Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Daft mot advisory

Views : 3204

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2018, 15:36   #21
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
Took my diesel in for an MOT, bearing in mind it only does long journeys (Salisbury to Manchester return weekly) and the advisory stated emissions were to low ie to clean..... I thought that was a good thing....
I had that happen a couple of years ago with my Peugeot 407 coupe.
Advisory said no admissions detected. I thought you can't get any cleaner than that.
Like you I only take my car for fairly long runs, although the car has only done a total of 23k in 9 years .
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 15:43   #22
novomobile

My wife s car has a plastic undercover tray under the engine which is fitted as per standard manufacturers standard specification........Advisory was plastic undercover tray fitted.
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 19:04   #23
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

So, weirder and weirder-
My son took his car for an MOT this week, Peugeot 307, and there's a message on the centre binnacle thing every time he starts the car to say there's an airbag fault. When he bought the car you couldn't see the message because someone had taken all of the bulbs out of the binnacle, he replaced the bulbs so he could read all of the other bits that come up on there like the radio station. I said to him that he should just take the bulbs back out before the MOT but he didn't bother and It Passed! Not even an advisory for airbags, the tester said that as the message wasn't on the dashboard it didn't matter. But it did get an advisory for 'slight leak of exhaust gases front' which is pretty standard as the manifold bolts are actually on springs to allow for a bit of movement as it heats and cools.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 19:53   #24
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Not even an advisory for airbags, the tester said that as the message wasn't on the dashboard it didn't matter. s.
It will only fail if the SRS/ airbag malfunction warning light is on.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 09:28   #25
chrisfr

There is a new testing regime coming in france from the 1 st may 2018, with the numbers of test points more or less doubling. This is going to take a lot of older cars off the road. I have three cars and a motorhome which all but one ( as its new ) are going to be tested next month before the new regime comes in, rather than wait till they need it and be exposed to the new rules.
Luckily in france the period between french mots is two years not one as in the uk so that will be that until 2020 for me. New cars dont need a test for four years as opposed to three in the uk.
There are also lots of anomolies. You cannot have tyres of different makes on the same axle. It will pass the french mot, but the gendarmes will nick you. You cannot have less than 3 mm difference in tread between the best and worst tyres on your car. It will pass the test but not the police. You can use a sticker on your uk headlights to pass a french mot, but the gendarmes will nick you for driving around with it.
We also have a system here where you have to display a sticker in the windscreen to show your vehicle does not have more than 200 gms per km of emissions. If you drive into a city like Bordeaux which is near me you will get an instant fine if your car does not have a sticker.
The point is I am convinced that all this stuff is coming in to take older cars off the road. What does make me laugh over here is that a lot of french run their cars on cooking oil made themselves. Heaven knows what their emissions are. It smells of fish and chips when they drive past. I nearly have to stop myself running indoors to get the salt and vinegar!
So there are double standards here to which a blind eye is frequently turned even by the police as they frequently stop people driving around using cooking oil but do nothing about it.
Many brits I know constantly moan about all the above. I try to adopt an approach where i just comply, keep my head down and move on as life is just too short.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 10:18   #26
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree, 'chrisfr', life is too short!

While I can see the logic in some of the requirements - tread depth variation, for example - I am surprised that the regulations differ to such an extent between neighbouring European countries. I thought the whole point of the EU was about harmonising such things!

I once submitted my 745 for an MOT with the rear seat folded down. It just so happened that I had taken some garden refuse to the tip the day before. The advisory on the MOT read 'Rear seat missing at time of test'. I realise that this meant that they could not test the functioning of the rear seat belts, but when I said that I would not have had a problem if they had raised the seat in order to do so, I was told that they were not allowed to do that!

Regards, John.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 15:28   #27
chrisfr

The difference is that the french mot test will pass all of the things i mentioned above, however it is the gendarmes that are the problem. They have their own set of silly rules. This is because there is so little crime where we live that the police have to resort to other things to get their nick quota up. They are on a nick bonus. They have to achieve a certain number of tickets, or arrests per month. You do not travel anywhere on the last two days of the month as the police are out in droves.
Here is a really silly one. When you come to a stop sign, you have to wait for four seconds before you proceed. We have gendarmes standing behind bushes counting how long you wait! Any less than for seconds its a ninety euro fine and two points off your licence( it works the opposite to the uk ,when you got no points left you are banned).
You would not believe the number of people who get caught as the french dont bother counting and are always getting tickets.
The other cute one is the " follow a lorry through the lights which are green but the gendarmes will say they are red routine" That caught me out once. They will not chase the lorry, but will stop you.The second time i had a dash cam and i took it to court and refused to pay on the spot. I got a rolloking by the judge for having a dash cam ( privacy rules) but got off the fine.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 16:04   #28
TheLeeds

Never had this one yet though.

Quote:
I'm sorry sir. Your car's failed the MOT. Because it's shit
Read it in a Gene Hunt voice)
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 20:04   #29
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Wise choice, I once made the mistake of using Linx "Dark Temptation" & was inundated by attention from the opposite sex
MMnn..........I'll put the obligatory Inspector Clouseau mac on and nip into Boots and get some of that once it gets dark................
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 20:40   #30
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

We have some new MOT rules coming into force soon, reversing lights, fog lights, DRLs, emissions, DPF, Brake discs and changes to the minor/ major categories with a new ruling that a car deemed Dangerous to drive can't be driven away from the garage (but the garage can't physically stop you or refuse to give the keys back) some only affect newer cars whilst cars older than 40 will be exempt from testing.
There were plans to extend the age a car had its first test from 3 to five years but that was scrapped.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote