Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Software updates

Views : 514

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 14:07   #1
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Default Software updates

Hi there was on the phone to Volvo today and they mentioned to me that there are 6 different updates for various modules including the gearbox which interests me. Is it worth doing these thanks a lot.

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 15:06   #2
trumpetdropper

I sure there are many on here who can provide more informed feedback on software updates, but from my experience updates can be very useful.
I have a 15yr old T6 which has had the gearbox update (before my ownership) and the transmission is still working!!!
From what I've read the updates should have been provided FOC, as part of the standard volvo servicing, if it has had any?
So you may not need everything
Also I believe that you might be able to get/buy the software updates via VIDA, if you the right access?
Maybe someone has these already and would be happy to share?
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 15:33   #3
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I’ve never had it serviced at Volvo although when I bought it in 2014 I had a steering angle sensor done there and they did software updates then.

I said this but they said new ones have been issued so not sure what to do thanks for the reply.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 15:47   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You should always have every available update installed.

You do not know the exact improvements offered by the update, but you should, same as with Microsoft, apply every new update when it appears.

As an example:
My car got updated last December
Since then, I have had no more random Cylinder #5 injector signal problems logged.
Which is an indication that they improved the threshold values of the logging to prevent erroneous errors being logged.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 16:54   #5
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for the replies I think I’ll get them done although they are £55 per update or they will all get done if I have it serviced there, which is £230 but still cheaper than paying for each one.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 19:47   #6
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
Thanks for the replies I think I’ll get them done although they are £55 per update or they will all get done if I have it serviced there, which is £230 but still cheaper than paying for each one.
Dont forget you also get 12 months Volvo European breakdown cover as well as the software updates .... plus a wash and vacuum when you get a Volvo dealer to do the service.

The breakdown cover alone is £150 via the RAC, can be useful if you do continental jaunts.

Hope it helps.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 20:06   #7
Billggski

Plus the extra resale value of main dealer service history?
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 06:36   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

And the extra value of a job done well.

Plus if you have any other issues with the car, get them looked at at the same time. Costs you less.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 16:15   #9
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for the replies it was only serviced in December so going to leave it a couple of months then going to get it done at Volvo.

I like the idea of all the updates and hopefully going to fit the gearbox oil cooler like in the other threads if I can find one with the pipes.

Thanks again

Daniel