Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake cable Grommets

Views : 1375

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2019, 10:37   #11
Ian21401
Premier Member

I have to say that the only problem I’ve ever had was when I asked a courier to wait whilst I opened and checked a delivery of two tyres before signing for them. He wasn’t happy but did wait. I believe that most of these drivers are “self employed” and paid by the delivery and only then if the item is left somewhere. Not sure about when they leave a card. We are retired now and usually at home so most of the regular couriers know this and we have become the unofficial default delivery address for many of our neighbours.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 23:49   #12
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

DHL delivered today, instead of their stated re-attempt tomorrow.
Perhaps it had something to do with my angry e-mail in their "contact DHL" box.
Result.
The cable arrived in a HUGE CARDBOARD BOX, no wonder it didn't fit through my letterbox.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 21:13   #13
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Problem :
New right-rear cable fitted, freed up the seized pivoting bits inside the "drum",
fitted cheap temporary new grommets in the two steel braces over the axle, but intend to make much better nylon ones now that I know how to remove the 'left end' of this cable.
Fitted the end into the oblong joint thing with a pin and wire keep.

Brake test shows very little braking from that right side.
Left is still excellent.
Can I adjust in the oblong fitting?
Can I shorten the cable to the right by some mysterious method? Should I even contemplate that?
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 21:24   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There should be some sort of auto-adjuster for the handbrake shoes if memory serves, maybe it's not work or needs a few operations of the handbark to settle it in.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 22:28   #15
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

That is interesting, but there's nothing inside the 'drums' on mine that is adjustable.
I'll go in early next week and fiddle about up on a ramp.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 11:58   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

Presume cable is correct one so would not advise trying to shorten it.
Why not obtain correct grommets ?
As Paul said, fairly sure that there is some self adjusting device within the drum. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a bridging device between the shoes, one end threaded into the opposite end with a ratchet device operated by a lever which moves as the handbrake is applied and lengthens the bridging device by screwing one end out which effectively adjusts the shoes out.

Just looked at my Haynes. Doesn’t mention that bridging device I refer to above so that must have been on a different car in the past. Sorry.
There is what Haynes refers to as “the operating mechanism” which must be replaced the right way up. There’s an arrow and the word “up” stamped into it.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 14th, 2019 at 12:33. Reason: Add the correction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:59   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Presume cable is correct one so would not advise trying to shorten it.
Why not obtain correct grommets ?
As Paul said, fairly sure that there is some self adjusting device within the drum. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a bridging device between the shoes, one end threaded into the opposite end with a ratchet device operated by a lever which moves as the handbrake is applied and lengthens the bridging device by screwing one end out which effectively adjusts the shoes out.

Just looked at my Haynes. Doesn’t mention that bridging device I refer to above so that must have been on a different car in the past. Sorry.
There is what Haynes refers to as “the operating mechanism” which must be replaced the right way up. There’s an arrow and the word “up” stamped into it.
I've also had a look at the HBoF and the operating mechanism doesn't seem to have any form of auto-adjuster so i must also have been thinking of a different car when i mentioned it above.

However, i've been thinking. Didn't you fit one of those "U" bracket compensator mounts on the back axle because the original was worn? I'd suggest moving it closer to the side that does work and then checking the cable adjustment (will probably need tightening) as that will effectively shorten the side with the shorter cable, tightening the adjustment on that side.

What you could do is lift the handbrake until the slack is just taken up on the left (i think the left cable is the long one that goes to the lever) then slacken the bracket and move it towards the left until both left and right cables feel like they have the same tension. You may want to lift the handbrake up or possibly down to improve the feel of the tension while you do this.

Once you get it to the point where they both feel equal in terms of tension, tighten the "U" bracket nuts, re-adjust the handbrake cable to give the correct amount of notches on the ratchet (clicks as you lift, 3-5 clicks after adjustment, 11 clicks max according to HBoF) and re-test.

Hopefully this should see you right on the first try but might need some "fettling".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 20:24   #18
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Mine is all original under there but I like this suggestion ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
...However, i've been thinking. Didn't you fit one of those "U" bracket compensator mounts on the back axle because the original was worn? I'd suggest moving it closer to the side that does work and then checking the cable adjustment (will probably need tightening) as that will effectively shorten the side with the shorter cable, tightening the adjustment on that side.
It is very easy for me to make a special bracket with a pivot to replace the original wobbly A-frame-gizmo, though not as a first resort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 20:48   #19
Ian21401
Premier Member

If yours still has the original thingy, I’ll call it a compensator, then the problem must be elsewhere and something needs fettling.
Was the handbrake more or less equal before the replacement cable?
Does the near side drum lock up whilst the offside is still free?
Don’t be offended, I’ve done it myself in the past, have you got everything back where it should be?
Whilst car is on hoist, is it possible to have someone operate the handbrake whilst you watch what is happening underneath?
Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 18:28   #20
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post

Just looked at my Haynes. Doesn’t mention that bridging device I refer to above so that must have been on a different car in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
That is interesting, but there's nothing inside the 'drums' on mine that is adjustable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've also had a look at the HBoF and the operating mechanism doesn't seem to have any form of auto-adjuster so i must also have been thinking of a different car when i mentioned it above.
None of the 700/900 series (including IRS) have these threaded adjusters on the opposite side of the shoes to the actuating mechanism. If some of you have seen them before then it'll be on 140/164 or 200 series. They were also reintroduced for the 850 but not sure what models after that have them. Why they were left out for the 700/900 is quite beyond me!!
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post: