Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 760 2.8 gle engine problems

Views : 3776

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2020, 12:48   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyctill View Post
yeah I know its a nice car I have had it about 10 years now I would like to keep it I have got a new set of spark plugs to try I would like to change the ht leads but dam expensive I will keep you posted
The HT leads aren't that bad if you know where to go!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+wire+set,7224

I would go for the Bosch ones as the set includes a new RPM sensor for #1 plug lead (rear of LH bank) which is another potential source of your troubles. For the cost of them, if the originals to the car are still on there it's worth it as they do fail with age. Also the smoother running will pay dividends in fuel economy to the point where they will probably pay for themselves inside 6 months.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 17:37   #22
griston64
Premier Member

Bosch on my car fell apart when I removed them. Original is Bourgicord and I wouldn't fit anything else.

Only about £30 a set
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 18:02   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Bosch on my car fell apart when I removed them. Original is Bourgicord and I wouldn't fit anything else.

Only about £30 a set
I wish Bougicord were only £30 a set! This is a V6 Mark!

The OE fit was Bougicord and they lasted 30 years on mine then fell apart, nigh on extinct now hence the recommendation for Rock Auto for £41 a set of 7 leads and includes the rpm pick-up that lives on #1 plug lead which is situated on the rear of the left hand bank.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 8th, 2020, 17:05   #24
gordyctill

I have got a rota arm and a distributor cap on order my ht leads that are on the car are volvo so I will invest in a new set and we will see what happens thanks
gordyctill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gordyctill For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2020, 17:30   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have got a rota arm and a distributor cap on order my ht leads that are on the car are volvo so I will invest in a new set and we will see what happens thanks
That's good news!

When you change the dizzy cap and leads, do the leads one at a time so you know exactly where they're going. Also while the plug lead is off the spark plug, remove the plug (do this for each lead) and clean it with a wire brush and set the gap to 0.7mm before refitting.

Also check the condition of the plugs, particularly the insulator. If there is a burned brown ring on the insulator just above the metal body of the plug, renew it.

Take your time and do it methodically, cylinders are numbered from the back of the engine to the front, left to right so cylinders 1, 2 & 3 are on the left with #1 being at the back near the bulkhead with the RPM sensor on it, cylinders 4, 5 & 6 are on the right with #4 being closest to the bulkhead.

For the avoidance of doubt, references to left and right are as viewed from the drivers seat sat in the normal position, NOT as viewed under the bonnet!

Old Nov 11th, 2020, 18:16   #26
gordyctill

hi just to let you know i have changed the spark plugs and no change but the plugs where black do you think it is worth getting the ecu checked just for piece of mind I have still got the rota and cap to change thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to gordyctill For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 18:30   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
hi just to let you know i have changed the spark plugs and no change but the plugs where black do you think it is worth getting the ecu checked just for piece of mind I have still got the rota and cap to change thanks
Have you checked your air filter at all? Also what did you set the gap to on the new plugs?

The ECU doesn't sound like it's giving trouble at the moment but if you have a Lambda sensor that might be passed its best, if you don't then the mixture screw on the MAF may need adjusting.

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 16:21   #28
gordyctill

hi help I have now broken down the car was running sweet but today went to come home from work and it would not start turned the key it fired then stopped tyred again would not start but stank of petrol so pulled the fuel pump fuse and then it starts it is like it is flooding can you help
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 18:06   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
hi help I have now broken down the car was running sweet but today went to come home from work and it would not start turned the key it fired then stopped tyred again would not start but stank of petrol so pulled the fuel pump fuse and then it starts it is like it is flooding can you help
Check all HT leadsa are pushed fully home on the dizzy cap, plugs and coil, refit the fuel pump fuse and proceed for starting a flooded engine.

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 18:39   #30
gordyctill

hi I did take out a plug to check if I had spark I did but it was a feeble spark so I don't know if it is the ignition amplifier that's on its way out thanks