Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New purchase

Views : 803

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:30   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default New purchase

Well I collected my 1997 944 2.3 LPT auto yesterday, and to my relief its actually rather nice! Not perfect, but then again it is still a 9 year old car afterall!

Loads of service records (mainly main dealship), all old MoTs, 3 keys and an alarm fob Some problems noted so far - needs front discs badly - double vision under braking Exhaust blowing, one barely legal tyre, and it won't idle in Park or Neutral (but idles fine in Drive). Needs a thorough clean inside and out. Some scratches and one small ding on a wheel arch. Other than that, shes looking like a good un!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 21:54   #2
LankyTim
Missing the point

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new project. I didnt see what the end price was on the auction in the end, but if was anywhere near what it was when I saw it you got a real bargain. When you start releasing a few extra horses maybe I could pick your brain on how you did it and how I could do the same, seeing as my new 940 is pretty much identical to yours.

*edit* Ive tried resizing this pic in photobucket, its nice and small on my photobucket web page, but its still big on here. Whats going on??

Last edited by LankyTim; Jun 18th, 2006 at 22:29.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 17:30   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Would you believe it cost me £800. It was on the forecourt at £1295! I was watching your car go through and was tempted, but the colour put me off - I've had a black car before, and while it looks gorgeous when clean, I was always washing/polishing it as it looked dirty so quickly. Also mine developed a white rash on the bonnet when the white/light grey undercoat showed up via chips Good thinking Rover! (It was a Rover 800 2.0T Vitesse).

No problem re the tuning tips. What I'll be doing is this:

1. Swapping my 2.5inch exhaust from the 945 to the 944 - better gas ejection and the turbo spins up much faster. Serious tuners prefer a straight 3 inch system but I won't be going over 300bhp so this is fine;

2. Fitting manual boost controller and raising boost to 12/13 psi (from 4.5psi std);

3. Fitting an A profile camshaft from B230ET engine (slightly higher lift than standard turbo T camshaft but still tractable at low rpm);

3. Fitting a chip from Turbobricks.com member Frederick - above mods plus his chip = 220 bhp certified;

4. Fitting larger turbo td04hl-15g from an 850T5. Its almost a swap - some minor mods needed;

5. Fitting larger injections to ensure the engine doesn't run lean and melt pistons(!);

6. Fitting a larger intercooler;

7. Might fit a different cylinder head (the 531 head fitted to the B230ET flows better). I've just bought one of these 'just in case' ;

Steps 1-7 incl should give 250 bhp.

It all sounds very involved, but I've been picking up bits and bobs over the last 9 months or so, and I have most of them already. Total cost to date = around £600 and that includes a low mileage 1996 B230FK engine that I was going to drop into the 945!

I decided on this route as the insurance is cheaper if you modify the installed engine, rather than swap the engine for a large capacity engine, then tune that. If you want insurance advice I'd recommend you speak with Chris Knott - they were very helpful.

BTW I had/have the same problem with my picture - it looked small until it was uploaded

Almost forgot, if you 'only' want around 175bhp, all you need to do is step 2 - plus fit a boost gauge to ensure that you don't go much over 15psi by mistake - not good for longevity. The redblocks can take 15 psi no problem, but hit 18-20 and you'll start getting problems. If you go for 15psi fit a fuel mixture gauge as well to ensure that you don't run too lean.

All the best,

Last edited by RollingThunder; Jun 19th, 2006 at 17:35.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 18:43   #4
LankyTim
Missing the point

Thanks for the info, Where would I put a boost gauge? Could I use one under the bonnet, set the boost and then take it off or would it need to be a permament one fitted inside the car?

£800 is a bargain for a P reg volvo 940. Im always amazed at how the overlooked saloons go begging sometimes. Wel be suffering though when we come to sell them. If you buy them cheap that means youll have to sell them cheap too!

I know what you mean about the colour, It is difficult to keep clean and shows up any inperfection, but with a good wash and wax she really looks the business!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 07:02   #5
ivor940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder
fit a fuel mixture gauge
Hi RT, Sorry I missed you at the National, it was a great day. Your new car looks real nice. BTW what is a fuel mixture guage? Will it also tell you if the car is running too rich?

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:38   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

The boost gauge can be permanent or temporary - up to you. Personally I prefer to see the boost gauge on a day to day basis - its easy to get used to the additional power and end up tearing around to the detriment of fuel economy! The gauge is a reminder that your foot is a bit too lead encased

The Americans like to put their additional gauges on the A pillar - you can buy trim incorporating 2 or 3 gauges that replaces the pillar mouldings for left hand drive cars. Most Brits fit their boost gauge either in the dash somewhere (you can get a panel that fits into a DIN radio slot), or else on top of the dash near the A pillar. Various pod mounts are available here http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/inde...Path=1757_1981

Ivor, the fuel mixture gauge does indeed give you a lean-optimum-rich real time indication - its wired (must be soldered) into the lamba sensor. You can either get a traditional dial type gauge, or a very suble LED strip that fits into a switch socket. There is a good write up of the gauge operation here http://www.international-auto.com/in...m?fa=ad&aid=52 .

Update - www.ipdusa.com who used to sell the LED switch gauge aren't listing it today - and I was only looking at them at the weekend! If you're interested you could drop them an email - they may simply be out of stock.

Hope this helps,