Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter Motor Removal re ETM cable

Views : 2602

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2013, 22:00   #1
GrahamB
GrahamB

Question Starter Motor Removal re ETM cable

2000 V70 Petrol non-turbo B5244S 155,000 miles.

Have been trying all afternoon to remove the starter motor in order to release the ETM cable. (ETS light came on for the first time the other day and rather than play around just cleaning it, I thought that I would bite the bullet and get it refurbished/modified by Sokoluzic (Luk-automotive) - any comments?)

My question is - how many bolts hold the starter motor? Haynes simply says 'remove the bolts (shows two in the photo) and the bolted bracket at the other end.' There are two main bolts accessible from the top, but undoing these and the main bracket bolt does not release the motor. Is there another bolt underneath, in which case I may be stuck with cutting and rejoining the cable as I am not up on ramps?

Having said all that, I have just found an old post by 'grass hopper' who says that the cable can be released by simply removing the end bracket and sliding it around the end of the motor. I will try that and if he is right - thanks!

Nevertheless - how many main bolts in the starter motor?
Audi A4 Avant TDI - Traitor
GrahamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:56   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Just remove the starter motor steady bracket you don't need to do anything else to get the ETM cable out.

I would try cleaning the ETM air tract and butterfly valve before getting the sensors swapped out, especially as its a non turbo model as ETM removal only takes a few mins. If you do release the cable from behind the starter, when you refit the ETM use a tyrap to secure the cable but don't route it behind the starter, makes cleaning it much easier in future. I tend to clean the ETM on mine once a year to prevent crud build up as the entire job takes less than thirty mins - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:01   #3
theonlyone

See this thread. The pics seem to have disappeared, but the description may help.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174347

Regards,

Last edited by theonlyone; May 26th, 2013 at 10:01. Reason: add link
theonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlyone For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:29   #4
GrahamB
GrahamB

Default Starter motor - re ETM Cable

Following Mike's advice, I have loosened off the end bracket and can get the cable around it. Unfortunately it is now jammed tightly behind the starter the wrong side of some other cables! So I thought I would try to remove the bracket completely - except that the nut won't come off because the bolt is spinning!
Will press on regardless!
Old May 27th, 2013, 19:39   #5
GrahamB
GrahamB

Thumbs up Jammed ETM cable

Managed to release the cable at last using mirrors and a small light and feed it around the bracket. After 154000 miles, now have to make the decision to just clean it, bung it back and wait for another ETS light, or get the refurb. At least the next time it would be easier to get out. Any advice welcomed?
Old May 28th, 2013, 23:24   #6
GrahamB
GrahamB

Default ETM Cleaning

Having got the ETM on to the bench, I will be cleaning it. I will try this until I get another ETS light, probably indicating a potentiometer problem. Now the ETM cable is released it will be easy to remove next time if a refurb is necessary.
My local Volvo dealer sold me a new gasket but would not sell me the recommended cleaning fluid - workshop use only! Guess I will use carburetor cleaner unless someone tells me not to? One post I read is that some throttle bodies (Fords?) have a coating that carburetor cleaner will destroy.
I was looking at one of the YouTube videos (US) on throttle body cleaning. One slightly disturbing point implied was that on electronic throttles you should not manually push the butterfly up and down - or a re-programme may be necessary. Guess what I have been doing!
Is this a known potential problem?
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:22   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

I use carb cleaner and haven't had an issue just avoid blasting it at the area the throttle butterfly valve shaft goes back in to the body of the ETM, never had an issue because of moving the butterfly valve by hand - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 20:20   #8
stuartggray
StuartGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I use carb cleaner and haven't had an issue just avoid blasting it at the area the throttle butterfly valve shaft goes back in to the body of the ETM, never had an issue because of moving the butterfly valve by hand - Mike

Neither have I.
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 21:25   #9
GrahamB
GrahamB

Default ETM Cleaning

Used carb cleaner - reassembled - job done thanks.

Running fine so far.