Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM gone at 113,000 miles

Views : 4756

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 16:14   #11
stuartggray
StuartGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Stuart, Have you considered an ETM from XemodeX see Here - Need to double check the price conversion and way up the postage charges though - Mike
That would be my choice if time and money were no object. I think it worked out at about £370 plus any import tax HMRC might sting me for!

I've committed to the offer from ECUtesting.com.
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 13:18   #12
stuartggray
StuartGray

An Update

I ordered the part from ecutesting.com yesterday and had confirmation of payment at 14:20
This morning the front door bell rang at 9:00 and there was a package from ecutesting.com
I thought I may as well fit it and worry about getting to the Volvo dealer for a software update later. The instructions were to fit it and have its software done by the dealer.
I switched the ignition on and heard the 6 second whine of it calibrating as usual, then thought I'd start the car, because my local dealer said the car would not even start, far less run.
Well, it ran. Tickover settled down after heating up. I took the car for a drive and it's silky smooth. I now know that my old ETM was going for a while by how smooth this one is. It appears to have the Sacer fix too, but the name has been rubbed off.
What a result after so much trouble!

I cleared the pre-existing codes from the car and it is now clear after a good run.
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l

Last edited by stuartggray; Oct 6th, 2012 at 13:34.
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 21:20   #13
melsxc70

Unhappy Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartggray View Post
Well, looks like my ETM has packed in. Wouldn't run yesterday morning when I went to work. It was running fine the night before, it came home from work (15 miles), stopped at the house, went to Asda and back half an hour later, still no issue.
First thing I did was check the plugs because I knew they were old and it appeared to be misfiring at tick over, which was slightly raised (1100 rpm)
One plug actually had a bit of insulator missing so I thought that was it. Nipped down to the local factor in limp home mode with the car lit up like a Christmas tree, and more messages in the DIM than I get on my phone. Replaced them there, no change. Limped home (only half a mile)
Anyway, I PM'ed my local hero with a Vida setup, who came across the Forth Road Bridge in the most atrocious conditions (take a bow Yosser!)
Vida showed some errors relating to the ETM, but nothing definite. It did show that the ETM had to be software upgraded to do the test on Vida.
Crucially, Vida showed no misfire problems on the coil packs or any other problem apart from the ETM. The misfire noise was from the way the car controls the tickover in reduced power mode by cutting the injectors giving a staccato effect. This info was from Vida!
I pulled the ETM and had a look, it had the white sticker and with Vida saying it needed updated, more or less confirms the problem!
It is now on its way to Spokoluzic of this parish who confirmed it did not need updated by Volvo before being treated to a new contactless TPS.
My local Volvo garage (15 miles away) wanted just over £100 to update the software with no guarantee it would work and to consider replacing the old white sticker one with a new unit for an eyewatering £500.
I promised Yosser I would update when my ETM comes back, so I will. It's always nice to see how it panned out.
We have just bought a 2003 XC70 from a dealer in Derby (I am in Wales), I have done 300 miles so far and today the throttle died whilst I was overtaking a wagon with another wagon behind me, I have never been so scared in my life, the message came up that the engine service was needed, but the book is stamped as being serviced only 3000 miles ago, I managed to pull over to the side of the road and stop the car which was really weird and idling funny, When I switched it back on again after ten minutes of flapping (and trying to get through to my hubby on the phone) it seemed to drive okay, just a little jumpy, and jerky at idle, can anybody help me, is this what I am reading as an ETM fault, also the cruise control jumped off cruise when the throttle went off as well. Hubby works away and we bought this so I would not have any problems.
It has just done 112,000 miles and is a diesel D5, XC70 any help would be appreciated guys
Mel
melsxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 11:44   #14
spokoluzik
Trader

if is diesel there is no any issue with tb.
better you check maf sensor and vacuum system.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 12:01   #15
reggit
Premier Member

Melsxc70 - 'engine service required' means there is a fault on the engine, probably a sensor has failed, so the car will drop into limp mode.

If it was ready for a service, the message is 'Routine service required'

You really need to get it's codes read to determine what the issue is. As you've just bought it from a dealer, they should warranty it and therefore sort it out for you.