Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fog lamp question

Views : 3006

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 19:24   #1
woodman
Master Member

Default Fog lamp question

Hello

Before Mrs Woodman starts using the Amo again for commuting in Feb, I'd like to consider two little mods:
1) swapping the driving lamp at the front for a fog, so there's a pair of fogs at the front (the spot is only useful if you want to hunt rabbits);
2) fitting at least one rear fog lamp.

Any advice on this? eg what are the best lamps, any wiring tips, where should I fit a warning lamp, should I wire so they only work if the headlamps are on, etc?

(I have an industrial strength battery and a 55 amp alternator, so power draw shouldn't be an issue.)

Thanks.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 22:48   #2
loon

apart from the obvious (use relays) there should be a spair wire tucked up
in the boot where the loom enters the boot area on the left hand side that can be used for the fog light, just need to conect it the other end under the dash on the left hand side

also i think that a auto turn off is a good option if you can do it,
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 19:38   #3
222s
Amazoniste

The relevant regs for mounting positions are here. Be careful if mounting them under the rear bumper, as it is very vulnerable (speedbumps, crossing kerbs), however unlike estates, on saloons rear fogs can be mounted above the bumper, without hindering access to the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
there should be a spair wire tucked up in the boot where the loom enters the boot area on the left hand side that can be used for the fog light, just need to conect it the other end under the dash on the left hand side
Is that spare wire on estates too?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 21:20   #4
gdphillips
ba baracus...

classic chrome lamps........got a pair retro look
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 02:26   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Woodman;

Remember, the size of you battery matters little unless you plan to power the lights without engine running...that would be an unsustainable condition...your charging system must as a general rule support your maximum expected loads under normal operating conditions...if it doesn't, the battery will need to contribute, and this means discharging it, which is an undesirable condition...the bottom line in your case: If you have a 55Amp Alt, you have plenty of on-board electrical power, so no worries there!

I have several suggestions regarding installation...

I would never power fog lights by running the additional current through the oe light switch (the additional current would surely shorten its service life), but instead power them by way of a relay* wired for the coil to receive control power (high side) from the dipped lighting circuit, and the chassis connection (low side), from a switch on the dashboard, which would then energize the relay and apply (fused) Ignition Power (from Fuse2 on an Amazon) to the fog lights.

Wired as such, the front fog lights would only be able to be energized when the headlights were on and in the dipped state (typical requirement per regulations in EU countries), and they would go OFF automatically when engaging the hi-beams (also desirable)...they would come back ON automatically when switching back to dipped lights. [This suggestion is incidentally valid for foot-switch or latching relay controlled lights.]

As far as the rear fog light goes, that should be powered by its own relay** which takes its chassis connection (low side) from the same fog lights control switch, and its control and power from the same Fuse2. It would stay ON any time the control switch was in the ON position and irrespective of the automated switching of the fronts.

If this explanation is a bit much to digest and realize into actual wiring, let me know and I can sketch it up into a diagram and post this.

Cheers from Connecticut!

* Relay should be of the type which has coil and high-current contacts separate ( 4 terminal relay, at least), because both high side and low side of coil need to be controlled, and this circuit is separate from the load circuit.

** This relay may be a three terminal type where coil power is routed through to power the load when relay is energized.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 11:46   #6
phholden

.. diagram would be useful Ron please. I was thinking of fitting a rear fog light, something like this:
http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...&pCode=010.452
phholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 11:55   #7
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
where should I fit a warning lamp,
Use a switch that lights up.

Last edited by Michael J; Dec 26th, 2010 at 12:03.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 22:18   #8
woodman
Master Member

A wonderfully comprehensive reply from Ron as usual! Thanks to the rest of you too. I think I'll look into mounting the rear lamp(s) above the bumper, so long as I can find some nice looking ones.

Old Dec 26th, 2010, 22:20   #9
woodman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phholden View Post
.. diagram would be useful Ron please. I was thinking of fitting a rear fog light, something like this:
http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...&pCode=010.452
The Holden stuff looks really good, actually, doesn't it?

Old Dec 26th, 2010, 23:46   #10
loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Is that spare wire on estates too?
not that iv noticed
loon is offline   Reply With Quote