Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie looking for V70 advice

Views : 6272

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2016, 17:25   #1
LardFather

Default Newbie looking for V70 advice

Hi, I'm new to Volvos other than my Dad's collection (S60, V40, C70) from a few years ago but all of a sudden they have started to appeal to me especially the 7 seat variants of the V70.

I have a young family, two boys (3.5 and 0.5 years) and would use the car for camping trips and for transporting my mate and me to and from races (triathlons). The appeal of a big boot, comfortable interior, quietness and safety is starting to take over from my usual car requirements. I have an mr2 turbo, subaru impreza wrx ppp wagon and my wife drives a Honda CRV.

I'm keen on a v70 as they seem to have everything I need and seem very affordable, I'm keen to hear peoples opinions on suitability, running costs, what happens after 150k, how usable the back 2 seats are for very infrequent use and servicing/maintainability.

Thanks in advance guys.
LardFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 19:35   #2
Vladislav

You did not mention the budget for the car, so I will tell about my 98 v70. Was bought in 2013 for £820 with 130k on clocks. Previous owner did not look after the car well, so overall maintenance cost me around £50 per month in service and repair, which I find acceptable. Mileage today is just over 170k. What I get in return is a car which never failes, you can load in pretty much everything you can imagine and a little horse on top. I am yet to find a better miles eater, you can whisper at 70mph and the ride is very smooth. High built quality, spacious inside, good materials etc. Bad sides? Sluggish 2 litre petrol engine returns around 28-33mpg. What happens after 150k? Another 150k I guess. So get ready to fall in love with a car.
Vladislav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vladislav For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 09:17   #3
LardFather

Default Forgot to mention budget

Thanks for the reply

I'd guess my budget is between 1 and 1.5k ish, maybe wiggle room for a great buy but at the moment I'm looking at cars like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Esta...EAAOSweWVXc8lx

Its local and seems on the money, ideally looking for the 7 seat variant with a tow bar already fitted (not for towing just a bike carrier). I'm open to suggestions on the engine type (favouring 170bhp and T5 at the moment) and for a car this size with motorways in mind I can't say I'm too concerned with the gearbox type.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 19:28   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

At the risk of upsetting p2 V70 owners, I'd say look out for a decent phase 1 - the 1997 to 2000 model with the more square shape. I had one that got me from 53,000 to 293,000 without any hassle at all. I wish I had never sold it.

Unless you want the performance the 140bhp 10v engine is a very very good engine. Simple, tough, reliable, long-lasting. Mine was an auto, which made it a positive joy to drive.

The earlier car has far less in the way of fancy electronicals, and it was a proper Volvo, not a Ford.

The third row of seats can be added to any V70, so don't worry too much about finding one that already has this. Bear in mind that these seats are only suitable for children, and you lose a lot of boot space when they are in use.

Your £1500 should buy you one and leave some change.

Don't be put off by high miles either. Properly looked after these cars will run to huge mileages.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 09:25   #5
LardFather

Thanks Jack,

I didn't realize the third row of seats could be added, its not a massive issue either way but its nice to know. I'm starting to have concerns about the safety of seats in the boot, I know its a volvo but . . .

To be honest I'd totally discounted the 140 engine but I'll reconsider now.

There's not too many p1s kicking about though, hence the p2 I was looking at as these seem to be plentiful. There's some nice p1 turbos about, not sure about high mileage turbo'd engines though?

Last edited by LardFather; Jul 12th, 2016 at 09:33.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 19:44   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

If the car has been properly looked after - ie regular oil and filter changes with good quality stuff, and if the PCV system has been maintained then there's no reason to shy away from a turbo-engined car. Trouble is that as a performance car ages there's a risk it'll end up at some point in the hands of someone who hankers after performance on the cheap. But if you can find one that has clearly been sensibly cared for then why not?

As for the seven seat option. If you look at something like a Zafira or Scenic then the back row of seats is generally wedged up against the tailgate, so in a rear-end shunt the passengers are vulnerable. In the V70 the 6/7th seat occupants are a fair way back from the tailgate. But they are facing the wrong way - so you can't so easily see them. Also, they have to get into and out of the car via the rear hatch, unlike a conventional MPV where access is via a side door.

