Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition key wont turn

Views : 4606

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 19:52   #1
chris888

Default Ignition key wont turn

I have a Problem with my 1999 s80 2.9 SE Auto - Stopped the car , put it into park, took the key out of the ignition , now when i go to start it the key wont go past position 1 ? any ideas ?
chris888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 20:59   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

There is an interlock between the auto stick and igntion switch - can't exactly remember what, but think you can't remove key unless in park, and you can't come out of park without pressing brake pedal. Not sure about moving key from pos1. When I had a problem it was the solenoid that stopped the gearstick being moved from park. Can only suggest you try a combination of gear stick/key/brake pedal positons until (hopefully) something happens. Finally, often a 10 min disconnect of the battery can help to 'reset' things.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 22:26   #3
chris888

Tried waggling it in different positions but still no luck, one thing ive noticed is that although it goes to position 1 the tripometer and clock dont light up as they should do, also you cant switch the radio on and the deadlock switch does not seem to operate ( for the security level )
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 00:38   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Just on the off change, have you tried moving the steering wheel?

I sometimes find that when parked "off the straight" and with the steering lock definitively pushed in one direction it is difficult to turn the key in the ignition.

Try moving the wheel either one way or the other and see if the key will then turn..
You never know...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 02:33   #5
Mister T

Chris ,
You are going to need a new steering lock assembly, you will need to order it from a dealer , if you are stuck a long ways from help I can give you tips on how to make it drivable .
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:02   #6
chris888

Yeah it would appear to be the steering lock assembly, Ive been able to get the car going by stripping the ignition down and using a flat screw driver to start it, Looks like im going to have drill out the anti tamper studs holding the assembly in place in order to fit another.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 23:50   #7
gumboots

This exact problem happened to me about 6-8 weeks ago (D5 manual). Key partly turned to position 1 but no further and no electrics lighting up at all. I had all but resigned myself to ordering a new lock.

After trawling the 'net for a solution, I came across a suggestion to release the steering column adjustment lever and bang the column up and down while turning the key. I was VERY sceptical but I was a long way from home after garage closing so with nothing to lose I tried it. It worked!

Several weeks on and I've had no further problems - at least not with the steering lock.

Might be worth a try.
gumboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 01:54   #8
Mister T

Gumboots ,
I am glad this got you out of trouble but be warned it may not be a happy occasion next time , so get it fixed ASAP, may save a few pints at sometime,
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 09:10   #9
chris888

Problem Sorted

Priced up the part from volvo £170 + vat + Labour !!! Set about dismantling
it myself, After drilling out the old studs and knocking them out with a hammer and punch i removed the barrel , out of sheer curosity i tried the key in the lock- It worked no problem!!!! so after all that i put it back together - with new studs and its working perfect! Must have been all that knocking freeing it off !! Obviosly i will now carry a torx driver and flat screwdriver to get myself out of trouble if it happens again.

The Only other thing is that i now have an SRS service message - everything is back how it was tho, i had the seat right back as far as it would go so i could access the ignition - ive read that this can sometimes trigger the Message ( something to do with a sensor under the seat? )
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 15:42   #10
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Lots of things can trigger this - always best to disconnect battery first. You'll need to visit a dealer to get them to reset it (I paid about £10 once, for others get asked more - if you know a dealer well, then they may do it for free especially if you're having other work done).