from a certain death, just because it would be criminal not to give them a chance. The BX14 Preview is one of only seven at the last count and has worked hard as a daily and work vehicle every day since March. It's not to most people's tastes, but it is an interesting item of motoring history, and to see it used brings a smile to the faces of those in the know. Others would scrap it for smaller problems than I've had with it since then, but it deserves to live imho, and rewards me well.

The Lada Samara is a 1500GL, also one of just seven not yet scrapped. It bought it locally without T+T, on the brink of being weighed in. The old boy, who had cherished it for many years only let me have it after I promised a save, I paid him less than drive-in bridge price. I will not make money doing it up, but I will because I can, and at least the Autosh*te boys will appreciate it.

The Justy was also bought as a project but it is pear-rotten. It may still happen, but more likely broken to repair another when I find a nice pre-facelift one cheap.

It breaks my heart to hear of perfectly usable motors being driven to the bridge and fragged without a second thought. Such a waste. And all just because the owner can't be bothered with giving it a chance on the 'bay because of timewasters. In my opinion it's immoral not to at least an hour to remove some of the most useful parts so than another may live on.
So, I have spent all spring and summer trying to find a more 'terminal' 850 in the spec I need and have won nothing. I am sorry if I missed any on here, I didn't check the threads often. I didn't expect to end up with one this nice, but I sent off a cheeky email after it didn't sell and I didn't go over budget on it, so here it is. IT WILL NOT DIE IN VAIN. My Thai one will will go from the equivalent of a £200 shed to a pristine example after this winter's efforts. It will be something really special in that country.

And after 24 hours on here, there is clearly plenty of interest in the parts I don't need, and those I will be more than happy to carefully remove, pack up and send off to Volvo enthusiasts who really care about keeping their pride and joy on the road and in good shape. And I'll offer good value, too. The end of this 850's life will only make the remaining ones more special. To me, and most people, it is not special. It is an ageing, middle-of-the-road executive car, worth little more than scrap. It is not a useful old work-horse estate. It is not an economical people mover. It is not a turbo'd hooligan speciality.

If it is special to you (as my BX is to me), and you're interested at £700, the Mot runs out on 2nd August 2012. Tax 31/1/12. It has done only 700 miles since its test this summer. Everything works just fine. It's in my name but V5 isn't back yet, full receipt given. Other bad points: some damage to one door-card and thinning leather on the bolster as can be seen in my pics. A small dent on the bonnet, and another on the wing, but no damage to the patchy 'Pogweasel Pink' paintwork. Would polish up nicely back to bright red if you can be bothered. Some lacquer peeled from the spoiler. That's it. NO rust. Sunday the hammer falls.

If not, Steve, the interface unit has your name on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Doors if they are 601 Classic Red... Where are you based?
I haven't inspected closely, but the doors seem straight and rot-free. Do you need all four? Is the paint code on the VIN tag - it didn't seem obvious..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
I'm in the Yorkshire Dales, by the way.
BD23, southern side.

Please read my waffly post, (it isn't a rant) and try to consider my thoughts on it before anyone has a go at a noob. Thanks. Any more parts enquiries, I'll do my best.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 21:53   #12
Turbodave
VOC Member

Thanks for the reply. The paint code is stamped onto a little chassis plate which is riveted to the nearside inner wing, just to the side of the battery/airbox area.

If they are 601 (Classic Red) then I'd potentially be interested. I'd really only need the drivers side doors and the passenger side front... I could collect but not until the weekend of the 8th when I'll be in Leeds.

However... I'm assuming 850 saloon doors will fit a V70 estate, as of yet nobody seems to be able to confirm nor deny this?

Thanks
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:08   #13
KruJoe

Dave, I took this photo for you earlier:

See what I mean about the code not being obvious? Is it in there somewhere?

Sorry I can't help on the interchangeability thing!

No rush for collection, the car will be here into at least next spring, loads of room, and it gives me time to strip them off. Is it just the bare door you need? I may strip them out partially if I can be bothered. Also I need some minor parts (clips, rubber etc) for Old Grey in Th.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:13   #14
KruJoe

PS, is that the paint code on the right?
"601-21"
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:25   #15
Turbodave
VOC Member

That's the one chap!

Though I'm unsure if the 601-21 is relevant... ie if it's a shade of Classic Red. Unfortunately, my plate is missing (Cat D write off, dodgy past, been through more post office front doors than the UK's OAPs) so I can't confirm if mine is the same... all I know is it's 601 - Classic Red. I'd guess it'll be the same, I can't see there being several shades of the same colour?

As for what I'd need, basically the bare doors as I'd need to fit my door mouldings and handles (colour coded on the V70) and swap the door cards as the V70 is different too but keeping the glass etc in them would be good and would save a **** load of hassle! If anything, I'd happily fit them there and then and donate you my old doors if you wanted to keep the car watertight (two are badly dented, there other has been painted by Stevie Wonder) or wanted to take parts from them though taking them away lock, stock and barrell would be prefered really.

Hopefully some knowledgable chap can clarify some of these points for us?

Regards
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:40   #16
Turbodave
VOC Member

Update to that:

I've been Googling and have established that 850 saloon rear doors are the same as 850 estate rear doors and according to one source, the 850 series and V70 series are the same from the windscreen back. I don't want to count my chickens, but it's looking positive!

If some kind soul has the knowledge to confirm all the above, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:45   #17
KruJoe

Great stuff, your name is provisionally on the OSF, OSR and NSF doors. Fingers crossed for interchangeability. I'm not bothered realistically about re-fitting exchange doors, it will be broken under cover. I'll leave the glass (and winding mech?) in each one to save bother, but strip off door cards, clips and rubbers I need, and outer handles if I can be bothered. My rear doors have keep-fit windows. Yours electric?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:50   #18
KruJoe

It would be nice to hear from someone with practical knowledge first hand, I have come a cropper before... hear this fact fans: Pug 405 door hinges were moved half way through the production run, the inner and outer panels are the same but the blighters won't fit!
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 22:54   #19
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
Great stuff, your name is provisionally on the OSF, OSR and NSF doors. Fingers crossed for interchangeability. I'm not bothered realistically about re-fitting exchange doors, it will be broken under cover. I'll leave the glass (and winding mech?) in each one to save bother, but strip off door cards, clips and rubbers I need, and outer handles if I can be bothered. My rear doors have keep-fit windows. Yours electric?
Sounds great and yes, the windows and mechanisms would be handy to leave intact as they're a bit of a ballache to replace I think. Mine does have electric windows in the rear, but one doesn't work and the other was subjected to Ribena so the switch is iffy. Truth be told, windy windows would be no great loss but I could swap the internals from mine at my leisure if need be.

I shall pop you a PM once my postcount clears 30 (I'm not allowed to until it does) and we can discuss the finer details... assuming that the panels are interchangable that is, however I'll just think positive thoughts and hope for the best!

Much appreciated

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 23:13   #20
KruJoe

Me too, I'm a noob with about 10 posts.

Anyone know the going rate for doors theses days? I'll have a look on't 'bay.
I don't mind giving you 4 for the price of 3, with glass and mechs, then you can easily convert 'doors to manual'.
Thanks again.