Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate/Boot won't open

Views : 40530

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 00:16   #21
Heinrich

From reading the thread it seems that I may need to replace the micro switch?

My tailgate isn't opening since yesterday. My doors unlock/lock as normal and as far as I can see there is nothing stuck between the tailgate. The little plastic flap around the lock is at an angle though and not squared, could that be an issue?

Thanks in advance.
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 09:51   #22
kebab10
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by founder View Post
Ok some followup on this issue. Attempting to force the tailgate open didnt work, it was too solidly closed. I had resigned myself to taking it to the dealer, but after a few days its working again! I guess I went over enough bumps and potholes to shake it free. There wasn't anything stuck in the latch or the socket, so I can only guess that it got closed in such a way that made it stick. I'll spray some teflon on it as a preventative measure.

So if your tailgate gets stuck, but the latch still clicks when you press the release button, try taking your V50 for a bumpy ride
As has been mentioned before, it could have been a little bit of debris that was stopping the switch operating. Your bumpy ride dislodged it but I would suggest that you remove the swtich and clean it just in case.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:52   #23
Heinrich

Hi all,

I ordered a new microswitch, thinking that might solve the issue, but that hasn't worked. I even took it for a very bumpy ride...driving up and over pavements at night!...that didn't work either. I've booked it in for Volvo to take a look at it this coming Wednesday but I really hope it fixes itself before I have to pay out over £100 labour charges per hour.

Any suggestions? I've looked and there is nothing caught in the tailgate and the switch does click when pressed, it can only be some sort of mechanical issue.

Is the tailgate not fused in any way? No one has mentioned fuses.

Many thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 23:38   #24
Heinrich

Well, it came to light that the actual lock mechanism had given up the ghost, the microswitch was fine. £200 later and my tailgate works again.

Expensive but Volvo would have charged me almost double!

Thanks for all the advice.

regards,
Heinrich
The Following User Says Thank You to Heinrich For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 12:06   #25
russells

Hi, I had been reading this thread when my tailgate would not open on my 08 V50, had to happen when we were out with our Newfoundland dog in the back. Just wanted to let you know what mine was to help anybody who has the same problem.
My tailgate would not open but you could hear the double click when the button was pressed. I changed the microswitch button first because it seemed to be a common problem from reading different threads. Although not expensive £14 inc vat from Volvo dealer this was not the problem. Because I could hear the double click when pressing the button this is the sound of the actual mechanism (the tailgate latch) trying to operate. As of course the tailgate would not open then the latch was either jammed or faulty. Getting to the the latch was not a hard job. Carefully pull the trim off the inside of the tailgate (from inside the boot). Remove the latch plug, undo the bolts & the tailgate can then be opened. You can then begin to remove the latch itself. You may need to remove the bottom trim but again this just pulls off. If you need to remove the latch hook then you well need a Torx key. I took my latch apart & the plastic screw inside had snapped. By removing the top part of the latch it can be temporaraly be put back on the car & opened with your finger from inside the boot until a new one is purchased. A new latch cost me £119 inc vat from my Volvo dealer. Fitted & back as good as new.

Hope this helps

Russell.
russells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russells For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2013, 17:40   #26
jascha

Default Volvo S40 2007 model..boot won't open

I had the same issue with my volvo that suddenly the boot refused to open up. I searched online and read that it is possible to open the boot if you lower the back seats and slide into the boot and remove the back panelling attached to the boot lid. What I had to do is find the white connector that has 4 black cables attached to it and to the two thicker cables apply 9v from a battery and this released the mechanism and opened the boot. I did test the microswitch which is hidden under the handle on the boot lid and that was fine. The problem with mine was the cabling and after testing for continuity between both the microswitch , the 4 pole connector attached to the boot and the other end of the cable which is another plastic connector with 6 black leads connected to it (found on the left hand side on the roof of the boot), it resulted that 2 cables were not conducting and had snapped. The point where they snapped was through the rubber pipe that connects the lid to the car on the left had side of the car. I resoldered the cables and all is good now.
jascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:32   #27
kebab10
Premier Member

I fixed mine by removing the switch and giving everything a good clean. Put it back together and all is fine. Just in case of a further occurence, I bought a cheap Torx screwdriver set from "toolstation", and keep that in the glovebox along with a small piece of wire to short out the connector just in case.

Fixed it about a month ago and it has been fine. But you never know.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 20:03   #28
andybsl55

Exclamation

Hi,

Okay, so my boot decided to refuse to open.

Purchased the £14.88 microswitch but this hasn't fixed the issue.

Number plate lights still work but I do not hear any heavy clicks when locking/unlocking the car.

Could someone please advise possible causes & approximate costs, please?

I will go along the parts gateway & DIY route as long as I can to keep me away from my extortionate local dealer.

Any info appreciated.

Andy
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 20:17   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
Hi,

Okay, so my boot decided to refuse to open.

Purchased the £14.88 microswitch but this hasn't fixed the issue.

Number plate lights still work but I do not hear any heavy clicks when locking/unlocking the car.

Could someone please advise possible causes & approximate costs, please?

I will go along the parts gateway & DIY route as long as I can to keep me away from my extortionate local dealer.

Any info appreciated.

Andy
It will be your boot lid loom broken internaly . Not extortionate at around £ 34
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 22:24   #30
andybsl55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It will be your boot lid loom broken internaly . Not extortionate at around £ 34
I'm actually relieved to see this suggested as it's next up the list of cost effective things to try & replace. Could you elaborate where to look for this? Google informs me the wires that lead to the boot via a waterproof tube of some description are a likely culprit.

P.S, I am in agreement that Volvo parts are reasonable - the service, not so much.