Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snow Carnage on the A1 last Night

Views : 934

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:05   #1
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Default Snow Carnage on the A1 last Night

The mini beast struck with a vengeance on the A1 last night from Doncaster Nothwards but compounded by people driving like total numpties.

Case 1 Dropping down the hill to the bridge over the River Don, Nissan 370z comes past me (I'm doing 40 following a van in inside lane0 as road is just tracks) in outside lane, hits the bridge & spinny spin time Back end hits the outside barrier Front hits the nearside then car slides to a halt half on lane 1. the car directly behind stops, both the van & I crawl as driver & passenger get out of car looking OK.

So the road is slippery does that slow people down nope....

Case 2 at next junction A1 shut Northwards due to cars spinning & crashing, left the road at the junction exit & then directed to rejoin the other side of the junction but obviously proceed with caution.

Case 3 A car that had been sat in the traffic for case 2 (Blue Audi S5 was in lane 2 next to me) had gone blasting away once back on the A1, about 4 miles further on same Audi Facing wrong way half up the embankment.

Case 4 Wind forward to North Yorks 1 car in outside lane facing wrong way all smashed in, on hard shoulder 3 other cars that had all either hit it &/or each other, highways agency in attendance.

Case 5 Now in County Durham, loads of cars still tanking it past us (I stuck at 35-40) yet another set of accidents 1 with 2 cars in outside lane & multiple cars on the shoulder with police in attendence, we crawl past literally maybe
300m further on a fire engine sat on the shoulder dealing with a car in the field, maybe a further 300m on another fire engine another set of hazard lights blinking away in the field.

It took me 5Hrs to get from the M18 junction on the A1 to the A194M turn on the A1, normally this takes me 2.

In that whole distance although the signs were showing as salt spreading I didn't see a single gritter heading north, must have been 5 or more going south.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:23   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Drove much of this route yesterday from Newark (1245h) up to Scotch Corner (1445h). Windy with snow flurries and nothing settling.
However, what concerns me is seeing accidents on the A66 when (1) drivers were warned NOT to use the trans-pennine routes, and (2) the snow gates being closed too late to stop drivers getting into trouble.
As Andy implies, many drivers simply don't understand how to drive in winter conditions.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:31   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Nothing to worry about, just natural selection taking place, just make sure you stay well out of the way and let 'em get on with it. All the clues are there, some people never learn.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:36   #4
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
In that whole distance although the signs were showing as salt spreading I didn't see a single gritter heading north, must have been 5 or more going south.
Could that be because you were driving at the same speed or even less than that of the gritter so logic says you're not going to see one?
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:38   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Why would ANYONE go on the A66 when the weather starts to dip? You don't need the gates to close to steer clear. Obvious exceptions for people who live off it but for those crossing east to west and vice versa, just don't do it. Not a good road unless the weather is gentle.

I was driving down to Newcastle around 7pm last night, snow flurries in the main, the odd short stretch were road lines were not visible. Nothing at all like the experiences described already though. An Audi Q7 was driving up a slip road joining the A1. No rear lights on. I flashed the car, nothing. Flashed again, nothing. I over took, he had not built up any speed still, tried to motion to the driver but he wasn't looking. Dangerous, very dangerous.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 23:18   #6
blueblock

Had to drive the A57 back into Sheffield yesterday night, couple of inches of settled snow and very poor visibility - the regular speed limit is 50 and there was no way I was going more than 25 even on CrossClimates (which are pretty good on snow). About every 5 minutes somebody would be three inches from my bumper, many of them flashing their lights and aggressively trying to pass. I let them go - natural selection will do its job. Saw a lot of stranded and bumped cars in the city too - why people would still try to go out on a Saturday evening in thick snow on summer tyres is beyond me. I barricaded myself back in the house as soon as possible.

Also, both in the snow and in the recent fog - lots and lots of people with no lights!
blueblock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueblock For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 23:48   #7
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
The mini beast struck with a vengeance on the A1 last night from Doncaster Nothwards but compounded by people driving like total numpties.

Case 1 Dropping down the hill to the bridge over the River Don, Nissan 370z comes past me (I'm doing 40 following a van in inside lane0 as road is just tracks) in outside lane, So the road is slippery does that slow people down nope....
Get winter tyres; then you won't have to follow in the tracks on the inside lane. Anyone on Summer tyres that tries to follow you will soon get back into the "slow" track lane, if they are able !

I'm surprised British insurance companies haven't cottoned on to the fact that Winter tyres are financially better for them during Winter than Summer tyres ( not just on Snow and ice). I became a convert to using Winter tyres when I lived in Switzerland from 1985 to 1989 and all our car have had winter tyres ( apart from my V60 Polestar, but it will have them from late Autumn)
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 07:53   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Problem I found in mid Wales was drifting of snow off the fields. I failed to get to Devl's Bridge to collect a nurse and turned back on the information given by a plough driver. Then towed a 4x4 towing a golf out of a drift as I passed. Drifts were 2ft deep and building rapidly, the plough had been driving back and forth all day just trying to keep the road open. As my pick up was 4 miles off the ploughed route it was deemed preferable to leave the nurse safe at home as there was no way I was getting back out of the dip even if I got in.

Hasten to add I was in the landrover not the Volvo.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 08:49   #9
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

I drove to Newcastle and back last Sunday (over the North Yorkshire Moors) stopping for refreshment on the return journey in Helmsley.

It was cold (below 7) and evidence of heavy snow, quite a few on the roads, overtaking me, oblivious to the conditions - guy in a Mini overtook me at speed and he was off the road 20 minutes later !

So many fools on the roads.

Jon.

N.B been using winter tyres for nearly a decade now.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:22   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Get winter tyres; then you won't have to follow in the tracks on the inside lane. Anyone on Summer tyres that tries to follow you will soon get back into the "slow" track lane, if they are able !
I have winter tyres but am happy to tootle along come the snow. A couple of weeks ago I was going up the M6 through The Lakes in the snow. Only the inside lane was cleared. I could have gone up the middle or outside lane but it is amazing how your perception falters when you can not see the lane markings. Rather than be a hero I was happy to tuck in. I get that it gives you the option but it does not mean that you always have to take it.