Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Repairs during warranty period

Views : 530

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 18:29   #1
exasperated

Default Repairs during warranty period

Warranty question primarily that would apply to all Volvos
I’ve crunched my new XC40. Bumper damage and have had a £400 estimate from a reputable local body shop.
Two questions: will I invalidate my warranty by getting the bumper fixed somewhere other than Volvo or Volvo approved ? I have tried to get hold of the dealer all week but Service haven’t returned my many calls so I’d given up! They will know about this as bodyshop has had to order a new number plate 😳
How difficult is fusion red to colour match - is it a pearl colour?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 23:18   #2
Whippy
Premier Member

Simply tell your insurance company you want it done in a Volvo approved shop.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 08:57   #3
green van man
Premier Member

My insurance company only uses volvo workshops and parts.

If you are trying to keep it quiet then just do it and tell no one. A secret shared is no secret.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 09:41   #4
Austin160
Master Member

Can we take it that at a comparatively 'low' repair cost of £400, that you are paying for this yourself rather than involving your insurers? Many people do, since if you have an excess of say £250, then it will not be cost effective - it will simply 'cost you' .
If you've already notified your insurers then there isn't any point in not claiming since you will be penalised at the next renewel simply because you have been involved in an accident - claim or no claim. Unfortunately this penalty will apply even in no fault accidents, inc. if you full excess is refunded by the third party. Not fair of course, but that is what they do - inflate your premium.
Anyway, back to affect on warranty? Volvo dealers will have 'approved' repairers , but seldom in my experience wil they actually have their own on-site body shops - they farm the work out to trusted repairers in their area.
If the car is on a PCP then there might be a need to be more cautious since any substandard repairs can result in some monetary penalty on hand back.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:09   #5
exasperated

The insurers are cool with wherever I want to go. I just know the bodyshop I’ve chosen but it’s not Volvo approved which is what I’m wondering could be a problem with the warranty on the car as it’s only 8 months old
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:50   #6
Austin160
Master Member

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the loss of my no claims bonus and subsequent hikes in premiums over the coming years, for the sake of £400 less your excess, rather than any affect on warranty claims.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 13:15   #7
exasperated

That’s irrelevant as the other guy is claiming on mine too!
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 13:55   #8
jamei305

If insurance are paying why wouldn't you get it done by a Volvo-approved bodyshop? They do a five year warranty on repairs for starters.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:40   #9
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamei305 View Post
If insurance are paying why wouldn't you get it done by a Volvo-approved bodyshop? They do a five year warranty on repairs for starters.
because some manufacturer approved bodyshops are rubbish. 4 years back, my 2 week old car got rear ended when parked and went to a manufacturer approved place - Motofix in Swindon - it came back with runs in the paint, which i rejected, then came back a second time with the automatic boot closing not shutting properly. on 3rd time i accepted it.

my father in laws 6 month old BMW 530d (c.£45k worth) got hit shortly after and he went to a local family run place and it came back first time absolutely perfect. when my other car a 10 yr old S60 got hit by the neighbour a year later, i took it to the same place and it was also perfect.

if my car got hit again, i'd insist on it going to the smaller company. insurers cannot refuse as long as the labour rate is acceptable to them.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote