Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Race Chip V40 D4 (2012)

Views : 1199

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 00:26   #1
aston76

Default Race Chip V40 D4 (2012)

Hello everyone,

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Switzerland

I bought a V40 D4 of 2012 with 85000km.

For now very happy I will later put a power box.

I saw on this page a box race chip:

https://www.racechip.fr/shop/volvo/v...0kw-400nm.html

Obviously the gain in air interesting, but I wanted to know if the engine and the box can withstand such a difference in power.

Otherwise what advise me?

Thank you in advance.
aston76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 21:31   #2
aston76

Please Help me
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 22:58   #3
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston76 View Post
Please Help me
I would avoid any upgrade other than Polestar. There are a lot of bad engine remaps out there that can cause serious problems down the line. Actually thinking about it your MY doesn't have a Polestar map available - it first appeared for 2015 D4s. A D4 has lots of power anyway, so enjoy the ride .
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white

Last edited by Acer; Oct 9th, 2017 at 23:25.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acer For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 00:28   #4
aston76

Thanks for response, I saw on the net that some boards reprogramming Rica, what do you think ? Thanks.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 11:03   #5
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I wouldn't waste your money on a chip or tuning box, the race chips ones are very expensive and I've had issue with on fitted on a previous car, where it work fone for a few months then kept putting the car in limp mode with overfueling/fuel pressure issues, removed the tuning box and no further issues.

Any decent remap will be better than a chip and not that much more, I got my D3 remapped at a garage I trust and that was £195, and goes to 200bhp, map is brilliant transformed my C30, and not massive amount of black smoke on full throttle.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 21:46   #6
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
I wouldn't waste your money on a chip or tuning box, the race chips ones are very expensive and I've had issue with on fitted on a previous car, where it work fone for a few months then kept putting the car in limp mode with overfueling/fuel pressure issues, removed the tuning box and no further issues.

Any decent remap will be better than a chip and not that much more, I got my D3 remapped at a garage I trust and that was £195, and goes to 200bhp, map is brilliant transformed my C30, and not massive amount of black smoke on full throttle.
Was that a polestar remap? I thought only Volvo had access to the software. I agree that you shouldn't mess around with chips. More trouble than they are worth. I knew a bloke who had his Volvo 2.5T engine's liners split after getting it chipped.
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 17:46   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Was that a polestar remap? I thought only Volvo had access to the software. I agree that you shouldn't mess around with chips. More trouble than they are worth. I knew a bloke who had his Volvo 2.5T engine's liners split after getting it chipped.
You can get your car remapped by other companies and not just the Volvo polestar map. I am not sure on your V40 but the Volvo tuner wanting a remap, tend to go towards MTE / Shark / Rica etc who actually send out remote devices for you to plug into your car and do it yourself. I think for you also Heico are an option as well (Not sure if they do remaps but they do custom work with Volvo's as well)

+1 on scoobysn7x, stay clear of tuning boxes, its just like a temporary patch and override your computers ECU .... all the ones I tried with previous cars just tend to over fuel the car.

What car did the guy have that had the liners split? most likely same engine as mine as it is known as a common problem, there is a block shim that is needed for it for just a remap and I highly doubt you will need it on yours at all.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 20:08   #8
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
You can get your car remapped by other companies and not just the Volvo polestar map. I am not sure on your V40 but the Volvo tuner wanting a remap, tend to go towards MTE / Shark / Rica etc who actually send out remote devices for you to plug into your car and do it yourself. I think for you also Heico are an option as well (Not sure if they do remaps but they do custom work with Volvo's as well)

+1 on scoobysn7x, stay clear of tuning boxes, its just like a temporary patch and override your computers ECU .... all the ones I tried with previous cars just tend to over fuel the car.

What car did the guy have that had the liners split? most likely same engine as mine as it is known as a common problem, there is a block shim that is needed for it for just a remap and I highly doubt you will need it on yours at all.
Polestar is the only map recommended, tested and approved by Volvo. I wouldn't risk anything else on my car.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 18:01   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Volvo will only recommend Polestar as they went joint with Polestar. Again there are many other good reputable Volvo performance mappers out there with a long track record.

I looked at a polestar map for mine, didn't really gain much at all and was incredibly expensive for what it was (I think you are paying for the badge really)

If you are in or care about the manufacture warranty then yes have a Polestar map, but there are other maps which are just as good for a fraction of the cost and are just as reliable.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote