Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 76930

Replies : 172

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 23:16   #11
Symes
Master Member

Ah yes, good spot.... I should have mentioned where the rear electrics module is! Thanks for the pointers Chris.

It sounds like broken wires are becoming a common problem... I've got away with it so far, but when the loom finally gives in I think I'll replace the section in the hinge with some extra flexible silicon coated cable :-)
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 04:27   #12
crutch

Default Thanks!

I've been driving around for about a year with my '94 850T tailgate stuck. I tried all kinds of things to open. I couldn't get the panel off because of the inside plastic around the interior latch lever wouldn't separate. finally I just broke it off. The peice that broke was a fairly even crack around the interior latch surround. The interior latch was still functional and the surround peice was still in tact and strong. I finally got the thing opened. I now can close the gate, half-locked, and use the outside latch to open. If it is slammed tight I'm able to now open with the interior latch. The child safety lock was on and that's why the interior latch wasn't functional. I disabled it and it works great. The exterior one is still sort of sketchy since it works with it half-closed. This is fine for my purpose because it is sort of my truck and the kids usually ride in the minivan. I bought a panel repair kit from a online volvo parts dealer and repaired the back panel. It is now nice and tight and everything is funtional even the wiper without hitting the panel. It's like I have a new car, yay, and can start using it as a truck again, yay#2.
-------
In this same day I was able to also repair the hood latch which has been broken for about 6 months. It needs an oil change. This one was easier. I popped the hood and pulled up as high as possible. I could then see the latch bt looking from the front-side. I got one of those strong aluminimum tent stakes (looks like a 10 or 8 guage wire but stronger, not the flat angled aluminum stakes) and was able to hook the latch and open. I then used that same aluminim stake and two pair of pliers and bent it around the latch and hand the wire stick out above the volvo logo on the grill. I then created a loop outside of the grill. It sticks out a bit but it dissappears at about 6-8 feet into the silver of the grill. There is till a little tugging and pulling to get the hood open but I can get it open when needed.
crutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 18:18   #13
Mike Cook

To the posts with the fuel flap problems just wait for about five minutesafter youve locked the car and then try. You might get a pleasent surprise!
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:45   #14
Gazdok
Master Member

As
Quote:
Mike Cook : To the posts with the fuel flap problems just wait for about five minutes after you've locked the car and then try. You might get a pleasent surprise!
says.
RTFM!! It is in there.
Special Volvo feature with delayed locking for the fuel flap.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 15:04   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
As says.
RTFM!! It is in there.
Special Volvo feature with delayed locking for the fuel flap.
These motors are prone to failure as they are just plastic inside.
This post explains how to repair the motor if the teeth break off.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 18:36   #16
slymarbo

absolute great how to article, mine had been stuck for about 8 months, now no longer, all i had to was pop the trim, open the boot, keep the outside handle upto the open position and pop the "coat hanger" thingy back into tis rightfull hole, job done in 10minutes

now i just need to get round to sorting the heater motor/fan out...sounds like a jet taking off if its past 1/4 turn and vibrates the whole car something cronic, any ideas or quick-fixes???

ex gun runner (ARV)

"Zoidberg"
slymarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 01:13   #17
John-wbt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusb View Post
Really useful thread.
My problem was that the lock operated when the boot was up, but didn't when it was closed.

Tracked it down to a wire (between lock and block inside bootspace above rear speaker) that was bent/broken through, which was not touching when the boot was closed.

Top thread though - gave me the inspiration to fix a non-locking boot that I've put u[ with for a year !
Thanks for your post - Timberpolka - a Canadian lumberjack dancer?
I've solved the reason why my tailgate lock only worked intermittently
The loom of wires had been tied up very tightly with a cable tie
just in front of the n/s tailgate gas strut
When I exposed the wires two were completely broken
a thick black and a I think a pink and black stripe
Joined the two back together and everything works fine
Apart from now the alarm sensor on the dash flashes very quickly for 15secs
when I turn on the engine
It says there a problem with the alarm or the immobiliser
Think I better check back there aren't any more broken wires
or that I pushed the loom connector back securely

Anyway to you all in forum land -
keep the info coming - as it's a source of invaluable help to everyone

John
John-wbt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 22:03   #18
tmprutton

Default Tailgate locking

Great posts thank you, but I have a slightly different problem my tailgate will lock but not unlock.
Per advice from these posts I have clambered around the boot pulled the trim and managed to get to the latch mechanism, this all happened the day before I was driving back from holiday in France and need to load the car up!!
So every time I lock the car I have to climb into the boot to unlock it again, real pain.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
My car is a 2003 V70.
tmprutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:52   #19
Symes
Master Member

tmprutton - my guess is that the 'lock' wire to the solenoid has broken in the loom at the hinge. You may find that some of the other wires are also in need of some 'tlc'!
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 21:30   #20
tmprutton

Default It was the wiring

Thanks a lot for your post, I pulled the plastic cover off the hinge and there in all their glory were 2 broken grey wires, one black, two yellow almost gone, vvvvvery bad design!!!! Reconnected them but alas the same situation I guess some more investigation. Do you know where I could get a wiring diagram or this section of harness around the hinge or even the wire gauges, without going to Volvo. Thanks again.
tmprutton is offline   Reply With Quote