Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Our V40 D4 R-Design

Views : 12056

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2013, 12:44   #21
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout99 View Post
Ah i see.

we opted for the lux as we wanted some toys. As follows:-

Bright silver Metallic
xenon Active Bending Headlights
Heated Front Seats
Heated Windscreen
17” Ixion Wheels
Cruise Control
Frameless Autodimming Rear View Mirror
Leather Seats
Premium Sound Multimedia System with bluetooth
Keyless Start & Drive
Rear privacy glass

i have since bought a spare wheel off ebay for £20 and will find a jack and tool kit closer to the time.

same as this

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...BSload=2362515
Nice!

No navigation system?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 12:48   #22
sprout99
Master Member

decided not to bother ...... the dash looks no different
and can get a lot of alternative and transferable generic sat nav for the money so we decided to save the £30 a month it would have cost us.

originally looked and the 'lux nav' version.
sprout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout99 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 13:10   #23
Axionknight
Premier Member

• V40 D3 R-Design Lux
  • Rebel Blue paintwork.
  • Winter Pack (really wanted the heated windscreen due to where I live).
  • Premium performance stereo/multimedia.
  • Auto dimming mirror.

Tossed and turned about adding the sports pack, didn't bother in the end as it's only a mile muncher and I have a second car for fun anyway.

Brilliant, brilliant car.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 14:17   #24
sprout99
Master Member

how does it compare to the BMW when driving? quality etc?
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 14:42   #25
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axionknight View Post
  • V40 D3 R-Design Lux
  • Rebel Blue paintwork.
  • Winter Pack (really wanted the heated windscreen due to where I live).
  • Premium performance stereo/multimedia.
  • Auto dimming mirror.

Tossed and turned about adding the sports pack, didn't bother in the end as it's only a mile muncher and I have a second car for fun anyway.

Brilliant, brilliant car.
Nice

Pics pls
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 15:01   #26
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
how does it compare to the BMW when driving? quality etc?
Well.... not so easy to compare, but if we ignore the engines and the weight of the german, I would say that the Volvo is incredible agile and great through corners. It's also quite stable at speed but once you start passing the 135mph mark, then the Volvo becomes a bit "choppy" on the motorway. Not sure why... have checked the tyre pressures (correct) but perhaps it's due to the ultra hard suspension?! Steering is very quick on the V40 and I would disagree with anyone who thinks Volvo does not have feedback through its steering.

You can feel that power through the steering wheel but it's not as bad as the 850 T5's were when they came out (ie twitching to left and right).

The Volvo has the very destinctive warble from it's 5-cyl engine which is very entertaining to listen to. Gives a reason to down turn the awesome Premium Sound System and listen to the engine only!

Quality - I find the Volvo on par or above in many areas of all german makes (Audi comes to mind). Only in certain places have Volvo saved a few quid by using less desirable plastics/cheaper materials (ie footwells) than in the rest of the car.

The quality of the Volvo leather is by far superior to most other car makers IMO. Including the more expensive offerings of "Nappa" etc. Volvo use really good stuff. Soft, supple, comfortable yet suporting seats are known to be the best in the business - for years!

I don't really want to go on about how good the german is (it is actually very good) as I am a Volvo man at heart, but started to look at other car makes as Volvo is refusing to be more "interesting" in the engine department + very expensive to buy/lease in Germany. In the UK I drove Volvo for almost all of my 15 yrs living there!

I did do a short write up on the forum between a Hertz rental V70 and my 5-series estate (see below).

A Volvo will ALWAYS be a fantastic car IMO. Big, comfortable, safe, does the job perfectly fine etc etc. I guess this is the reasons most people buy one. However, in my case, I want a 6-cyl diesel engine - something Volvo haven't done for years (nor seems to want to release in order to compete with the 3 germans).

As for comparison....well, both have their good and bad.

Volvo V70
Good: A very large car, has the best leather quality (on par with the "Nappa" offerings of the Germans, a costly optional extra), fantastic climate control system. After a few tweaks, fantastic sound from the stereo - with or without the Premium Sound option. Silent. Good load ability of the boot with its straight (-ish) windows. I like the new digital speedo's and the Sat Nav + whole system very much. Lots of toys to play with!

Bad: 5-cyl diesels are very agricultural - in particular the D5 IMO. Geartronic gearboxes are getting better, but still miss that little to be at the top. Terrible design at the rear - whoever made it should be fired! Engines could be both much cleaner and more powerful to compete better (the former is a bit strange coming from Sweden with its huge distances and super clean thinking of the environment etc). Volvo could be alot braver with the interior colour options. A little choppy in the ride - not convinced this is down to the 18" wheels when driving on super smooth german autobahns though.

Bmw 5-series Touring
Good: Engine (would be as I have the 535D and 313bhp - tuned to 265bhp), 8-speed auto, sport seats are very comfortable. Leather is of nice quality. Feel just as safe in this car as in the Volvo. Sat Nav and the whole setup of the system is almost as good now (was better before) as in the Volvo with the latest Sensus software. Love the options of other interiour colours than just black or beige. Super clean engines compared to everyone else. I do love the looks of the 5-series saloon or estate, especially in sport (the latter I have).

Bad: Drug dealer image. Standard seats are crap IMO and one needs to spend top money for better ones. Everything is costly extra's. Not as big inside as the V70, especially the load area.

Which one is best I could not tell. I like them both! I like my wife's new V40 very much (although she won't let me drive it too often!). Volvo's are safe and dependable cars that probably won't let you down, ever. I think it's only really the (hardcore) engine and drive which I really do like of the 535D compared to the Volvo.

My pref option would be a Volvo with a 6-cyl diesel engine around the same output (say in the range of 280-300bhp) as in the Bmw. Then I would be the first to order one!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's

Last edited by NewVolvo; Sep 25th, 2013 at 15:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 15:27   #27
sprout99
Master Member

we love our V50 - it's like a comfy shoe. You know you can get in and drive for hours and get out again ok.

We've done a tour of Germany in it and it put my mates E61 520d M sport to shame on the autobahns.....We were travelling back from Fussen to Creglingen and were on a straight stretch of unrestricted autobahn. So off i went and he was losing ground on me. He wasn't best pleased to say the least !

The volvo build quality and reliability has been better than the previous VAG and BMW's we've owned.

We are hoping the V40 will be as good and if not better - we had a D2 V40 as a hire car in may while in croatia and enjoyed having it. Boot was a bit small for luggage and baby buggy but we managed

Last edited by sprout99; Sep 25th, 2013 at 15:32.
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 15:47   #28
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
we love our V50 - it's like a comfy shoe. You know you can get in and drive for hours and get out again ok.

We've done a tour of Germany in it and it put my mates E61 520d M sport to shame on the autobahns.....We were travelling back from Fussen to Creglingen and were on a straight stretch of unrestricted autobahn. So off i went and he was losing ground on me. He wasn't best pleased to say the least !

The volvo build quality and reliability has been better than the previous VAG and BMW's we've owned.

We are hoping the V40 will be as good and if not better - we had a D2 V40 as a hire car in may while in croatia and enjoyed having it. Boot was a bit small for luggage and baby buggy but we managed
The luggage area is a real downturn on the V40. We used the V40 to the UK in June for various business meetings + a stop at the BKV and it was difficult to fit everything in for 3 people. However, the car performed superb!

IMO the 520d is a bit under powered even though it is not "slow" and will reach very fast speeds, eventually. No wonder your V50 kicked his E61 My F11 has been tuned to 365bhp so not much that can keep up with it (it shaved off 4.5s between 50-130mph!). Except that M5 that was behind me the other day.... although there were no way for me to tell the difference looking at him in my rear view mirror!

I am off to Sweden in October for a couple of trips and have booked a V40 on both trips as a rental car. Be interesting to see what I get, especially as I've booked an automatic on both occasions!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 16:06   #29
sprout99
Master Member

thats our worry - V50 boot isn't massive but a large surface area thats flat - it will be missed. I liken the boot on the V40 to the e87 1er.

The mk5 golf will become the workhorse. I have my other car for weekend kicks !

You do get about fella ! how come you ended up in Germany?
I've been to Stuttgart a few times with work this year. I am a big fan of Germany. The Meilenwerk in Boeblingen is worth a visit for any car nut.
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 17:17   #30
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
thats our worry - V50 boot isn't massive but a large surface area thats flat - it will be missed. I liken the boot on the V40 to the e87 1er.

The mk5 golf will become the workhorse. I have my other car for weekend kicks !

You do get about fella ! how come you ended up in Germany?
I've been to Stuttgart a few times with work this year. I am a big fan of Germany. The Meilenwerk in Boeblingen is worth a visit for any car nut.
Long story short.... I am swedish, moved to Colchester in -96 and onto Cologne in 2010. Saw the 780 first time in 1985 and swore I would, eventually, buy one. Have one since 2009 which was 1 of only 2 in the UK when it was regged there. So despite driving a german, I do keep my Volvo genes alive with that

The Meilenwerk in Stuttgart is very nice and actually the last one they built. The other sites are in Berlin and Dusseldorf. Both worth a look for, as you say, car nuts.

What other car do you have?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's