Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Throttle body gasket thickness?

Views : 1061

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2018, 22:42   #1
Vakito

Default Throttle body gasket thickness?

Hi all, I'm wanting to clean my throttle body on my K-Jet '88 240. Only problem is none of my local parts shops or dealers stock them and they cost a fortune off the internet in the UK. I'm planning on making one myself but I need to know the thickness of the gasket used if anybody knows.

Thanks
Vakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 08:16   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've always assumed that as a general principle gasket thickness is immaterial except in special applications (eg cylinder head), or if the spacing of some other attached component would be affected (eg V8 inlet manifold).

I've no experience of your particular engine, but I can't imagine that the spacing of throttle body to manifold is critical for any normal gasket thickness.

A cornflake packet should be fine
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 20:50   #3
DOUGIE68

How much is a fortune? I wouldn't be too concerned about thickness within reason but I would be concerned about material used,time to source it and time to create it allowing for takes two and three. As a reactive maintenance engineer with often no immediate access to spare parts to get a machine running I have made innumerable gaskets and seals. Very sharp razor knife, a 10mm ball bearing and a small ball pein hammer are the best tools. Have fun.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 19:42   #4
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Reviving an old thread here...

I was looking for a throttle body gasket for a B200F, and they are £20 online for a small piece of cardboard.

The obvious thing is to make one - but is it really OK to use a cornflakes packet, or is it advisable to use gasket paper like Flexoid as available on ebay?

And if so - what thickness?

I have a Corn Flakes packet - genuine Kellogs - which is 0.6mm thick according to the vernier calipers.

But searching online for specs of various throttle body gaskets from other brands, the thickness seems to be 1.4mm and greater - more than the genuine OEM Kellogs brand card board.

And - if I do use Kellogs, should I use any sort of grease to help the seal and saturate the card board?

Thanks again,
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 06:23   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Reviving an old thread here...

I was looking for a throttle body gasket for a B200F, and they are £20 online for a small piece of cardboard.

The obvious thing is to make one - but is it really OK to use a cornflakes packet, or is it advisable to use gasket paper like Flexoid as available on ebay?

And if so - what thickness?

I have a Corn Flakes packet - genuine Kellogs - which is 0.6mm thick according to the vernier calipers.

But searching online for specs of various throttle body gaskets from other brands, the thickness seems to be 1.4mm and greater - more than the genuine OEM Kellogs brand card board.

And - if I do use Kellogs, should I use any sort of grease to help the seal and saturate the card board?

Thanks again,
John
Hi John,

I make gaskets for fairly low temperature things (like carburettors and throttle bodies) on bikes and cars quite frequently. I keep a few sheets of Flexoid (between about 1 mm and 0.25mm) in the garage, I think that is much easier than trying to cut round a bit of a cornflakes packet, and it is a really cheap material (less than £1/sheet if I remember correctly - a sheet lasts for years).

You are right that individual gaskets are often a daft price, and on top of that one has to order them, wait for the mail and hope it is the right one. It is far quicker, cheaper and easier to make them oneself, so I'd recommend getting a few sheets of Flexoid (get a few sizes, I should think 1mm would be right for a throttle body) and making the gasket yourself. Keep the rest of the sheet for the next 10 similar gaskets you need :-)

I always locate paper gaskets with a smear of bearing grease (or any other grease that comes to hand), there is no need to saturate it but you can then see it is seated properly when a tiny bead of grease oozes out of the joint.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 12th, 2020 at 07:25. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:50   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Try ebay:~
You can get most gasket material/thickness/size (Oil proof card) at reasonable prices- as previously mentioned make your own and save a lot!
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 13:01   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakito View Post
Hi all, I'm wanting to clean my throttle body on my K-Jet '88 240. Only problem is none of my local parts shops or dealers stock them and they cost a fortune off the internet in the UK. I'm planning on making one myself but I need to know the thickness of the gasket used if anybody knows.

Thanks
just buy one from the dealer a green gasket like this is usually just a few £ . you will probably find you can re use the one that is on there , they are pretty robust . non volvo ones are very poor , Renault use black ones on their engines they buy from volvo and they cause all sorts of problems .