Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power System Service Urgent!!

Views : 33924

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 13:16   #21
Victor Meldrew

Thanks for the heads up. Our 05 S40 1.8S has just started displaying the power system service message, the battery symbol appears on the dash and the red triangle of doom is there too. The whine is present and (bonus fault) it stalls at idle a bit.

Other than that, it's fine. So a new alternator it is so.

This was just after I refitted the sterring colum cowel back into place (down by the pedals). Wife reckoned this caused the whine. I think it's bogus and coincidental, unlike the fact that the car was just serviced by an independent garage this week.

If the bearings are the weak ppoint, would a tight serpentine belt do it in if it was on the verge of failing?

I'm pouring my cheque book a strong brandy in anticipation of the damage....
Victor Meldrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 18:02   #22
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Just had the alternator done on 1.8 S40, not much change from £400 i'm afraid.
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:20   #23
sportpack

Check for alternative vehicles using the same alternator, my 2.0DSE gave me the same problems at christmas and Volvo quoted nearly £550!

Got an alternator myself, bit of work on the net showed a cross over with the Ford Focus C-Max TDCI, £120 exchange, fitted by local guy in half an hour for £20. Job done.

Then 2 weeks ago the battery went!! Not really a shock after powwering the car all by itself through the alternator failure.
sportpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 20:20   #24
Mitch_s_s

Sorry to revive and old thread

but my 05 S40 has just had the same problem,

was in for a service today, is it a coincidence that this has happened almost immediately after it being in?
Mitch_s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 18:11   #25
volvomike89

I had the same problem with mine at the start of the year, 54 plate with just over 20,000 miles on. Driving home from work it started whining and i got that error message, later that night driving home from a friends house about 5/6 miles away the car just gave up, power steering went literally just about got home as it cut out as i got on my drive and wouldn't lock using the buttons on the key. Replaced all under warranty by my local Volvo dealership since I have only had the car since the end of November 09

Full Leather, Dual Climate Control, Winter Pack - Headlight Washers, Heated Seats, Electric Sunroof, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, 6 CD Changer, High Performance Sound System, Auto Wipers, DRL deactivated
volvomike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 19:20   #26
aidanjc

Default S40 alternator prob too.,.

Stuck next to the m4 on the way home from Ireland on a family holiday. Bit of a disappointing end to it but at least almost home rather than a little country road on Ireland - I had the whine and same messages and the engine shut down leaving me to free-wheel over to the hard shoulder. Reading this forum seems I will need a new alternator and possibly a new battery. I spent quite a bit having a main dealer service about six weeks ago so frustrating! Rac just arrived - will update I'm due course....
aidanjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 23:41   #27
aidanjc

Default Exchange alternator fitted

I had a local guy do it for £160 for an exchange alternator and £60 fitting. However, after it was fitted there was still a short circuit problem. He went over everything again and all seems OK now. Cost £250. Would recommend him based on my experience. Will give it a few months to see if it keeps working though. Although battery was completely drained he has re-charged it and said it will be OK.
aidanjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 22:44   #28
sdavidwh

My 2007 V50 2.0D had a full service 2 weeks ago, last week I noticed a whining sound coming from the engine on low revs & tonight on my way home from work the Power System Service Urgent warning came on the dash board. I puled over, turned my cars engine off, waited 1 minute then started the car again. The message had gone so I set off, within 5 mins the same warning message appeared on my dash, I was only 2 mins from home so just parked it on my drive way.
I am going to speak to my mechanic in the morning.
I dont like the sound of this though, several hundred pounds after I've just spent £300 on a service

Dave
sdavidwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 15:58   #29
FACECUTTR
FACECUTTR

I wrote on here about having this problem.
Just the power system service light on and no whining.
That was 3-4 months back and its still driving perfect, and about 5k done too.
Im just goin to wait it out.
FACECUTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 16:32   #30
sdavidwh

Well the next day i used my car for a 3 mile journey & it broke down, the alternator almost caught on fire.
i had to call out my breakdown service & they towed me to my garage. £300 later for a replacement alternator so nows all fine.

Dave
sdavidwh is offline   Reply With Quote