Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo future?

Views : 1794

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:29   #1
Guy Dickinson

Default Volvo future?

I have a 2003 Volvo V70 D5 bought from new. Its the best car I've ever had by miles (I'm now the ridiculous age of 70!). Really comfortable drive, good power, room etc. I also reckon the V70 of that era is easily one of the best looking cars I've ever seen - despite what the old Top Gear lot might say. You don't hear many people say that - which surprises me (why not?). But the future? I'd like to continue driving these but they say they're going to be all electric in 2 years or am I wrong. Not keen really. My V70 is getting on a bit and I am at a loss what, when the time comes, to replace it with. I suppose diesel is out now (may be banned from city centres and so on). Dilemma. Thoughts?
Guy Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:42   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I have baught my last Volvo. There is no manual option on the v90 which replaces the v70 and I will not drive an auto if I can help it.
It's not just Volvo, Landover, BMW ,Mercedes, all auto only on v70 equivalents since about 2012.

Looks like I shall be looking at Honda, Hyundai Suzuki or subaru to get manual transmition on the next car.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:45   #3
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Dickinson View Post
I have a 2003 Volvo V70 D5 bought from new. Its the best car I've ever had by miles (I'm now the ridiculous age of 70!). Really comfortable drive, good power, room etc. I also reckon the V70 of that era is easily one of the best looking cars I've ever seen - despite what the old Top Gear lot might say. You don't hear many people say that - which surprises me (why not?). But the future? I'd like to continue driving these but they say they're going to be all electric in 2 years or am I wrong. Not keen really. My V70 is getting on a bit and I am at a loss what, when the time comes, to replace it with. I suppose diesel is out now (may be banned from city centres and so on). Dilemma. Thoughts?
I think all-electric in 2 years is way too ambitious.
All HYBRID- possibly.
So why not get a low-miler V90 when the time comes? Getting great reviews.....
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:45   #4
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi,

In all honesty Britain isn't the only country where Volvo sell cars that has very poor electric vehicle infrastructure, I would consider an electric car if I could drive on rural roads from Lands End to John O' Groats or even from Glasgow to Dover but there aren't enough charging points, sure the range on electric cars are far better than they ever used to be they even charge a lot quicker but there would always be the fear of running out of juice especially in the sort of weather we've been getting.

They may decide to rethink and go down the all hybrid route that would at least guarantee them a better survival in the market as I believe the new XC40 uses a 3 cylinder petrol engine developed to work in future hybrid models they plan to release or so the rumors go.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustytoba For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:49   #5
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I have baught my last Volvo. There is no manual option on the v90 which replaces the v70 and I will not drive an auto if I can help it.
It's not just Volvo, Landover, BMW ,Mercedes, all auto only on v70 equivalents since about 2012.

Looks like I shall be looking at Honda, Hyundai Suzuki or subaru to get manual transmition on the next car.

Paul.
I'm also a manual 'dinosaur' and agree it is disappointing to see manufacturers gradually phasing-out manual boxes. When they do still fit them, they are often restricted to the lower-power engines.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:50   #6
Guy Dickinson

I think the electric thing is way too optimistic. As you say - hardly any charging points etc etc. And are they really that environmental? May be in the area round the car but the power stations will be working overtime, probably belching out more CO2 in many cases. Also the transfer of energy from power station to car will lose a lot of it.
Guy Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 20:03   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Volvo haven't said they will be all electric by 2020, they said they will be electric drive which allows them to be hybrid by 2020 and still meet the advertising hype
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:33   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Talking to some of the Volvo people at my local dealer recon Volvo’s announcement of discontinuing Diesel development after 2019 is a bit ambitious but the move to Hybrid seems to be they way they’re going. A hybrid for me is no go unless I move House. I live in a terrace so getting a charging cable to my car is a big problem.

Last edited by The Thong; Feb 28th, 2018 at 21:48.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:38   #9
steadvex
Master Member

Volvo are stopping development of petrol and diesel engines, but...consider how long the 2.4 blocks were developed for, we probably have at least another 10 years with VEA engines before it switches to electric...

Personally as someone with a Volvo plugin hybrid (diesel) and a leaf I can't wait for good long range Volvo's to come out, I can't see me ever buying a car without a plug again, costs ignored anyways
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:55   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Why not buy a P3 V70?