Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol S90/V90

Views : 1008

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:21   #11
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I was under the impression that the T5 and T6 designations used to apply to the number of cylinders on that particular car, and that it had been performance enhanced.
Using them now on a 4 cylinder engine doesn't make any sense to me, as the numbers don't relate to anything.
They’re all at it, 4 cylinder 2 litre BMW 330e, E200/220/250 all with a 2.2 etc.

Volvo used to have D4 5 pots as well.

Worlds gone mental.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:43   #12
isleaiw
Master Member

I thought the number indicated power and each number represented a power band?

A bit like Audi are about to do with their nomenclature except theirs makes even less sense...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 13:54   #13
gaby
Premier Member

Long ago, in the previous century, volvo has used numbers that meant something.
A 244 was a second generation car with 4 doors and a 4 cylinder engine, a 245 had 5 doors.
A 262C also was 2nd generation but with a 6 cylinder engine and 2 doors, a Coupé.
Now there still is a kind of hierarchy, the higher the number, the more power.
D3 - D4 - D5 for diesels, T5 - T6 - T8 for petrol engines.
Not meaningless, and still "advertising" status (as is the AWD and the Polestar label?)
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 10:05   #14
chrisrixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
They all do that, choice between 5 and 7 seats is another example.
But I often read that Volvo is to be blamed for it while, as you write, it's (in this case) Volvo UK's doing.
Volvo UK seems to like to introduce lots of little quirks to the specifications just to make life difficult for potential customers - eq Adaptive headlights now only on Pro versions.

On the XC90 we are still not offered 5 seat version, or the D4 FWD, D4 AWD or T5 AWD - all available in RHD in other countries.
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 13:08   #15
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrixy View Post
Volvo UK seems to like to introduce lots of little quirks to the specifications just to make life difficult for potential customers - eq Adaptive headlights now only on Pro versions.

On the XC90 we are still not offered 5 seat version, or the D4 FWD, D4 AWD or T5 AWD - all available in RHD in other countries.
You dont have the 5 seat version in the UK?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 16:09   #16
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrixy View Post

I wonder if the reasoning is that potential customers will buy the more expensive configurations anyhow.
Volvo may very well loose some customers and thus hurt sales because of this strategy.
In 2003, when we were in the market for our next car, one of the reasons it wasn't going to be the XC90
was that it was only available with 3 rows, although a 5 seater did exist.
Perhaps in that case not the biggest loss for Volvo since we decided on an XC70...
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 18:58   #17
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
You dont have the 5 seat version in the UK?
No, the 5-seat version isn't available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I wonder if the reasoning is that potential customers will buy the more expensive configurations anyhow.
That's what they're encouraging (forcing?) buyers to do. But it could backfire. I have various options on my Momentum (eg Adaptive Headlamps) that are no longer available on that car and I wouldn't upgrade to an Inscription Pro just to get them. I'd be more likely to look around at what other manufacturers offer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 23:29   #18
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Volvo UK has always been the same but as long as we, the customers, dont say anything to them, nothing will change. Personally I wouldn’t buy a diesel and would expect them to introduce all versions, ie T5 and T6! If not, no sale! Simple.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 23:45   #19
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Volvo UK has always been the same but as long as we, the customers, dont say anything to them, nothing will change. Personally I wouldn’t buy a diesel and would expect them to introduce all versions, ie T5 and T6! If not, no sale! Simple.
Dead right, twice I have emailed Volvo UK asking them why I cannot buy the spec of the new XC60 that I as a customer want to buy that is available to most other car markets in the world - a T6 XC60. Just received a standard email saying no demand in the UK ........ despite there being demand in most other global markets.
Surely Volvo UK should sell what the customers want to buy rather than take an island “head in sands”approach and decide on our behalf what we are allowed to buy.
Please email custcare@volvocars.com
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 00:07   #20
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Dead right, twice I have emailed Volvo UK asking them why I cannot buy the spec of the new XC60 that I as a customer want to buy that is available to most other car markets in the world - a T6 XC60. Just received a standard email saying no demand in the UK ........ despite there being demand in most other global markets.
Surely Volvo UK should sell what the customers want to buy rather than take an island “head in sands”approach and decide on our behalf what we are allowed to buy.
Please email custcare@volvocars.com
There is a demand, but clearly Volvo UK have choosen to ignore it! At least here in Germany, a petrol head market (here, petrol still outsells diesels btw!) we can get every version including the 5-seater version of the XC90!

However, when we did our Polestar upgrade on the XC60 T5, our dealer informed us we we were the first! Very different than in the UK were many seems to do it, which is funny as here, we have motorways with no limits! I mean, i did 140mph today.....

Thanks for the email address. Will be sending them an email as I still have a rather large precence in the UK including cars!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post: