Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non franchise garages list

Views : 277386

Replies : 224

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 19:30   #161
Drivetest

I live in Gateshead and stick to Volmech in Thornaby they will give you a car if you ask in advance.It's a distance but they are on the ball .They will know what may play up in your car and check it based on their experience .Not just service it little things that should be greased are done Battery and Locks.Yet to see a main dealer do it on all my work cars.
Drivetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 19:21   #162
Drivetest

Volmech Thornaby they know there stuff .
Drivetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 20:04   #163
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
I see that Braydons is still listed for London. They are closed down unless you accept their move to Sentinel in Silver Street is as good now! I don't.
Why not, Derek? The parts are supplied by the same Braydon staff, and although now called Trust Car Parts and based upstairs at Sentinel, the service is really no different from the Braydon days. Bear in mind that you probably won't find two better volumes of old Volvo knowledge than Steve and Bob, and they were with Braydon forever.

This morning I bought a new rad. and heard from Steve about the dwindling used parts sources and the decline in experienced old Volvo mechanics - mostly because they're retiring - and while TCP are still in business I reckon we should support them.

Good news is that if you took a 940 for work at Sentinel downstairs they'll charge a lower rate - about £65 + VAT - than for a new Volvo, and they still have the experience to do the job.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 22:24   #164
derek vivian

Default Non franchise garage

I took my V90 to Braydons (at Sentinel) in 1016 whom I had been using for 15 years and requested a long trip service. They did not even check out the air conditioning so I ended up in Italy on a boiling hot day with no A/C. It turns out that the evaporator was leaking.
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 10:41   #165
derek vivian

Default braydons

I suppose you would have noticed the unintentional error where I said 1016.? I meant 2016!!!
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 11:33   #166
derek vivian

Default Braydons etc

Incidentally Eric I see from your post that Steve at Trust Car Parts is concerned at the growing lack of spares for older Volvos. I could suggest he contacts David Lowe, whom I think he knows, because he has a load of spares and needs to pass them on. David's number is 01189402804 and he lives near Reading. Perhaps if you are contacting Steve or Matt you could pass on this info?
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 10:53   #167
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Thanks, Derek. Spoke to Steve this morning. He and David have known of each other on and off for about fifteen years when David had a Volvo limo business west of London, ferrying people to and from from Heathrow. Apparently he lost his premises to re-development and was near retirement, so put the parts in a container on his land.

Steve went down there a few years ago, but nothing came of it as the parts were obscure. I suppose a retailer would prefer fast-moving parts.
He's going to give David a ring and see if anything has changed.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 16:39   #168
derek vivian

Default V90 spares

Thanks for this Eric. It was from David that I bought my V90. I understand he had around 50 V90s/960s some converted to ambulances and hearses! Very useful guy so I hope Steve can help get some of the spares out of the remaining container (David had 2 in his front garden!! but down to one now) Regards, Derek

Last edited by derek vivian; Mar 15th, 2018 at 16:56.
The Following User Says Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 16:06   #169
truckedit

Default reversing

is it ok to fit after market

White Vehicle Car Parking 4 Sensor Buzzer Speaker Aid Reverse to 2014 v40
truckedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 11:47   #170
S60RDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabm View Post
I will shout up for Burton & Wilson in Lincoln. He is on the list but no mention of him.

I recently had the rear suspension bushes and arms changed on my 240 by him and an excellent job was done. He had even coated all the bolt threads in copper slip to avoid seizing. As he told me, it may be him that has to remove it at some point and it will make his job easier.

Done in a reasonable time and cost.

He deals with all ages of Volvo.
He wouldn't deal with my 2012 S60 as it needs a dash disassembly for a new blower motor but he was at least very honest about that. I got the impression he doesn't really deal much with newer Volvos
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote