Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speedometer 940

Views : 2080

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2018, 09:38   #11
98945lt

Vacuum hoses are repkaced, also checked with spraying start gas.
Lambda is replaced and coolant level is fine.
Have also replaced iac, amm, tps, LH 2.4 unit with new chip, cts and speed/abs sensor in diff.
98945lt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 98945lt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 09:57   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98945lt View Post
Vacuum hoses are repkaced, also checked with spraying start gas.
Lambda is replaced and coolant level is fine.
Have also replaced iac, amm, tps, LH 2.4 unit with new chip, cts and speed/abs sensor in diff.
When you say "replaced", was that with new or secondhand parts?

Also have you tried cleaning the throttle body? Also the PCV valves/hoses etc?

There are a few other possibles but let's get the basics right so they're eliminated then go onto the more complicated stuff.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 10:17   #13
98945lt

Yes. The repkaced parts is new, original parts, also PCV is replaced with new and hoses checked. First thing I did when this problem occured was cleaning the throttke body. It was almost no dirt in it, but I did it for sure.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 10:50   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If memory serves correctly there are two CTS sensors - one for the instruments (temp gauge) and the other for the engine management/LH2.4 ECU. Can you remember if the sensor you changed was a 1-wire or 2-wire sensor?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 11:32   #15
98945lt

That's correct and I replaced that with two wires, that who is placed longest behind, I think I remember aprox. between syl. 3 and 4. No error codes is stored, but maybe that makes sence because errir codes are tested when tje car is standing still, and the idle is act normal when the car is standing still.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 12:05   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As far as i know the ECU constantly monitors for faults so it can respond to them sooner rather than later.

That aside it sounds like it's something simple that's been overlooked - perhaps lubricate the throttle cable, throttle linkage, kickdown cable (if it's auto) and also check the vacuum hose that feeds the EZK ignition control unit.
On UK models it's under the dashboard on the right, i don't know if it's in the same place on left hand drive cars or whether it is moved to the opposite side.

What i'm thinking is it may be kinked or squashed so as the vacuum builds in it for the ignition advance it stays there causing a high idle speed. If you switch off it gives it a short while for it to dissipate so when you restart it goes back to how it should be.
It may be that the hose has come off the end of the stub it fits onto on the EZK ECU which caused similar problems on one of my 740s, refitted it and problem solved and a much livelier/more economical car as well!

Old Mar 17th, 2018, 12:33   #17
98945lt

Us there a vacuum hose fitted to the EZK ECU?? I didn't know that. Where is that hose coming from? Do you hav a picture etc. who is showing were it'is fitted on EZK?
Thank you!
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 13:01   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The easiest way to find where it comes from is to find the EZK ECU under the dash and firstly make sure the vacuum hose is connected then follow the hose up to the bulkhead, find it the other side in the engine bay and follow it to the inlet manifold.

Whether it is the engine or air filter side of the throttle body i can't be sure but it's usually somewhere near the throttle butterfly.

As for photos, it's about 5 years since my last 740 and if i had any photos they would have been lost because of photobucket. I may have them somewhere on a PC or USB stick but where i haven't a clue!

Old Mar 17th, 2018, 14:32   #19
98945lt

I see! My car/engine is running pretty good, no problem with startin up cold/hot, but anyway I'll take a check on this.
Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 14:54   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It won't cause starting problems as the vacuum will leak away from the kink/squashed part (assuming that's what it is) while the engine is off but it could be holding on to vacuum after a bit of running because of the restriction.
That would cause the idle speed to come up, for a while at least and depending where it picks up on the inlet, could be maintained at an incorrectly high level until you switch off for a few seconds.

I might well be wrong on this but it's worth a look.