Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amp light full red on startup?

Views : 5178

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2015, 15:17   #11
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Took the top off the regulator with engine running but I can't say that I knew what I was looking for. All was dry and recent looking with no evidence of overheating or corrosion that I could see. My money's on the brushes...
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 17:21   #12
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bb;

It's OK to remove VReg lid and have a look inside at the magic going on, maybe even watch and marvel at the action at various Revs and Elec Load conditions, but I recommend against attempting any adjustments unless you 1. are electrically qualified, 2. have the necessary test equipment and instrumentation and 3. follow the specific techniques and instructions spelled out in the factory green manual.

Some carbonization of VReg internal working contacts will always be evident, and if excessive may cause contact closure problems...I suppose you might try burnishing these away gently (using a diamond micro-file) without changing contact adjustment (difficult!).

Link to the absolutely best and most detailed/comprehensive explanation of VReg internal function for the Bosch Generator based Charging System I have seen (on-line translator required, if German is a problem for you!): http://www.kfz.josefscholz.de/Gleichstrom-Lima.html I don't believe the author simply copied it from Bosch publications...really good coverage here!

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Oct 1st, 2015 at 17:31.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 23:55   #13
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Okay, so today I did the following... As mentioned earlier, I ordered a set of brushes for the generator from VP as recommended by Ron and removed and replaced existing, which were at least half gone and definitely ready or close to it... Alas it was not to be that easy so I did a couple more of Ron's tests, first of which was measuring output of generator and regulator together together and came up with 2.1-2.4 volts, so,far so good. Next I did the regulator bypass and got an output that was in the 18+-19+V neighborhood so unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to putting a new VR in there..

Sound right?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigbunt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 00:22   #14
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Alright, now I really am flummoxed... After the preceding diagnostic work, as I previously mentioned, I ordered a NOS Bosch regulator from a very highly rated eBay seller with the original paint glob on the screw to prove it was not messed around with and installed it. On startup, everything great! I got about a half mile down the road and...red light again! No change with engine revs, just a red light. Remembered that the battery switch connection was a bit wiggly and hoped that when I shut her down in the driveway and started it up again that I'd get nothing but, boom, started right up.

Short of the NOS regulator being bad, am I missing something? Murphy's Law at work?
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 01:29   #15
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

To answer for myself, I guess I'm going to rerun all of Ron's tests again! My son coached me on checking for continuity by using the multimeter.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Seems like the VR being NG after half a mile is pretty dubious but what do I know?!
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 16:45   #16
Derek UK
VOC Member

Check the top dumpy fuse. Failure of that will put your light on. If it looks OK carefully check the tips to see if they are intact. Spinning the fuses a lot can cut off the ends.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 19:00   #17
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Well, it appears or have failed Ron's reciprocity test. Sparks when connecting to VR but no movement at dyno. So that's not good. There's a ghost in the machine cuz I tried the bypass test and wasn't getting voltage whereas the other day I had 18-19 volts. Does any of this make sense? Remember I replaced the VR...
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 20:38   #18
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

I just put new brushes in... Possible loose wire inside Dyno?!
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 21:21   #19
dingov70
Master Member

Evening , been reading your postings & trawled my fading memory . From my findings , i agree the brushes required changing , BUt you also need to clean the commutator . I use garryflex blocks & wash off the comm with brake cleaner as it leaves no residue , use the finest grit block gently , it will remove any dark marks & wear ridges on the commutator

http://www.axminster.co.uk/garryflex...cleaning-block

I would also wash out the brush holders & springs as these can become very dirty and stop brushes from pressing on the comm properly and even bounce off when the comm spins at high speed .
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 21:28   #20
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Thank you sir. I'll try that next. Seems like a good explanation. The commutator wasn't shiny but it wasn't really dark either as I remember. And the brushes were way worn!

Tags
amp light, charging system, generator