Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To Reset Volvo guard

Views : 6499

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 11:38   #1
Jim Ewart

I Have a Sep 94 940GLE and i think it is fitted with an optional alarm/immobiliser.It is the one with the blue trim keyfob with one button.I have replaced batteries on this.There is a sensor on the driverside windscreen bar with 2 LEDs and a button. We havent used the keyfob for a year or 2 and yesterday the alarm went off and would not reset when I locked the door..Now alarm goes off everytime I open door and immobiliser locks me out..I really need help quick as I cant use car thank you all in advance
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 17:35   #2
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default alarm/immo

Volvo dealer job I'm afraid. The alarm/immobilser relay has to be removed from car and reset on special piece of kit dealers have. The unit can be disarmed and your remote/s can be re-programmed at the same time.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 20:03   #3
Jim Ewart

Thanks for speedy response. Is there no way of bypassing or deactivating immobiliser for the time being.Cant afford dealership prices at minute but obviously depend on car.I actually dont mind if immobiliser is destroyed in process.Car is getting older everyday and but it is my lifeline.....
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 22:38   #4
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

I have sent you a private message,with regard to the alarm problem.
as I do not want to brodcast the way around the alarm.
Regards Roger.
P.S. to get to your PMs ,log in then at the top right of this page under were it says"welcome Jim Ewart",it says "private messages"click on this.
then click"inbox" were it says"Private Messages in folder:inbox"

Last edited by rogerb; Apr 19th, 2007 at 22:50.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:18   #5
nigelsmithson

Sorry to hear of your problems and I hope they're resolved. Don't suppose you have a spare blue edged single button fob I could buy off you? I only have one for my '95 2.3 LPT and it's on its last legs.

Thanks.
nigelsmithson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 23:59   #6
chrisdonne

Default Volvo 940 alarm

Hi,

After a few hours of searching I found this thread that gave me a little hope with my 940 alarm problem...

The cause of the problem was quite simple, we have had new street lights installed and it's like daylight in the middle of the night now so I forgot to turn my lights off (Or somehow the switch got into the middle position) Needless to say the battery went flat.

Everything was working ok before that happened, the grey remote gizzmo locked/unlocked the doors flashed the indicators and set/unset the alarm. Now is a different story, the door locks don't work at all neither does the indicator lamps and I'm unsure about the alarm, it goes off (Sounds the horn) I think that is when I have two status lights flashing and open the door, if I click the remote then all the status lights go off and I can open the door without the alarm sounding and that's it.

So I thought to myself no problem, read the instruction manual, then I got totally confused, I wasn't sure if I needed to go through what looked like a lot of complicated setting up or if there was a simpler way of doing things....
I also noted that one of the alarm functions prevents the vehicle from starting and as it starts ok at the moment I did not fancy screwing that up, I also saw somewhere that the control box remembers things for 10 years... just my luck, this is twelve.

Google didn't help very much until I got here and then I saw hope...

Does anyone know what is my best course of action??

Vehicle is a a 940 Turbo and the alarm instruction manual says it is a Volvo Guard Alarm System (Only one button on the fob)

I would be grateful for any assistance with this.

Thank you.

Chris Donne
chrisdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 11:08   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Perhaps it it the old:
Get in car.
Close door.
Key in ignition.
Turn key on/off 4 times.
Turn key in ignition on.
Press button on Fob.
Car should beep or react.
Within 10 seconds, press button on next fob.
Etc for all fobs.

Test fob.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:21   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I agree with Des - its certainly not a dealer job

Make sure you do all the fobs together one after the other, as any not programmed in then, will no longer be recognised.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:41   #9
chrisdonne

Ok... Thank you very much for your replies, I tried that and I'm afraid it had no effect, I also managed to get some instructions from the garage that services my car, that said there were three variants for my model, I identified the correct one (Triangular controler on the RHS A pillar) but that had no effect either.

So.... I reverted to the instruction manual which originally I found confusing, after a couple of dummy runs and reading it three times the penny dropped as to how to do it, took me about half an hour but it's back to normal now.

I assume that since the 10 year memory retention that Volvo talk about expired two years ago it needed a full reprogram, whether or not that means it's ok for another ten years remains to be seen.

I only have one fob for this car, does anyone know the best place to get a second one? If the instructions that I have are any use to anyone else I will scan them and post them up here or somewhere, let me know if that would be useful, in the meantime thanks for the responses.

Regards,

Chris Donne.
-----------------
chrisdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 20:55   #10
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Try breakers like Salvo, Braydons or CP Motors..
You can also venture onto ebay and see what's there..
Make sure to get the same type/model of fob as your existing one..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote