Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To Reset Volvo guard

Views : 6534

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2011, 19:00   #11
djolly

I need help with my alarm system also..92 940 Turbo.....It wont let me start the car..can anyone help me??
djolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 20:16   #12
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Holy thread resurrection!

What symptoms? Engine turning over? Alarm fitted and what type?
More input required!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 20:59   #13
grandadgee

when i bought my wentworth last year i was given two gray fobs in pieces and told that they had not been used as they could not get them to work(they had the car for 5 years)when at home i looked at the pieces and noticed that the battery conections were in a bad state, so i cleaned them up. i only had batteries in a pack from the pound shop, so founed the one that fitted the best(yes the immage was an alarm fob), put both together(one with selotape) they both work perfectley, so gave my wife the one with sticky tape. geoff.

ps.car is a 1995 model.
grandadgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 12:43   #14
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Chris,

Partsforvolvoonline.com will supply a replacement fob (modern design) at £6.25+VAT and postage, though I've not tried one. Second-hand? On ebay they go for £30 or so.

Eric.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 16:01   #15
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbeaumont View Post
Chris,

Partsforvolvoonline.com will supply a replacement fob (modern design) at £6.25+VAT and postage, though I've not tried one. Second-hand? On ebay they go for £30 or so.

Eric.
These seem to be the buttons only, and they don't do anything for the blue line remote (up to 1995). AFAIK there are no user fob programming options on this one.

Unless you can get a good 2nd hand remote, it is not that hard to replace the Volvo alarm with an aftermarket remote control unit. The connections are pretty standard for central locking, starter motor, lights etc
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 22:34   #16
Gemini02

Hi Roger,
Just curious if you can help. Just bought a low mileage clean 940 and managed to get the remote working so tried to get a second one working but now can't get either. The light on the left flashes as it should but can't get either to handshake. Any ideas why? have done this many times on my collection of 4 x 940's but this one is proving a problem. Is it possible I can reset the alarm in some way if its not responding to the key fobs. Both fobs worked before I tried to get them coded at the same time since two fobs is insurance if one fails/gets lost/or batteries die.

Kind regards, Nigel.
Gemini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 02:01   #17
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Useful?

Let's keep this running. Out of my 5 Volvos - 4 of which should have remotes, I have 9 remotes of which one and one only works...
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 00:44   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

The only reset is to turn it off and on again by disconnecting the battery. If the battery is disconnected they are susceptable to a bad boot if the terminal is not pushed on quickly so there is no arching.

The other problem is the receiver can get a bit off in its old age with declining range, you can adjust it to make it work but its not a permanent solution. Its not clear if replacing the adjuster works permanently, I havn't tried this yet.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 23:38   #19
Forrest
VOC Member

For Volvoguard 1 (grey, single-button fob) try my trouble-shooting tips and links in post 5 here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234429

Note that new remotes (if available) can be home-programmed but not using the ignition on/off method.

I've always found Volvoguard 2 (black, two-button fob) much more impenetrable. I think one of my 940s needs the equivalent of the receiver adjustment treatment but without the receiver on the windscreen I don't know where to begin.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 12:49   #20
oldmandriving

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdonne View Post
Ok... Thank you very much for your replies, I tried that and I'm afraid it had no effect, I also managed to get some instructions from the garage that services my car, that said there were three variants for my model, I identified the correct one (Triangular controler on the RHS A pillar) but that had no effect either.

So.... I reverted to the instruction manual which originally I found confusing, after a couple of dummy runs and reading it three times the penny dropped as to how to do it, took me about half an hour but it's back to normal now.

I assume that since the 10 year memory retention that Volvo talk about expired two years ago it needed a full reprogram, whether or not that means it's ok for another ten years remains to be seen.

I only have one fob for this car, does anyone know the best place to get a second one? If the instructions that I have are any use to anyone else I will scan them and post them up here or somewhere, let me know if that would be useful, in the meantime thanks for the responses.

Regards,

Chris Donne.
-----------------
any chance of how to sort out the volvo guard 1 alarm after the ten year period please
oldmandriving is offline   Reply With Quote