Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360GLE Reluctant to part with

Views : 8074

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 20:01   #21
isbjorn

Smile

Roderick Plinge,

My feelings exactly - which is why I am sad to see it go, but it has to go if I am to move on. On the other hand, if no-one wants it, maybe I will just have to compromise, delay my campervan, and keep it going - the new exhaust should get me another 3-4 years life out of it.
isbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 00:20   #22
morgsterite

Default volvo

is is still available
morgsterite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 13:51   #23
isbjorn

Smile Removal from Sale

Thank you for everyone's interest, but my Dad's 360 GLE saloon has not yet been sold. My indecision has got the better of me - with the new additional test elements being added to the MoT this April I have decided to keep the car for now - it's so simple and reliable that many of the new test do not apply and so I may as well run (or SORN) it until some other new legislation forces it off the road permanently (e.g. based on carbon footprint or the like).

To the gentleman who left two messages on my answerphone:- sorry that I did not get back to you - I've been away for a while, a later call overwrote your number in the "1471" service and, as you didn't actually leave your number in your message, I was unable to return your call. Anyhow, as you can see, it is no longer for sale, but it may come back on the market again in the future.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 18:50   #24
isbjorn

Unhappy Passed Away. Leftovers Available

My 360GLE saloon is sadly no more. Someone forgot to apply their handbrake and, after leaving their vehicle, it rolled away downhill and smashed into the front of my parked, unattended, 360. Front bumper was irreparably buckled and offside headlamp glass was shattered, otherwise quite driveable, but attending police officer advised against due to "sharp projections". Insurer's decided it was "beyond economical repair" and have written it off. Insurers, in conjunction with DVLA intransigence, made it virtually impossible to "buy the car back" so, a very sad end to a classic that was in such great condition.

As a result I have some spares left over, if anyone would like them; there is a complete, new, unfitted exhaust from exhaust manifold through to tailpipe (VO108/VO145/VO147), including gasket and hangers; a pair of new, unfitted front brake discs (solid, not ventilated); some drive belts and a couple of driver's side door mirrors with slightly damaged shells (my Dad must have had them renewed at some time). All these parts are in remote West Cumbria, could be shipped (but how do you post a 4-piece exhaust?!).

Last edited by isbjorn; Jan 21st, 2013 at 18:54. Reason: Title & Emoticon Added
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:33   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Is it too late to negotiate? Do you even need to claim? Those are no grounds for a write-off...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 21:02   #26
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Is it too late to negotiate? Do you even need to claim? Those are no grounds for a write-off...

cheers

James
Seconded. Insurers are arseholes. That sounds fixable.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 14:06   #27
isbjorn

Angry Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE)

I am afraid it is too late - I have accepted settlement pay out. The regulations etc which bound car ownership, constrain you so much and make it just too complicated that unless you are an expert then it is too difficult to know where you stand in terms of what your rights/options are. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with how the whole insurance scene works. But what has happened here is, apparently, due to intransigence by DVLA over Continuous Insurance Enforcement - my insurers say that DVLA will allow no period of grace time to "sort things out" - once a vehicle looks like being scrapped the insurers are "obliged to remove it from cover". Once they do that, then the registered keeper is breaking the law by having an uninsured vehicle which is not "off the public highway" i.e. SORN'd. So, unless you can be 100% certain of exactly where your car is after it's been taken away by the recovery people for estimation of repair, you are liable to prosecution and so you're obliged to send in the V5 "scrappage" section to DVLA immediately. To cover themselves, the insurers send out letters with "standardised wording" that is phrased so as to comply with DVLA stipulations and said wording makes it abundantly clear of where the registered keeper stands in relation to the law regarding CIE. Later on I received more correspondence saying to the effect that "due to regulations policing the ownership and insurance of vehicles having suffered accident damage, our policy is not to allow buy-backs etc" - blah blah. I suppose it's all to do with preventing cowboys from welding halves of two vehicles together etc. So, as usual these days, MOST of us innocents have to suffer the penalties consequential to the imposition of kneejerk sledgehammer regulations intended to inhibit the mal-goings-on of a tiny minority. Whether all this truly has any foundation, I have no idea and I have so much on my plate at present that I am not inclined to investigate. It has been well promoted in the media that insurers are using CIE to justify automatically debiting accounts to renew premiums, even if the customer has already taken their insurance business elsewhere. I suspect CIE will have a lot more to answer for as time goes by and the (im)practical consequences emerge. I also believe that it is inappropriate that every vehicle has to be insured - it should be every driver has to be insured - parked/rarely driven cars do not cause accidents - drivers cause accidents - those of us who have cars which we rarely drive are paying through the nose for insurance per mile driven - but that's another bee in my bonnet, for another day. But if anyone out there does know more and wants to champion a cause then by all means, be my guest....
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 00:51   #28
minesa240x3
loyalty

I'm no expert but wherever the vehicle is being kept ie the body shop or recovery place it should be off the public highway or if anything happened they would surely be responsible for it.As they are responsible for it while in the custody they would make sure it was in a secure location or compound.
Apparently you do not have to use your insurance companies"preffered insurer either.Saw that on a tv programme about the rip offs going on.
Just my thoughts on this.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:49   #29
Laney760
VOC Member

Unhappy

In such an accident can you not have vehicle towed home and claim the tow fee from the guilty party's insurance (assuming you can afford the tow home). What a shame

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 00:10   #30
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I fully accept what you say about having too much on your plate, etc, and understand your course of action. What is a grave concern to me is the wider implication of loss of control over what happens to my vehicle, especially in a non-fault case. My mis-trust of the insurance industry ever-deepens!

CIE is a farce. It was launched amid a flurry of publicity hailing it as the end of uninsured cars on the road. Most news outlets incorrectly stated that all cars have to be insured, not that all cars which are taxed have to be insured. In practice, no-one has been able to drive uninsured with impunity for years, thanks to ANPR. All CIE has actually achieved is made it much harder for someone to keep a car for occasional use (swapping insurance from one car to another), and to sell a car (when it is desirable to keep a car taxed) after buying a replacement. It has achieved almost nothing, other than to make the lives of people going about their legitimate business harder!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote