Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter tyres for 08 2.0D?

Views : 818

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 22:47   #1
Dingle232

Default Winter tyres for 08 2.0D?

I know it's only August but I plan to order some winter tyres for my S40 this week and get them fitted at the end of October. Standard size of 205/50 R17W but I 'think' I can legally get away with an H rating for winter tyres is this correct?

Cheers
Dingle232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 23:12   #2
harveys
Master Member

Ask you insurance company before you fit them as some say it's a mod,also look at your speed /load ratings ,I now my insurance company says they can be used when needed weather wise.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:11   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle232 View Post
I know it's only August but I plan to order some winter tyres for my S40 this week and get them fitted at the end of October. Standard size of 205/50 R17W but I 'think' I can legally get away with an H rating for winter tyres is this correct?

Cheers
the legal element on the road physically is simply that they must be of the same size and type nothing to do with speed and load ratings...which is where the fun happens speed rating...

as said above check with your insurance, however, i would start by checking with volvo for what the minimum or advisable ones are for the 2.0D (i would be interested in knowing myself) factory specs are for winter tyres then fit them, also by going to volvo you are using factory spec ones.

By doing so you are less likely to get stung by your insurance but BEFORE purchasing the tyres check with them first, and because you have checked with volvo you can provide that golden nugget "factory spec winter tyres yadder yadder" that way you are less likely to get stung by them.

I know the ABI had words with the insurers and told them to stop being so stupid about winter tyres being mods there is a list somewhere that tells you what they will allow but i would check with them directly in case their policy has changed as this was from march (and the commitment runs out end of this month).

edit:
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Co...mmittment.aspx

Last edited by Ninja59; Aug 28th, 2012 at 08:15.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:09   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

The 2.0d has a (continental) top speed of between 205 and 210 km/h. This means an H rating is more than enough. If your car went 211 km/h you would need the next step, which is V (240 km/h). But H is enough.

There should be no worry, if you fit the same size tire on a rim which had the same size summer tyres.

If you do order, avoid ANYTHING from China. They have failed so many times. The worst Chinese Winter Tire is about as good as a bald summer tire!

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:11   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
The 2.0d has a (continental) top speed of between 205 and 210 km/h. This means an H rating is more than enough. If your car went 211 km/h you would need the next step, which is V (240 km/h). But H is enough.

There should be no worry, if you fit the same size tire on a rim which had the same size summer tyres.

If you do order, avoid ANYTHING from China. They have failed so many times. The worst Chinese Winter Tire is about as good as a bald summer tire!
i would say go for v in case you have a tailwind

should/could/maybe etc. is not rock solid proof and ringing them just covers your arse

i agree on the ditchfinding chinese though.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 17:29   #6
CJL
Master Member

It would seem that Volvo do list both H and V rated tyres for that model, but check the prices as Vs are not always more than Hs.

Have a look at this

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...-winter-wheels
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 17:57   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

@ Ninja

Can only be in bloomin' old Britain where the insurance won't cover you, if you make your own car safer by using winter tires!

Here they are - luckily - law!

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 22:59   #8
7050man
Master Member

I bought a set of cheap Chinese Durun tyres for my Drive model last year.

Only had them on the car for about two weeks as typically you buy snow tyres and then of course it doesn't snow !

I only had to use them in anger for about two days, but they were fabulous with no slippage at all. The car felt like it was stuck to the road. A bit noisier than standard Michelins but money well spent.

These are H rated and my car normally has 16" V rated tyres.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote