Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Daft mot advisory

Views : 3202

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 06:41   #31
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
We have some new MOT rules coming into force soon, reversing lights, fog lights, DRLs, emissions, DPF, Brake discs and changes to the minor/ major categories with a new ruling that a car deemed Dangerous to drive can't be driven away from the garage (but the garage can't physically stop you or refuse to give the keys back) some only affect newer cars whilst cars older than 40 will be exempt from testing.
There were plans to extend the age a car had its first test from 3 to five years but that was scrapped.
Where lights are concerned I have always worked on if it's fitted it must work.
The dpf I understand is about it being removed or interfered with.
The disks I always thought the min thickness and scoring / corroded were a fail anyway as they were indicative of poor brake performance. I know I have had advisories for pitted disks not affecting brake performance in the past.

Does my thinking accord with the new rules please?

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 07:05   #32
dingov70
Master Member

[QUOTE=green van man;2376512]MOT on my landroved had the advisory, underside covered in paint/underseal.

I know it is sound under the underseal, in the past the examiner would of been able to tap with a hammer to establish that fact, they are now only allowed to press with a plastic tool.

Not completely accurate , we assess corrosion as follows

Corrosion assessment Having identified the important load bearing members and ‘prescribed areas’ on a vehicle, the tester should determine whether they are excessively corroded, firstly by visual inspection and then by finger and thumb pressure. If necessary, the Corrosion Assessment Tool should be used to assess the extent of any corrosion by careful scraping or light tapping of the affected areas. It is important that use of the Corrosion Assessment Tool is restricted to ascertaining that the failure criteria are met and not used for heavy scraping or poking of the affected areas. Excessively corroded metal, or metal treated with filler, emits a duller sound than unaffected metal. It is not permissible to apply heavy impact blows or to use a sharp instrument to probe at the structure
( & thats from the manual we abide by )
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 07:15   #33
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

For the uninitiated among us, what is an official Corrosion Assessment Tool, 'dingoV70'? Thanks. J.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 07:17   #34
dingov70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novomobile View Post
My wife s car has a plastic undercover tray under the engine which is fitted as per standard manufacturers standard specification........Advisory was plastic undercover tray fitted.
Again we advise these things because testable items are obscured & should that lead to an accident occuring , we cannot be held liable for failure to find them .
Every MOT tester ensure YOUR vehicles meet a MINIMUM standard , not something many people absorb as relevent . We are legally liable & answerable to DVSA & our recordings of what we find can & are used in courts . Failures on our part can lead to suspension from testing all the way to being permenantly barred from testing , as well as injured or dead people
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 07:21   #35
dingov70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
For the uninitiated among us, what is an official Corrosion Assessment Tool, 'dingoV70'? Thanks. J.

It is an aluminium shaft with a blunted chisel end with a plastic hammer head . One end of the hammer head is slightly rounded & the other flat .

https://www.prosol.co.uk/mot_essenti..._tool_t513.php

This is the only tool you should ever see a tester using , spot a hammer in use & ask them to stop & advise DVSA immediately
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 19:54   #36
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Where lights are concerned I have always worked on if it's fitted it must work.
The dpf I understand is about it being removed or interfered with.
The disks I always thought the min thickness and scoring / corroded were a fail anyway as they were indicative of poor brake performance. I know I have had advisories for pitted disks not affecting brake performance in the past.

Does my thinking accord with the new rules please?

Paul.
I haven't got a copy of the official notice and its not online, maybe @dingov70 may have a copy to hand?
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:05   #37
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

I've just found this DVSA draft version for the new test so it may be subject to change

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 06:42   #38
dingov70
Master Member

Morning Gentlemen & any ladies present

With regards to thickness of discs we are not allowed to measure them , we look for cracks , pitting or scoring & wear , contamination by greas , oil or brake fluid .

A deep wear ridge on a disc would require closer examination , but in honesty i fail more discs for fluctuating during brake test than wear

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....4s03000501.htm is the relevent section of the manual we are presently using .

Busy buying body armour for the backlash we expect when new regs come into force on May 20th
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 17:56   #39
green van man
Premier Member

In all honesty in 40 + years of driving I have never complained about an MOT fail. I have apologised for faults I have missed before presenting the car but the MOT is a minimum standard I would hope my car meets at all times.

If it fails I will ask what is required to remidy, as in adjust or replace.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 21:23   #40
Trugga

One advisory I had was "No rear seats"

I guess this was a get out for not checking the rear seat belts (that were also not fitted - there is a roll cage in the way ;-)

Lawrence

XC60 D5 R-DESIGN LUX NAV AWD 2.4 5dr
1994 Vauxhall Frontera Sport 2.0i Soft Top (Competition)
Trugga is offline   Reply With Quote