Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598828

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:19   #1911
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
Someone mentioned that Volvo UK have put an arbitrary car age limit of 4 years after which they will not pay for the repair. I’m sure a helpful dealer will smooth things through but ultimately it is Volvo UK who will give the ok for the work to be carried out FOC. My car is 4 years old in March and will have around 130k on the clock by then...
The expiry date is constantly under revision and has recently been extended 6 months . Mileage is not considered . and it is the DEALER who decides whether the car complies depending on the details in the bulletin in the cars factory log files . It's pretty black and white no grey areas .. Yes or No ...
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 12:39   #1912
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Is it really the case that anyone unfortunate enough to need this attention to their vehicle EGR components has to hope that their chosen dealer will bother to make out a case to Volvo UK for a contribution? Because that's how it sounds...
Zebster, that is exactly what it seems like. And unfortunately my local dealer (40 miles away) does not seem to be willing to put the time and effort in to make a case to Volvo UK for a contribution.

The initial rebuttal was that the car was not serviced and had too many miles on the clock. However, the most recent communication from Volvo UK seems only to make reference to the service history. Volvo UK have referred it back to the dealer and I have to wait and hear from them.

It seems that if my understanding of Clan's advice is correct that as long as the car has been serviced according to the Volvo Schedule then the dealer should make a claim on my behalf.

On this basis it seems that all of the aggro could have been avoided had the service department asked to see the service book of my car, rather than simply saying that it wasn't their problem.

I am pretty certain that my car will not be getting serviced by my nearest dealer again if that is their attitude.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 13:29   #1913
Zebster
Upstanding Member

You'd think that the dealer would actually pull out all the stops to encourage Volvo UK to fund the work. Otherwise they might not get the lucrative repair job, as you could instead...
Go to another dealer, who may get a positive response from Volvo UK.
Have the work done by an indy garage.
DIY it (soak it in caustic soda to dissolve the carbon?).
Have the car remapped, as this usually blanks the EGR flow anyway.
Set fire to it and claim off the insurance!
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 15:03   #1914
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
You'd think that the dealer would actually pull out all the stops to encourage Volvo UK to fund the work. Otherwise they might not get the lucrative repair job, as you could instead...
Go to another dealer, who may get a positive response from Volvo UK.
Have the work done by an indy garage.
DIY it (soak it in caustic soda to dissolve the carbon?).
Have the car remapped, as this usually blanks the EGR flow anyway.
Set fire to it and claim off the insurance!
All of those are viable options.

I feel that Volvo UK have been nothing but helpful in their dealings with me, it is simply the apathetic dealership that has caused all of the issues. If the dealer had asked one simple question they would have found out the required information and advised me accordingly but they did not.

I hope now that the dealer has been told to investigate further that a positive resolution will come from this.

I will be giving the dealer a wide berth in terms of future servicing etc. That will unfortunately mean that I have something resembling a 160+ mile round trip to get to another dealer. But if it saves me the hassle of dealing with my local dealer it can only be a good thing
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 15:31   #1915
mbrain

I echo your thoughts on Volvo UK vs the Dealer Network.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 17:55   #1916
liversausage

Would deactivating the EGR valve with a remap be a suitable fix? Would this have any adverse effect on the engine or emissions etc? Would this be noticed on an MOT (& would it be a a fail) or during a service by Volvo?
liversausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:55   #1917
ChrisFromFrance

Hi

May be just disconnect the plug near the EGR valve...

Does your engine burn engine oil ?

Is there a Facebook Page where we can describe our reliability problem of our Volvo with D4 181HP Diesel engine 2014 & 2015 ?
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:57   #1918
wj12

I just had my car remapped and the egr deleted. It’s much smoother to drive but once again I have a check engine light with the P04d9 code again. Anyone any idea what it could be ?
wj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 19:42   #1919
Craig S

Well, the saga continues.... now a fortnight after having the EGR cooler replaced.... I'm getting a low coolant warning....

what's the chances that when I get daylight to look under the bonnet I find that one if the hoses to the EGR or cooler has not been correctly fitted?

Just a hunch that is the case....because it has never used any coolant before but now it is mysteriously losing coolant after a repair......
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 20:26   #1920
iain cooper

when I collected mine after the EGR fix the service desk person told me to keep my eye on the coolant level and top up if required.

within about 3 weeks it had dropped to just below minimum and I had to purchase some Volvo coolant and replenish.

seems to have settled now.

Iain