Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can the XC40 be my new XC60!!?

Views : 5331

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 14:24   #21
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
You're quite right. If I decide to go for the XC40, it will be the first time I have placed myself in this vulnerable position. At least I will wait until I have had a thorough test drive of the car, which is more than many people do with these new launches. But then again, it is a Volvo, what can possibly go wrong!!?

(PS: the other two cars on my short list are the ePace and the next generation CRV - neither of which have proved themselves yet! Doooogh, I’d better go and lie down in a darkened room!!)
The CR-V was on my 2015 short-list. It failed to impress. I do think, although UK-manufactured, the CR-V is targeted at the US market. Certainly the engines don't have the output of the XC60 or the Jaguar offerings.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 18:43   #22
Crockers
Premier Member

The USA Cr-v is manufactured in the USA. It used to have a 2.4 4cyclinder but I do believe the 2018 has a 1.6 turbo with CVT box. Also the rear lights are different - more akin to the new XC60.
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 21:34   #23
norco

New XC40 could well steal me from the XC60. Just perused the brochure and price list.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/res...hure-pricelist

Base spec is comprehensive but 190 D4 only available with the high end specs so interesting to see if the 150 diesel is swift enough in the smaller car. The T5 petrol 254 looks a quite pacey. Boot size is 460 vs 505 so depending on height (745mm) and shape might not be too much compromise. Just have to see the shape in the flesh and some discounts by mid 2019 when my lease is up.... and convince the OH...
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 22:01   #24
Mick787

Crockers, I completely understand your logic, why change? Recently I changed my car, I had no reason to. So why did I do it? Because the gap is always getting bigger between the value of your current car and any newer (not necessarily brand new), model. At some point in time, you have to accept that the money isn’t coming in to be able to own and run a ‘decent and reliable car’, so taking the plunge for as long as you can, I believe, is the only way to have something that may keep going and not be a money pit at a back street garage. That is why I changed. I honestly can’t see us changing again now, friends say I will, but I just can’t see how I will be able to afford a decent car in 5 years time. I hope my second hand, low mileage D5 will give us 10 years or more reliable and comfortable motoring. PCP, no thank you. I know people who are already in negative equity. Each to their own.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 10:07   #25
Celticxc60

I could also be convert from my XC 60 to the XC40. Saw the new XC60 in a showroom last week and it looked BIG compared to mine. Also I hated the Silver wing mirror covers. That has got to go! They look tacky and as if it's an afterthought.
Shall now wait until I can see in the metal what the XC40 looks like.
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 13:23   #26
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticxc60 View Post
I could also be convert from my XC 60 to the XC40. Saw the new XC60 in a showroom last week and it looked BIG compared to mine. Also I hated the Silver wing mirror covers. That has got to go! They look tacky and as if it's an afterthought.
Shall now wait until I can see in the metal what the XC40 looks like.
The silver door mirror caps are standard on all the R-Design models in the Volvo range - if you look at a Momentum or Inscription model, they are the same colour as the body.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 00:57   #27
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
But then the dilemma is if I want the D5 it has to be geartronic. I fear I will need to make the transition. Other manufacturers have ditched manual boxes completely in some comparable cars - the GLC for example.
The D5 also gives me a decent fuel tank - 71 litres compared to 60 litres.
Decisions, decisions -- as our friend Arianne has wrestled with at great length.
Don't fear the change. Marrying an American forced me over to automatics and within a week I thought manuals were for mugs! And that was a 2005 Vauxhall Astra!
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 18:57   #28
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
The silver door mirror caps are standard on all the R-Design models in the Volvo range - if you look at a Momentum or Inscription model, they are the same colour as the body.
On the new XC40 the RDesign comes with a black roof and black wing mirror covers...which looks a lot better IMHO.

I too am looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh when I come to swap my XC60 next year.
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 17:38   #29
NigelDay
Premier Member

This reads very well ...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/x...rce=newsletter
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 19:10   #30
Waggatron

And this one....

https://www.whatcar.com/news/volvo-xc40-review/
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post: