Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittant Driveline Vibration

Views : 489

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 17:36   #1
cchidzey

Default Intermittant Driveline Vibration

Strange one this, my 06 D5 185 has an intermittant driveline vibration.
Was driving along the motorway at 70 fine, slowed down and when speeding up again it developed quite a severe vibration / judder, as in loose wheel or blow-out vibration. I knocked it into neutral to see if it's engine/transmission and it stayed in line with the driveline speed, rather than the engine speed.
Pulled over, checked everything, all tyres good, nothing obvious out of place underneath, not hot brakes/hubs etc.
Jumped back in, it pulled away and accelerated perfectly upto 70 mph, and was fine for the next 250 miles.

I might be imagining it, but the trip computer seemed to be showing lower MPG than normal up until that point, after I set off again it was back at the usual 36ish I usually get on the motorway.

What could cause an intermittant vibration on the driveline?
cchidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 22:36   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

Check again for binding brakes - feel the wheel temperatures. A binding brake (seized caliper) can produce exactly these symptoms.

Last edited by gmonag; Dec 13th, 2018 at 22:40.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmonag For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 14:50   #3
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchidzey View Post
Strange one this, my 06 D5 185 has an intermittant driveline vibration...

Pulled over, checked everything, all tyres good, nothing obvious out of place underneath, not hot brakes/hubs etc...
Looks like he has already checked for that

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 15:06   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

I did spot that, but I had this issue last year and the wheel/hub was not hot the first couple of times I checked. Then finally after getting home, as I got out of the car I smelled something hot and the rear left wheel was too hot to touch.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 11:45   #5
Whizzer

Perhaps not a severe vibration /judder... but from my experiences over the last few years of XC90 ownership....
The XC90 AWD system I think are very sensitive to slight variations in tyre circumference caused by different makes of tyres, different wear, or even a slow puncture.
This has caused no end of trying to chase down what the problem is (including being convinced it was the prop shaft and replacing at quite an expense to no avail)!
New tyres all round ( it needed them) helped.
Next I was thinking along lines of transfer box /angle drive as being the culprit.
I ended up replacing fluids in the transfer box, rear diff and Haldex which certainly improved matters @ 150k miles.

As Greg has stated check for brakes - I have also had a rear calliper siezed - very hot / smell etc.. and a noticeable drop in average fuel consumption - although I did not notice any vibration etc.. at that time.

Nb., I have a spare prop shaft!

Simon
Whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whizzer For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 20:01   #6
cchidzey

Just an update on this gents, I had to let it get worse before it became apparent.

Offside rear brake caliper, piston not retracting.

As said above, the first few times it happened it didn't really generate any heat in the brakes, but as it got worse it started to.

Wheel off, eagle beaks to try and push the piston back, very very tight (the sliders were fine, it was the piston in the casting that was stuck).
Got it back a few mm, enough to free the disc up, and nipped the flexi with some little long nose vise grips.

Just to get me home (I was 150 miles from home, and knew if I rang recovery it'll have cooled down by the time they got there and find no fault).

New caliper on, new pads, left the disc as it was only a couple of months old and hadn't suffered huge overheating (well it hadn't changed colour) jobs a good'un.

Thanks for the advice.
cchidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchidzey For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 22:13   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Thanks for closing this out and glad the problem/solution was suggested within the thread by gmonag (and dissed by me...)

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:08   #8
giw12

Worth doing the other? When mine went the other followed a few weeks later.......
giw12 is offline   Reply With Quote