Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue

Views : 36385

Replies : 268

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 18:11   #1
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting issue

Hi guys,
Sice i got my car back after the engine was replaced, at times she seems to take a while turning over before she comes to life. It does not matter if it is hot or cold, weather she has been run for 2 sec or 5 hours. It just seems to take time to fire up. I have replaced the coil, distributor cap, leads, spark plugs and she has had a full service. When she is running, she runs like she is still just out the show room. No low or high revs, no hessitation, no nothing. All it is is the time it can take to start at times. Sometimes 2 turns of the key.

Does anybody have any ideas.

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 19:46   #2
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

I have just has a thought while i have been brousing through the forum. I know the car started fine on the previous engine so that is why i am thinking that the problem is from the new engine its self. As i said before i have replaced the electrical side of things, apart from the cam sensor or possition sensor as i think it might be called. It is still the original sensor that is on the engine, and i kept the one that i had on my last engine, so i might give it a go and swap them about and see if that makes any difference.

What do you guys think?

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:44   #3
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

Does anybody have any other ideas as to what it could be apart from the position sensor. I will change that later on today.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 15:59   #4
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

I have just replaced the position sensor and been out for a good run. Unfortunatley it is just the same, and has the intermittant long cranking time. Does anybody else have any idea at all.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 16:30   #5
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

stuart, have you checked the timing belt has been fitted correctly, if your exhaust cam is a little out this could lead to the fuel being dumped before the spark requiring a long crank to build up enough gas to ignite....
you may also want to consider whether or not the pressure regulator is operating correctly and is not stuck open allowing fuel to return to the tank..
other options could be incorrect plugs or low compression
cheers
jod
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 17:51   #6
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

Hi Jod. Thanks alot for your reply. I have been pulling my hair out. I have also just finished replacing the fuel filter there, as it was something else that was needing done. I know that the correct plugs are in it. I am pritty sure that the timing belt has been done correctly although i will check upon this. Where do i find this pressure regulator that you speak of. As yet, this is not a part that i have worked on, so this will be a first. If you could tell me exactly where it is and how to check it i would greatly appreciate it.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 18:20   #7
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvolvo View Post
Hi Jod. Thanks alot for your reply. I have been pulling my hair out. I have also just finished replacing the fuel filter there, as it was something else that was needing done. I know that the correct plugs are in it. I am pritty sure that the timing belt has been done correctly although i will check upon this. Where do i find this pressure regulator that you speak of. As yet, this is not a part that i have worked on, so this will be a first. If you could tell me exactly where it is and how to check it i would greatly appreciate it.
stu, im not sure im going to be of much help to you as the diy'er but the fuel regulator is positioned under the fuel rail and has a pipe attaching to the throttle tree.....its purpose is to ensure that the pressure differencial of fuel in the fuel rail and the fuel in the inlet manifold remains at a constant value ....ie it will only allow thro it enough fuel to meet the requirements of the engine at any given time........when the pressure in the fuel rail exceeds that of the requirements of the engine (bare in mind the pressure to the regulator is somewhere close to 3bar) the regulator bleeds the excess pressure/fuel back to the fuel tank....
the only way to check its operation is to have it professionally checked, because i am not sure as i sit here of the vaccum specifications.... alternativly twin turbo is breaking his t5 so may have a spare
aftermarket adjustable regulators (fse) are available too
cheers
jod
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 19:51   #8
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

I have a spare regulator sitting in my garage which i kept with the injectors and rail. I will swap over the regulator tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

If anybody else has any ideas please let me know.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 17:28   #9
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

I have just replaced the fuel regulator. I thought that it had fixed the problem, but i think the problem has came back. I have read alot about this fuel pump relay. Could it be that, although i am sure that i hear the pump each time i turn the ignition on though. Any other ideas.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 22:14   #10
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default HELP. At end of my teather Starting Issue

I have now replaced the fuel pump relay, and the problem still exsists. I am at the end of my teather. Any ideas? It seems to start okay when cold now. It seems to take excessive cranking when warm. It is getting fuel, i have replaced the fuel rail, regulator, coil, distributor, rotor, leads, fuel pump realy and camshaft position sensor. Does anybody have any ideas al all. Please Help

Regards
Stuart