Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Not all 4 wheel drive systems are equal

Views : 2616

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2017, 22:04   #1
Fat Magpie

Default Not all 4 wheel drive systems are equal

I stumbled across this video and found some of the results surprising. no Volvos tested but still interesting.
Some of these systems leave a lot to be desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09ExAUgtyE

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Jul 8th, 2017 at 22:30. Reason: deleted ?v=
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 10:40   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Hmmm that's a bit of a propaganda video but does make some key points. All post 2003 AWD Volvo models are haldex based as it the Passat but Volvo do their own software so they may behave differently.

This is an interesting vid....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpp5tW71qYI

Early model XC90 doing its thang at 9mins, XC70 at 26 min and XC90 again straight after.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 1st, 2017 at 10:45.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 11:27   #3
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Hmmm that's a bit of a propaganda video but does make some key points. All post 2003 AWD Volvo models are haldex based as it the Passat but Volvo do their own software so they may behave differently.

This is an interesting vid....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpp5tW71qYI

Early model XC90 doing its thang at 9mins, XC70 at 26 min and XC90 again straight after.
I can't see what these guys are trying to do?
If both front wheels are spinning on rollers then the 4wd will no engage so what are they proving?
Manual 4wd like a land-rover would always have drive to both axels so would drive over the rollers but what does it prove?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 21:08   #4
Fat Magpie

At a guess, I was hoping these systems would detect the rear wheels were not rotating and hence there was a problem.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 00:50   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
I can't see what these guys are trying to do?
If both front wheels are spinning on rollers then the 4wd will no engage so what are they proving?
Manual 4wd like a land-rover would always have drive to both axels so would drive over the rollers but what does it prove?
The haldex system on Volvos is linked to traction control and if both front wheels are spinning but the rears are stationary it will send power to the rear. Also on the newer cars with the 5th gen system (new XC90, v90 etc) power is always sent to the rear when setting off from rest.

It gets tricky when one wheel on an axle is spinning as it will then rely on the traction control system to apply the brakes to the spinning wheel thus sending power to the stationary one.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 00:56   #6
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Hmmm, that didn't seem to happen on the Volvo?
I looked at it and thought maybe the 4wd was happy if both front wheels were rotating at the same speed?
Maybe not, would be interesting to know for sure?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 09:21   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

They seem to do okay when it's one front wheel on the ground but not so well when it's one rear wheel. I think this is because with just one wheel of the axle on the ground the car is relying on both the AWD system to send power to both axles and the traction control to brake the free spinning wheel. On an older car, the rear brakes are more likely to have weakened than the fronts?

The other thing I would add is there are not many real life situations where you would have zero traction on three wheels.

Interesting the older V70 in this second vid which has thermo viscous coupling based AWD does okay on the one rear wheel test.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPNH4XRbWA
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 2nd, 2017 at 09:26.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 23:18   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

I have and have had many 4wd cars over the years and the worse system by far is on the Honda CRV. In the scenario shown in the video, even after a 2014 [its a 2014 model year car built in 2013] software update, only done by request, it still isn't up to much.

The problem with it is that the clutch pack is designed to transmit no more than about a maximum of 30% of available maximum torque to the back wheels and will slip and quickly overheat if that figure is exceeded. In fact the propshaft, rear diff and rear half shafts are very lightly built to handle no more than that and the slipping wet clutch in the diff housing is designed as a safety limiter. I strongly suspect that they use the same components for petrol and diesel engines and the diesel's torque shows its limitations much more than the available petrol engines would.

Most owners will never notice, but I did very early on, when on a grassy hill the CRV failed to climb it. The Volvo can transmit 50% to the back and it has far more torque to start with. The Volvo climbed the very steep hill in the same spot with no problem. So has every other vehicle in the same ground conditions always.

I'm not condemning the Honda, because its very unlikely that many people would ever get into such a situation, but it can happen, for instance where front wheels are mounting a raised muddy verge and the rear are on tarmac. You would expect the rear wheels to push forward at least until they themselves encountered the muddy or slippery raised verge, but the Honda just can't transmit enough torque to push its own body weight using the back wheels alone.
One would expect that having paid for a 4wd car, that it would at least make a visible effort, but no. The 4wd system does work on it, but is best as a 4 wheel assist where all four wheels are on a near identically slippery surface, such as a snow covered road or a flat muddy field with a firm bottom.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 23:41   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
They seem to do okay when it's one front wheel on the ground but not so well when it's one rear wheel. I think this is because with just one wheel of the axle on the ground the car is relying on both the AWD system to send power to both axles and the traction control to brake the free spinning wheel. On an older car, the rear brakes are more likely to have weakened than the fronts?

The other thing I would add is there are not many real life situations where you would have zero traction on three wheels.

Interesting the older V70 in this second vid which has thermo viscous coupling based AWD does okay on the one rear wheel test.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPNH4XRbWA
The viscous coupling systems have limited slip diffs at back like the older 960's had so if one slips it will lock and drive both wheels
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 13:35   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Default Animal farm moment

Found this thread and associated videos very interesting... Thank you.
Obviously some AWD setups are more equal than others, additionally, if some systems can just spin their wheels, it explains why a two wheel drive system with snow tyres can get better traction than an AWD without snow tyres in the white stuff.

Cool

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote