Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does a V50 07 2.0D SE have a dpf or is it only Euro 4 models

Views : 49913

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2017, 23:42   #91
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell121 View Post
hi guys sorry to ressurect this post but i have a 2009 v50 2.0d i have the dpf filter but no eolys tank as i have the powershift auto transmission i have recently changed the dpf,pressure pipes.pressure sensor,cleaned egr valve and checked functioning correctly and still have fault codes regarding pressure and soot filter full message and engine system service required on the screen the codes were reset with vida dice and all parameters reset and after a few miles they all came back any ideas what i could be missing??
The soot filter full message comes up first , usually because you are around town for quite a while with no opportunity or conditions suitable to regenerate the Particle filter .
you get around this with prompt action , by going for a drive at 50 mph or so for say 20 minutes , no high revs needed . it gives the filter chance to regenerate and the message goes ..

If you ignore this it will then go into limp mode with engine system service required message , you must then take it promptly to a volvo dealer to manually regenerate the particle filter , it will then recover ....
Ignore that message and your particle filter becomes so full that it will never recover and you will need a new one ...

not sure how far down that chain you got ?

Sometimes if you can't clear the codes a drive is needed to establish fresh data ... if all is ok you can clear them after ...
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:56   #92
Bungo
Premier Member

+ 1 on the above.
Only to add mileage may be an issue. The DPF on these is stated to have a life of 144k
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 11:11   #93
kylemoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_RDesign View Post
Which have the DPF then? Based on the above post, mine is also Euro 4 - 2008 S40 2.0D. I thought it would be DPF when i bought it - would be happy if it wasn't though!!
Hi guys, sorry to bring up an older thread! I was looking at buying a 2008 S40. The 8th character is indeed 4. I'm hoping this means it DOESN'T have a DPF. Could anyone confirm that this is the case? Thanks in advance!
kylemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 16:56   #94
iadom

Definitive answer for my car, a 2009/59 V50 2.0D Powershift.

The DVLA registration document shows it as an E4 and I can confirm it does have a DPF. Mine has done over 92,000 miles now and apart from the odd 'soot filter blocked' warning it has been fine.

A quick dose of the 'Italian tune up', that is to say a quick blast up the motorway always clears it, not seen it for nearly two years now.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 20:08   #95
martins91

What about if the car originally had dpf and it was cut off and unprogrammed. It was euro5. I’m curious because I want to delete egr. And want to know how to do it. On euro3 it’s easy..but which euro category my car is after dpf removal? Hope you understand my question and thanks
martins91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:52   #96
paignton

Just trying to get my head around this as was looking to do an oil change on my 2007 euro 4 c30 d5 and working out whether I need the low ash. Also just curious to see if mine has a dpf or not. VIN starting YV1MK774 so 8th character 4. From summarising what is on this thread I believe I shouldn't have a DPF? Have always assumed it does from what I have read on other forums. Someone mentioned finding the particle filter pressure sensor near the battery would be a way to tell? Anyone got a picture of what I should be looking for?
Thanks
paignton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 13:52   #97
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Dpf

Hi paignton,

Pretty certain you will have a DPF as yours is Euro4 and the swapover from Euro 3 D5 was i think late 2005, my 06 Eur4 D5 (albeit in an S60) certainly has one..

Easiest way is to have a look, looking up from under the car where the exhaust run can be seen (turbo at top yellow arrow), its the next box i think or could be the one after - one is the cat - one the DPF (the one that has connection each side for the pressure sensing is the DPF) think thats what the 2nd pic was about..

Pics are for an S60, but the C30 will have a similar layout ild imagine.

With the oil change, you need to only fill to 3 x's from the top of what would be the old max on the dipstick, incase you're not aware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPF_1.JPG (102.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DPF_2.JPG (85.7 KB, 18 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2019, 14:08   #98
paignton

Thank you Thassos, pictures very useful shall check it out. Was hoping I had been lucky and avoided the dpf, oh well!
Old May 6th, 2019, 14:32   #99
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile soot filter

A lot or negative stuff said about dpf's .. but unless you use the car only for school runs, the system works very well.. i have never had any soot filter full messages after 60,000miles and many years of totally DPF issue free use. Also your not chuffing a big cloud of soot and particulates into the atmosphere when you put your foot down 😀, that reminds me thats another easy way to see if you have a dpf (just look in rear view mirror for the cloud of smoke).

Has yours been near a dealer? or vida, as there was an update to do with the dpf operation, but that was many years ago, but just worth checking yours has had this done, goes with the not filling to top of dipstick info.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 19:12   #100
paignton

The problem is I do about a 15 mile trip to and from work on a mixture of town and country roads - takes about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic, considering the DPF is already a 100,000 miles old. I've owned the C30 for about 2 months and had to get the ERG value replaced in the first week due to carbon build up (not due to me obviously) - costing me about £750 - so maybe I am now slightly hyper aware of the costs and hence worrying about dpf issues. I do agree that they probably are a necessary evil because of the damage they do to the environment and other humans! But I am considering how long I keep the car as another 1K bill in the next few years would not be welcome!