Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Brake Upgrade With 302mm Discs.

Views : 15491

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 11:59   #11
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I wasn't sure how much of an improvement there was in the brakes until I drove my other halfs Mazda MX5 the other day. The brakes on that have always felt far better than those on the Volvo.

I got to the end of the driveway and went to stop and wondered if there was something wrong with the brakes ! It took a while to get used to and just goes to show how much better the Volvo ones are now.

Most of the feeling has improved by fitting the different servo and pedal, with the bigger discs there shouldn't be any chance of making them fade. I wuld think it's could be more of a problem on cars after 95 than earlier ones due to the extra pressure from the servo.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 15:36   #12
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default recon

Well I took the plunge and I am currently getting them on today. My M12 x35mm bolts are the wrong thread so they're useless, fortunately my brother had some with the correct thread that we've cut down.
Also my 6mm spacer washers had a 10mm centre bore when I needed 12 so they've been drilled out.
Then the brake hoses had been cut just above where they join the caliper and when we've tried to remove them the "stalk" has broken off so they're useless now too. Therefore buyer beware! Fortunately there's a place open today where I can get new calipers!
I'm not really complaining though as the complete kit:- calipers, carriers, brake pads and discs was £100. And my brother is fitting them free in exchange for me PAT testing his garage equipment.
His microwave may have failed though.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 19:11   #13
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default back plates

My old discs were heavily scored do to stones getting inbetween the disc and pad. My back plates are rusted to nothing. New ones (standard 940 ones) . I guess will not fit as they curl over the top of the smaller discs? Is there any ones that will fit over the 302 mm discs?
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 19:59   #14
crogthomas
Master Member

If there is anything left of the originals near where they fit around the wheel bearing that might be worth keeping to keep dirt away from the bearing, but otherwise don't bother with backplates is my advice. Many cars don't have them fitted at all.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 20:46   #15
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I left the backplates on mine alone. They are a bit rusty but not bad enough to need changing. If I need to do the wheel bearings I might do them while the hub is off.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 09:48   #16
popuptoaster
Master Member

Running without back plates aids cooling but shortens service life, so you take your choice.

If you drive fast enough to wear out discs and pads at an accelerated rate compared to normal drivers then running without them probably wont make any difference.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:11   #17
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default cover

Having just put on brand new discs and pads I am keen to keep them unscored. The roads I drive down are often very mucky so the chance of something knackering them is quite high.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:19   #18
popuptoaster
Master Member

I tend to leave mine on unless i have serious cooling problems.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:48   #19
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I can't actually remember how close the shields are. I would have checked them when fitting the discs. I might have some pictures to remind myself somewhere.

They will be slightly too small in diameter but I don't think that will make much difference.

I would have thought that the scoring on the disc was more likely to be down to the pad material.

I do enjoy the brakes on my car. It's reasonably fast and the clutch is quite light but you really had to stand on the pedal to make it stop before. Now you get the feeling there is a bit more in reserve all the time.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 19:13   #20
calvintibia001

Sorry for bumping this thread, but probably best to ask from the pro.

So, as the post says P80 302mm brakes are easily fitted in 940s
And Down under here in Australia, DVS makes a killer 320mm Brake Upgrade for P80s
Link: http://www.dvs.net.au/320conv.html

And since people crash their Focus XR5 (I think they are the same as Focus STs ?) often, caliper and disc are not too hard to come by, it might be a cheap upgrade for volvo 940s.

If you can fit XR5 Brakes on P80s and you can fit P80 brakes on 940s. Does that mean you can fit XR5 Brakes on 940s ?

According to the guide, you need to add 4 6mm spacers (off topic question: do you put all 4 spacers between the caliper carrier and the hub ? I mean stacking them ? 2 spacers per bolt ?)
Does that mean if make a 320mm Brake Upgrade Adapter thicker (adding 12mm ? since 2 6mm spacer per side ?) I can fit the 320mm brakes on ?

Thanks, Any help will be appreciated : )
calvintibia001 is offline   Reply With Quote