Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 leaking in boot compartment

Views : 3034

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2015, 18:28   #1
Chris Ridley

Angry C70 leaking in boot compartment

Hello, has anyone else had a mysterious leak (rain water) in to the rear boot compartment of a C70 mk2 2008, i've noticed it on and off since I bought the car back in October 2013, I first thought it was coming from the rubber seal of the boot lid by the rear window but having regularly checked it's not leaking there, what does the team think

Regards Chris
Chris Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 19:26   #2
alfadave11

best get in boot compartment and someone outside soaking each area around compartment ......only way to do it
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 19:35   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

Seen a couple of leak water from inside of boot seal where it fits on metalwork where it drops down where lights are,

They go from double skin to single and it leaks in there behind seal
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 20:00   #4
dcw
VOC Member

Are the drain holes blocked?

They have a 90 degree bend in them not far down - if you carefully pour water in them you should see it running out behind the wheel arch liner, and if they are blocked they cause water to get in the boot very easily...

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 13:29   #5
Chris Ridley

Good idea but not physically possible for me ?
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 13:41   #6
Chris Ridley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post
Are the drain holes blocked?

They have a 90 degree bend in them not far down - if you carefully pour water in them you should see it running out behind the wheel arch liner, and if they are blocked they cause water to get in the boot very easily...

David
Looked and checked both the small rubber gaiters that take the run off rainwater through almost a right angle then back on the wing over the rear wheel both are clear of any obstructions and look watertight at either end (so no leak there) I've put and very absorbent clothe trucked under the carpet in the boot to the side of the spare tyre well right by the rear lights and it gets totally saturated after almost any rainfall, I've put the spare wheel in its fabric carry case ontop of a plastic sheet in the tyre well and since then its remained dry, so I know there's nothing dripping down from above ?? any ideas all ??
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 13:42   #7
Chris Ridley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Seen a couple of leak water from inside of boot seal where it fits on metalwork where it drops down where lights are,

They go from double skin to single and it leaks in there behind seal
Could you elaborate please, you may well have the answer I'm looking for ??
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 16:07   #8
volvo for ever
Premier Member

hi remve all boot panel /side panels very easy ,then once you have dried it of go inside boot and get some one with hose and water test only way ,,hard to say ,,,common faults are drain tubes,,boot seal also rubber seal around back roof panel now ive done quite a few leaks on C70;s so my advise would be dry it off then water ingress test in

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 15:12   #9
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

I had a leak into the boot on mine from when I got it, it came up as wet patches on the bottom of the spare wheel well. The cause was the rubber seal over the metal lip of the boot sill, it had been applied badly where it went under the grey plastic sill cover. You couldn't see from above that it was folded in one place but flattened to fit, leaving a path for water to get in over the metal lip.

If you haven't already got there, you can remove the sill cover panel by pulling it upwards with your fingers underneath the bottom edge inside the boot - but not too hard as you have to unclip one wiring connector from behind it. Once it's out you can take out the boot floor liner to dry it - undo the four big silver bolts/tie-down loops. You may have to cut pieces out of the foam pad which is glued to the floor in order to dry the channels underneath it - I just kept the pieces and just put them back in place when I was ready to put the floor liner back in. But first I put the sill panel back on and ran around for a week with no floor liner to make sure I wasn't getting any more water in.

Hope you manage to find where the water is coming from!

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 14:56   #10
Sparman

My boot gets soaked everytime I open it in wet weather. The rain water simply drips into the boot on either side when boot is fully opened