Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Views : 36809

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 20:44   #21
Osamede

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetoy View Post
You could try a 1.6d next time! thats if you dont mind the drop in peformance.
Well, that's the thing isnt it? Its all very well and good to compare the 1.6D to the 2.0D, but of course its not going to give you the same fuel usage - the 2.0D has 25% more horsepower and almost 50% higher torque.
Osamede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 13:33   #22
spacetoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
Well, that's the thing isnt it? Its all very well and good to compare the 1.6D to the 2.0D, but of course its not going to give you the same fuel usage - the 2.0D has 25% more horsepower and almost 50% higher torque.

Well at the end of day you have to buy whats appropriate to your own needs and desires. If you want performance then your very unlikely to get excellent consumption. I just wanted to share my experience thus far on the forum. In fact I came here before buying the car, so I believe it may help some people make the decision which of the two engines to go for.
spacetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 13:50   #23
SteveTDCi

I've driven the C Max with both 1.6 and 2.0 and I think the better engine is the 1.6, it is smoother and only lacks the last bit of overtaking punch when on a motorway. Having said that I would probably still go for the 2.0. Looking at the fuel tank sizes it seems they are all over the place, the 1.6 and 2.0 have a smaller tank compared to the 2.4 D5
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 22:15   #24
CW_
Mmm Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetoy View Post
You could try a 1.6d next time! thats if you dont mind the drop in peformance.
Unfortunately I do mind, planning on getting it remapped soon to give it an extra kick. Would have got a D5 but dont like the automatic geartronic thingy. Apparently the remap also gives more fuel efficiency on motorway type driving, but unfortunately the opposite on urban.

CW_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 23:07   #25
Skodarulez

Interested to read these comments as I've just got a new V50 1.6 diesel (company car) and the fuel consumption is not as low as expected. Can anyone advise how long it takes for the engine to loosen up and give something like the advertised levels of consumption? I managed to get an average of 51.4mpg today on a 58 mile run, with some stop/start but with a longish stretch of motorway which I grannied along at just under 60mph.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SR

(no prizes for guessing what my previous runabout was!!)
Skodarulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 21:28   #26
CW_
Mmm Beer

Quote:
Interested to read these comments as I've just got a new V50 1.6 diesel (company car) and the fuel consumption is not as low as expected. Can anyone advise how long it takes for the engine to loosen up and give something like the advertised levels of consumption? I managed to get an average of 51.4mpg today on a 58 mile run, with some stop/start but with a longish stretch of motorway which I grannied along at just under 60mph.
probably 2000 to 4000 miles depends how you drive, the more aggressively the quicker it will loosen, but of course it then depends how long you are keeping the car and whether you are worried about long term engine damage, as it's a company car, and probably maintaned, I would'nt worry! drive it hard-ish and it'll loosen soon.

CW_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 23:40   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

I have just driven 450 miles in the last 2 days in a V50 2.0 D , 4 journeys back and forth from the midlands to south wales 50% motorway/dual carriageway and 50% A and B roads with a total of an hour in very slow moving traffic here and there . So i would say this was average use . the result ..54 mpg ... average speed 47 mph the average speed is important in getting good economy . Cruising at 50 mph in 6th gear when all fully warmed up was doing 84 mpg .. its the hills and slopes that kill the fuel consumption , down to mid 20's on the instantaneous read out . oh yes still 150 miles left to zero fuel :-)
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:28   #28
Northview

My experience of the 2.0 D is the same as many others on this topic: it's a disappointment. I don't think the weight of the S40 is justification either: not only is the weight not so much higher than some other cars, but Volvo claim that it should return 48 mpg (combined), and frankly it doesn't come close.

I've said it before, but my previous car - an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport - averaged 50 mpg on my daily commute, day in, day out, no matter how hard I drove it. The S40 2.0 D SE ('06) averages about 41 mpg on the exact same route. It's not down to my driving style; it's not because it's new; it's (apparently) not because of problems with the AGR valve (though goodness knows I'm still having misfire/stall problems after nearly 2 years): it just seems to be an inherently inefficient engine, and Volvo have made unrealistic claims for it's performance.

I've had incessant niggling problems with my S40 ever since I bought it: clunking front seats; stalling; misfire/uneven running; poor fuel consumption - the list goes on. It's my first ever Volvo, and it will be my last.

Today I had to divert from my journey to work, to take the car into my local dealership because the external temperature sensor reckoned it was -40 degrees! Actually it was about 14 or 15. As a result, the climate control had the heat on full blast at any setting other than 'Lo' (when it's on continuous maximum cooling). The dealership can't look at it until next Tuesday, and can't lend me a replacement car.

I'm beginning to think about selling it earlier than planned and getting something reliable.
Northview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 20:09   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=Northview;312775] but Volvo claim that it should return 48 mpg (combined), and frankly it doesn't come close.

well this one does, It healthily exceeds volvo's claim i got 54 mpg and it has settled at that figure now not going up or down .

I've said it before, but my previous car - an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport - averaged 50 mpg on my daily commute, day in, day out, no matter how hard I drove it.

Im my experience with any diesel you start driving it hard and you are on par with the equivalent petrol powered engine re fuel consumption . Once the foot goes down it consumes a lot more fuel for obvious reasons . To put it another way if you DIDN'T drive it hard you should approach the figures i am getting. Why do you have a diesel in preference to a petrol anyway is it the economy ? If so you do need to drive it with economy in mind . How often do you exceed 2000 rpm ?

The S40 2.0 D SE ('06) averages about 41 mpg on the exact same route.

thats with quite a bit of hard accellerating i would guess

Today I had to divert from my journey to work, to take the car into my local dealership because the external temperature sensor reckoned it was -40 degrees! Actually it was about 14 or 15. As a result, the climate control had the heat on full blast at any setting other than 'Lo' (when it's on continuous maximum cooling). The dealership can't look at it until next Tuesday, and can't lend me a replacement car.

I think you will find there is a connector problem in the left door connector, they will know about this .

QUOTE]
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 22:25   #30
pd1146
V40 Owner

Default Poor fuel consumption

I`ve got a 99 plate V40 1.6 petrol and I`m getting 31 mpg back and from work and knocking about town. Is this about right. (I drive steady with the world on my rear bumper.)
pd1146 is offline   Reply With Quote