Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cannot start my Volvo 940 2.3 Estate

Views : 2928

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2018, 15:10   #1
David1956a

Default Cannot start my Volvo 940 2.3 Estate

Hello everyone. First time poster here. I have a problem with my Volvo and I'm hoping someone out there can offer some help. I've owned the car since 2006, on a 'N' reg and up to present, it has been incredibly reliable - but about 3 weeks ago, I started the car, it fired no problem, first time but I did notice a ticking noise from the engine. I thought 'I'll have to get the garage to look at that'. Off I went, all was well 'til I reached the first set of traffic lights. The car stalled. Never had that before - it's an automatic. I turned the engine over to restart it and I heard a high pitched whine rather than the expected turn-over noise. I thought the timing belt had snapped. As I was still in the village where I live, I 'phoned the local garage who services the car, they came straight out to me and they agreed that it did sound like the timing belt, though they didn't try to turn it over. They then towed it back to their workshop.

Now, they find themselves a bit stumped as to what's wrong. They tell me the timing belt is in tact, the timing is spot on, the engine has compression, the plugs are sparking, fuel is being delivered and when they turn the engine over, it sounds like it wants to start, but never does. The fuel pump's working, in fact if anything it's working too well because during their tests they found, the plugs have a tendency to get covered in petrol.

They've tested the fuel pump on a separate power supply and it works but their problem is, they're a general garage not a Volvo dealer.

I did mention to their mechanic that I was going to publish this posting, asking for help, and he's quite happy for me to do so.

The only other thing I should mention is the fuel pump again. About 12 - 18 months ago I noticed that the fuel gauge became very erratic. It could go from full to empty and back to where it should be, all in a matter of minutes. Then one Saturday afternoon, when our local garage was closed, having driven to our village supermarket, when I tried to go home, the car travelled all of 2 feet and then cut out. It turned over but wouldn't fire. On this occasion, I had to use RAC Rescue , they came out, diagnosed fuel pump failure, they recovered the car to the village garage forecourt and within a few days, all was well again, except the erratic fuel gauge still remains

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be wrong, I'd be most grateful to know, as would my mechanic because he said he's at his wits end
David1956a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 15:20   #2
Casheye

Faulty fuel gauges are it would seem, an extremely common fault with these cars. I highly doubt it's related in anyway to your non starting issue

------------

Has the garage connected the starter directly to the battery and tried to jump start the car that way? If they do, and it turns over and starts then you've got a problem between the starter motor and the ignition barrel. From there, there's only a few places to check for broken connections and wires.

Last edited by Casheye; Mar 9th, 2018 at 15:23.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 15:28   #3
David1956a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Has the garage connected the starter directly to the battery and tried to jump start the car that way? If they do, and it turns over and starts then you've got a problem between the starter motor and the ignition barrel. From there, there's only a few places to check for broken connections and wires.
The garage have turned the engine over it sounds like it wants to start but does not make it

It has a spark at each plug they tell me
The Following User Says Thank You to David1956a For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 15:36   #4
Casheye

Ok, have they disconnected the fuel line going to the fuel rail and turned it over to see if anything squirts out?

Alternatively, if you put your head under the car around the rear nearside passenger seat you should hear the fuel pump being primed when your turn the key before trying to start the car.

If you don't see fuel or hear the pump being primed then it sounds like it is almost definitely the fuel pump relay.

To check that you need to remove the ashtray, then pop out the cover in front of the fuses and then for ease of access you need to remove the tray above. Slide the cover for the cigarette lighter to one side and you'll see a screw you need to remove to take the tray out.

The fuel pump relay should look like this...

But it might be a different colour.

By pass the relay and see if the engine starts or if you can at least hear the fuel pump and or fuel be delivered to the fuel rail.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 16:15   #5
David1956a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Ok, have they disconnected the fuel line going to the fuel rail and turned it over to see if anything squirts out?

Alternatively, if you put your head under the car around the rear nearside passenger seat you should hear the fuel pump being primed when your turn the key before trying to start the car.

If you don't see fuel or hear the pump being primed then it sounds like it is almost definitely the fuel pump relay.

To check that you need to remove the ashtray, then pop out the cover in front of the fuses and then for ease of access you need to remove the tray above. Slide the cover for the cigarette lighter to one side and you'll see a screw you need to remove to take the tray out.

The fuel pump relay should look like this...

But it might be a different colour.

By pass the relay and see if the engine starts or if you can at least hear the fuel pump and or fuel be delivered to the fuel rail.
Wow thanks for the reply's

Just talked with the garage they have done that and fuel is getting through if any thing they think too much cos the plugs have petrol on them - the guy called that "wet plugs"
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 17:41   #6
Delta66

I would suggest cleaning the mass airflow sensor as it is part of what regulates the fuel air mix. Any electrical contact cleaner, something that does not leave a residue, will do.

It is a 5 minute job and since you say too much fuel is getting in, that does suggest a problem with the fuel/air mix.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 08:33   #7
David1956a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
I would suggest cleaning the mass airflow sensor as it is part of what regulates the fuel air mix. Any electrical contact cleaner, something that does not leave a residue, will do.

It is a 5 minute job and since you say too much fuel is getting in, that does suggest a problem with the fuel/air mix.
Hi thanks for that idea, I have passed it on to the garage guy - I will let you all know how I get on.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 13:29   #8
Forrest
VOC Member

Do you get any response from the rev counter when you try to start the car? Another common failure point is the rpm sensor on top of the bell housing. This sensor is almost impossible to see through the rats nest of wires and pipes at the back of the engine. It is held in by one bolt which you must under no circumstances drop into the hole from which you remove the sensor.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 17:25   #9
David1956a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Do you get any response from the rev counter when you try to start the car? Another common failure point is the rpm sensor on top of the bell housing. This sensor is almost impossible to see through the rats nest of wires and pipes at the back of the engine. It is held in by one bolt which you must under no circumstances drop into the hole from which you remove the sensor.
Hi

Thanks for that idea I have passed that on to the garage guy

I must say I really love the 940 so much so if it cannot be put right I will be buying another

On that point what models came after the 940 that were as well built I ask cos I have read that later volvos are not so good build quality and long life

Last edited by David1956a; Mar 10th, 2018 at 17:59.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 06:47   #10
aardvarkash10
Master Member

you need a new garage guy.

This is a VERY simple engine. If it is getting fuel (yes) and has a spark (apparently) and has compression (any competent mechanic would have checked) it WILL start.

He is missing something obvious or is misled about what he is observing.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post: