Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cd changer wiring

Views : 1336

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 19:26   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Cd changer wiring

My V70 is a classic spec model one thing that's always narked me about it is the radio is only a single shot cd player.I've now got the opportunity of a multi changer but that only has a short "tail" of wiring on it before ending at the connectors,I've looked in the boot area where[as I understand it] the multichanger normally lives on these cars but can't find any connectors there that would couple it to the head unit.Is the wiring between head unit and multichanger stand alone wiring or is it incorporated into the rest of the loom?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 19:49   #2
volvo again
Master Member

The multi changer is connected to the radio with a separate cable, not part of the wiring loom.
Normally it's fixed into the area on the left of the cargo area, so you need the mounting bracket as well.
If you're buying a used cd changer, chances are that the cable was left in the donor car, and very hard to obtain now.
Is it a Volvo cd changer or Alpine?
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 08:10   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

Thanks for reply.It's a Volvo changer from a V70 and I believe the seller still has the rest of the car[or what's left of it]that's being broken for parts.Will ask if they have the wiring.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 02:26   #4
rasvolvo

Cd changer on the left in the boot as said, under a pop out covering. Changer cable as well as two wires in a connector attached to the changer. Mine's not working though. Hoping to acquire a working one.
rasvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 06:51   #5
Tweedle12

Mine is powered from the left tail light, so you may need the seller to include the bulb holder and assisted loom, if possible.
Tweedle12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 13:56   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Unfortunately the rest of the wiring isn't available.This begs another question or two.The picture of the Volvo changer shows it to have a white connector with one or two wires and I think[the picture is unclear on this]the thicker cable which would be the multi pin connector?Any ideas what the white connector would be for?The Alpine CHM-S620/S630 changer which I believe may be compatible-is it? does not have the white connector affair just the cable with the multi-pin connector.I don't have access to my V70 at present[step-daughter has borrowed it]but from memory it has an SC805 head unit.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 14:27   #7
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Unfortunately the rest of the wiring isn't available.This begs another question or two.The picture of the Volvo changer shows it to have a white connector with one or two wires and I think[the picture is unclear on this]the thicker cable which would be the multi pin connector?Any ideas what the white connector would be for?The Alpine CHM-S620/S630 changer which I believe may be compatible-is it? does not have the white connector affair just the cable with the multi-pin connector.I don't have access to my V70 at present[step-daughter has borrowed it]but from memory it has an SC805 head unit.
The volvo cd changer has a connector for +12v and earth. From memory +12v is green and earth is black. Plus the Din plug to do everything else.
On my S70 I didn't have factory wiring so got the din cable with the changer and wired power/earth to my electric aerial wiring.
My dads old C70 did have the wiring + din cable from the factory but was quite hidden away and taped to the body. Make sure you have a good look to see if it already has the wiring in the car.
If it hasn't got it then wiring power/earth shouldn't be too much trouble but you will need to make sure you get a din cable with the changer.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 07:46   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

The Alpine units I've seen don't appear to have the +/- wiring or any place to attach some to,they just seem to have the din cable.Does this mean the Alpine won't work in the V70?Is the +/- wiring peculiar to Volvo as all the other cars I've had with multichangers have only ever had the din cable?
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:50   #9
Richard_TD
Master Member

The Alpine cable carries the power from the front. The plugs on the cable are bigger, there's an adapter with the Volvo plug and a power lead that connects to the Alpine cable.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 18:57   #10
Dippydog
Premier Member

Are these adapters readily available? If so where from?
Thanks to all for your replies/patience on this subject.