Where the MPV wins is that the rearmost seats will take older children and even adults, whereas the V70 third row seats are really only suitable for younger kids.

But don't write off a phase 1 car - find a good one and it will be superb.

Cheers

Jack
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 20:31   #7
LardFather

I'd never thought of the rear seats as being further away from the tailgate than conventional 7 seaters, good call, thanks for mentioning it, it does make sense. Plus they'd only be very occasional use so accessing via the tailgate isn't an issue, well not for me anyway as I'll be driving

I understand the ageing turbo statement, my current car (subaru impreza wrx ppp wagon) was purchases 18 months ago when I needed a bigger car (next child now and need bigger and safer again) with 120k but great service history and very clean, fortunately it seems to have avoid people looking for cheap speed.

I haven't written p1s off, the interior does seem a touch erm 'functional' though and there's a nice looking phase 2 local to me, already mentioned/linked too in the previous post.

I'm going to keep looking though
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 22:28   #8
Vladislav

The quality of materials used in p2 is much worse than those in p1. P2 interiors often suffer from wear and tear, blemishes etc. P1 are more spacious inside and generally more pleasant place to be. I know, matter of personal tastes))
And p1 interiors are much quieter, in general.
Vladislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 09:29   #9
LardFather

OK, I've been looking around at p1s on auto-trader and have focused in on the following;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ode=p&adPos=10

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...code=p&adPos=6

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ode=p&adPos=10

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...code=p&adPos=7

Does anyone have suggestions/advice? I don't mind travelling and all of these cars a miles away from me.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 21:01   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Things to be aware of when considering a p1 V70:

Engine. Should start instantly and idle at 850-900 rpm, smoothly and quietly. Make sure that the EML or Lambda, ABS, TRACS, SRS lights come on at switch off and go off the instant the engine starts. If the service light stays on it's probably just that no-one has bothered to cancel it. It goes off after 2 minutes anyway. Also, watch the LEDs on the aircon control buttons. If they flash on start up there's a possible problem with the ECC. Cars without ECC have aircon which is a much simpler set up.

With engine running, lift the dipstick. There should be no pressure, possibly even a slight vacuum. Pressure = clogged crankcase vent system. Creamy deposits on the dipstick are normal, but avoid a car that has a creamy oil cap or oil in the coolant.

Make sure that all the toys work. They are very sturdy and reliable cars, but accessories can be expensive to fix. Mirrors, windows, lights, audio, cruise control, wipers, heated window and seats, electric seat if fitted, trip computer if fitted, sunroof etc etc.

Have a good feel in front passenger footwell. Wet carpet = goosed heater matrix. Fixable fairly easily.

Peeling door cards are normal. Easy and cheap to replace, impossible to fix. Check that the door-check straps work on all 4 doors, that the tailgate gas springs hold the tailgate up OK, and that all the locks work properly when activated, and that all the courtesy lights go out and come on in appropriate places.

Listen for low-speed clunks from the front. Probably drop links - an easy fix. Grinding noise on full lock will be the lock stops, again an easy fix.

Be suspicious of any oil leak from around where the engine/gearbox meet. Probably a knackered rear main seal. £15 for the seal £600 to fit it.

Listen for whining front wheel bearings. £250 a side. Cannot be checked by usual wheel rocking. Spin a wheel with one hand on the road spring and you will feel any roughness. Also check for CV boot damage.

Be suspicious if handbrake doesn't hold on 5 clicks or less.

Check MOT history and be wary of advised rear suspension arm bush wear. Pricey and sometime difficult to fix.

If an auto, check that the reverse-lights work, and that changes are really smooth. Non-working reverse-lights suggest PNP switch problems. Early boxes have a dipstick so check colour and level of auto fluid.

Check engine top mount for fore-and-aft movement, especially on an older 97 or 98 car. It's fixable.

Check rear exhaust hanger - the only bit of a V70 that rusts!

Headlight reflectors can fade with age.

ABS ECUs can die.

You'd be unlucky to get all these problems on one car. Check the service record, check the MoT history, drive it, like it, buy it!

By the way, 4wd versions have a reputation for busted 4wd! Plenty of posts and advice on here.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jul 13th, 2016 at 21:10.
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice needed, costs, high mileage, new buyer, v70