Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BCM-0042 Wheel sensor right rear. Mechanical fault

Views : 5881

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2019, 21:23   #21
BestGear
Master Member

Bearing and sensor changed today...and all sorted.

Bearing was a pig as the bolts all rounded and the bearing casting was cut out in pieces.....not a nice job....

D
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 21:29   #22
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Got the same error on my XC90.

On this occasion I simply cannot be bothered to do it myself so it's booked in at my local indie next week.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:53   #23
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post

On this occasion I simply cannot be bothered to do it myself so it's booked in at my local indie next week.

That's a good move! - will be interesting to see how they get on....

You could always remove the rear seats to save yourself the time and cost of getting them to do it....and you can hoover the inevitable detritus from under them.

BTW - I only removed the middle row - no need to disturb the rears at all.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:54   #24
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
That's a good move! - will be interesting to see how they get on....

You could always remove the rear seats to save yourself the time and cost of getting them to do it....and you can hoover the inevitable detritus from under them.

BTW - I only removed the middle row - no need to disturb the rears at all.

Why did you remove the rear seats to change a wheel bearing?

I realise that it is nowhere near as easy as this guy makes it look with nice shiny pieces already in place and no seized bolts.

Out of interest did you use normal multi contact point sockets to try to remove the bolts or the much better hex sockets which give way more grip and torque without rounding the heads off.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:06.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 11:21   #25
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

Hex sockets... then.... you just dont want to know!

I removed the seats as I needed to replace the rear ABS sensor... the bearings at the back frequently cause ABS errors when slightly worn... and the bearing can damage the sensor, so when in there... two in one... save a return trip!
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 13:58   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I use 3/8" hex impact sockets and wobble bars - you can then often remove the bolts without having to un-attached the suspension to hub mountings.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 17:16   #27
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Hi Tannaton,
I have mine booked in to a garage to do the bearing but I'm not phased by doing this myself.

Provided that the driveshaft spline is not seized in the hub ( checked mine and isn't , its as free as a bird ) have you ever experienced any difficulty in getting the hub off once the bolts are out?

A further question, ideally I was going to fit an SKF bearing but ECP only do SKF as fronts , the more expensive rear is listed as SNR.

Any one had any dealings good or bad with this make of bearing?

I'm half tempted to just do it myself seeing as I've done everything else on it so far and the weather is supposed to be decent.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 17th, 2019 at 18:23.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 13:02   #28
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Hi Tannaton,
I have mine booked in to a garage to do the bearing but I'm not phased by doing this myself.

Provided that the driveshaft spline is not seized in the hub ( checked mine and isn't , its as free as a bird ) have you ever experienced any difficulty in getting the hub off once the bolts are out?

A further question, ideally I was going to fit an SKF bearing but ECP only do SKF as fronts , the more expensive rear is listed as SNR.

Any one had any dealings good or bad with this make of bearing?

I'm half tempted to just do it myself seeing as I've done everything else on it so far and the weather is supposed to be decent.

Thanks in advance
I would have a go yourself, it's not too tricky and if you get stuck you should be able to re-assamble and drive the car.

I would suggest be ready to overhaul the parking brake at the same time unless you know that's working okay.

I would experiment with different sockets and wobble bars on each of the 4 nuts, 2 are easy, one is tricky and one is very tricky but I have managed to do a good few of these using a low profile (ish) 3/8" impact (hex) socket and good quality extensions that can carry some torque. I usually spray the exposed threads on the front of the hub with plusgas or similar.

Once you get the bolts out, I've never had a bearing I couldn't get out of the hub but I have had to give a couple of them a good braying with a club hammer. This is where you do need to proceed carefully as the only place to hit it is the hub flange and you will damage it/distort it meaning the brake disc cannot be re-fitted.

I did have one stubborn one which I got off by reattaching the brake disc and the spacesaver spare wheen and then hitting the wheel with a club hammer (with a lenght of 6x2 in between). Much more leverage, came lose straight away.

With regards to bearings, as I've said before avoid cheap ebay especially from shyster seller BAHUHA - I've only ever used Volvo original or SKF from Autodoc. I can't comment on SNR but someone else posted recently they bought a cheaper bearing from ECP and it lasted only a few months. Now I would rather fit a second hand genuine Volvo one that a cheap chinky job.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 18th, 2019 at 13:04.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 17:01   #29
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Thanks Tannaton.

The weather was fine today so I got stuck in.

The bolts were bloody tight but I got them all out ok with a 1/2 inch drive and hex socket.

I managed without removing the suspension bar that is covered in the video and found that by having the car on axle stands I could use the trolley jack to get the driveshaft and lower arm level. This allowed me to get the socket straight on the awkward bottom bolt without having to use a flexi joint or wobble bar.

I checked with ECP and the SNR was the most expensive that they do for the rear and that came in at £109 with discount . Apparently linked to SKR but time will tell. Certainly not a cheap one and I feel a bit safer guarantee wise seeing as they are on my doorstep.

I would say that I was done in under an hour allowing for a cup of tea and fortunately the ABS sensor was undamaged .

Cleared the error messages off and all seems well after a good test drive.

I wasn't worried about doing it I had just got into the mind set of " I can't be bothered". This morning I felt differently so decided ton do it myself.

I had done all the rear brakes when I bought it so knew that the disc, caliper etc would come off ok. I had already put new Volvo shoes in as well as the adjuster kit so that was all fine.

The driveshaft was very free in the splines and pushed back easily and the hub itself came off with a few good whacks from a club hammer.

All in all an easy straightforward job BUT I know that I have been very lucky in so far as nothing was seized on mine which made the job so much easier.

Thanks everyone for help and advise and I can enjoy a cool beer tonight knowing that I have saved myself quite a bit of money.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 18th, 2019 at 17:07.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 20:25   #30
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:

I... ....found that by having the car on axle stands I could use the trolley jack to get the driveshaft and lower arm level. This allowed me to get the socket straight on the awkward bottom bolt without having to use a flexi joint or wobble bar.
That's a good idea which I am annoyed I didn't think of :-) !!

Well done, have a beer tonight with the ££££ you saved.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135